Air Canada video Interview

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

beaver1986
Rank 1
Rank 1

Air Canada video Interview

Post by beaver1986 »

i heard paople have been invited for the video interview. I guess this is a new thing cause i can't find any valuable informations on internet.
Did anyone do it already? what kind of questions did they ask?
---------- ADS -----------

shabadoo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Air Canada video Interview

Post by shabadoo »

This is not meant to be rude but you should probably brush up on your English skills. Learn how to use capital letters and spellcheck.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Your comment comes off as rude.

Your post also contains grammatical errors.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Actually, spelling and grammar count for most of your marks. Pilots operate mostly on paper, not jet fuel. No professional company will hire you if you are feckless with your paperwork and you are toast if you use the shorthand you might use in a text message.

It's true that a lighter touch might have been more polite...

Video interview! That's actually a good thing because you can practise. Use Skype (or equivalent) to practise with a friend, wear a suit, get a haircut, practise your delivery, your speech, looking at the camera; record the whole thing and be ruthless in your self-criticism. Practise eliminating "ums" and strange expressions, use a calm demeanour and stay cool! Don't ever lose sight of the fact that you are a professional so stay dignified.

Then do it all again until you get it perfect. Think about how stupid our Prime Minister Little Potato looks when he stutters or says all those "ums" when he's on camera?

Winston Churchill said it takes hours of practise to be spontaneous - he wasn't kidding, he practised his speeches in front of a mirror and in front of his wife.

Let us know how it went?

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
beaver1986
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by beaver1986 »

shabadoo wrote:This is not meant to be rude but you should probably brush up on your English skills. Learn how to use capital letters and spellcheck.
Good Afternoon,

I heard AC is sending invitations for the video-interview. I have been looking on internet for valuable information regarding the time given to answer, type and number of questions, etc.
I am assuming this is a new process to interview candidates, since i can not find many information as i hoped.
Does anyone have done it with AC yet?

Thank you!

@shabadoo if my english was not English, you should not have replied unless your english isn't any better! Peace man!

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

There really isn't anything "helpful" out there because there doesn't need to be. It's a little strange recording yourself, but I felt comfortable after a question or two. Just answer the questions they give you using your experiences throughout your career. It's not really anything you can "study" for.

shabadoo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shabadoo »

I'm sorry if I offended anyone and perhaps the tone of my post was a bit on the harsh side.
My intention was to stress the importance of basic writing skills.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

Beaver1986 do you even have a video interview?

beaver1986
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by beaver1986 »

Oxi wrote:Beaver1986 do you even have a video interview?
is that relevant for you?

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

Beaver you came here for advice and you got lots, perhaps a little gratitude and less attitude would be in order?

"What's it doing now?"
a380super
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by a380super »

Check your PM Beaver.
All the best.

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

If some of the members of our little group have no class, it should not affect how WE deal with one another. If you are looking for work, there is definitely a competitive posture that we tend to assume as we are all looking out for number one. But we still need to help out. There is no excuse for screwing your buddy as he might, in fact, end up in your cockpit or at least sharing a couch in your ready room.

It's a very small industry and your character will have the strongest affect on your career. It becomes obvious very quickly how you interact and which one of you would like to be the one that nobody wants to fly with? Even with a bare commercial, you are asking to be admitted to the industry AS A PROFESSIONAL. That means you have to assume responsibility for your behaviour right away. Flying is a dream come true for many but you have so many aspects of your chosen career that you have to get right, you do not have any time to be complacent.

Can you do that?

"What's it doing now?"
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Thanks Porter. Now everybody is doing skype style interviews. ;)

My advice is spend a few hours recording yourself answering the types of questions you think will be on the interview. It's quite an eye opener to watch yourself and see how you come across on video. You notice weird stuff, like how messy your office is behind you, weird mannerisms you didn't realise you had, all of a sudden your nose gets really itchy for no reason at all, and you find yourself thinking about weird stuff. Its really easy to start talking in circles and babbling. Rehearse your material and examples of a time when...but still you have to come across as if you didn't have "canned answers".

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

From the experiences I've heard of, and had, the short recorded clips are awkward. 30 seconds to read the question and prep, align yourself in the marks on the screen and then record. 30 seconds to answer a yes or no question and then a few are 2-3 minutes for longer answers. There is no feedback. There seem to be a slew of different questions that are rotated through. All are very straightforward.

It looks like a simple pre screening before a proper face to face interview.

beaver1986
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by beaver1986 »

i got pfo'd after 4 days from my video interview.... based on 18 questions that had to be answered with a yes or no, and 4 open questions.
how can you evaluate someone just like that?
i have aviation degree, glass cockpit and jet experience and 5000hrs total and have been working in the Air Canada express for 4 years.
i bet that if i have had one of my parents working there it would have been different...
I say that because i have evidences that people with less than 2 years in the aircanada express and with parents in AC were interviewed and hired (to be eligible for the interview, the PML agreement states "min 2 years").
NICE JOB TO BE THE ICONIC SYMBOL OF THE COUNTRY!

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Did you copy and paste that into multiple threads? Why are you so butthurt?

There are many telltale signs and indicators and non verbal cues that can be noted from those short video recordings. They compile that information with some background checks (social media) and can determine plenty about someones character and personality. I'm no expert, but my post secondary was mostly related to recruitment and selection in business.

beaver1986
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by beaver1986 »

Rowdy wrote:Did you copy and paste that into multiple threads? Why are you so butthurt?

There are many telltale signs and indicators and non verbal cues that can be noted from those short video recordings. They compile that information with some background checks (social media) and can determine plenty about someones character and personality. I'm no expert, but my post secondary was mostly related to recruitment and selection in business.
NO FB OR INSTAGRAM.
another reason?

beaver1986
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by beaver1986 »

Rowdy wrote:Did you copy and paste that into multiple threads? Why are you so butthurt?

you bet i am!
cause now i have to accept the job and leave the country to go in the middle east to make some decent money in a long term prospective.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

beaver1986 wrote:

you bet i am!
cause now i have to accept the job and leave the country to go in the middle east to make some decent money in a long term prospective.
Which express carrier are you with?

Doubtful that its jazz, or you'd be on the old PML having been there for 4 years, but still possible if you didn't check the box the first time around. If it is the case, on the A pay scale, you'll be making some pretty decent money there that should preclude you from ever having to go overseas.

Leaving Georgian, Sky, or maybe EVAS. If GGN or Evas and you're on the 1900, it's highly unlikely they'll hire you even with 5000 hours of "glass cockpit" experience. (Does a 1900 even qualify as "glass" these days?) If you were on the RJ or EMJ at either of the last two, maybe there was something in your training record or personnel file that precluded them inviting you for an interview?

It's also possible that you just didn't answer the questions the way they were looking for, or didn't conduct yourself in the way they wanted. It is just a video interview after all, they read into a LOT of things like body language and mannerisms even though they may not be accurate.

Regardless, try your luck again next year and see if it's any different?

Ancient
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ancient »

So uh Beaver, what questions did they ask?

Return to “Employment Forum”