Commutability?

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

yycinformer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Commutability?

Post by yycinformer »

Anyone have any insight on schedules and if it's commutable particular from out west? I hear they have jumpseat agreement with Westjet.
---------- ADS -----------

Teeg
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Commutability?

Post by Teeg »

you could group your days off... at 10 Guaranteed days off per month, you might be able too, based on seniority.
I still had a crash pad while "visiting" home twice a month.
if you had no intentions to eventually move, I wouldn't risk it.
WJ loads were always heavy.

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

No idea why you'd want to work for Porter and live in Calgary... Toronto is a million times better; weather, things to do, etc...

Just my $0.02

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Commuting can be done at Porter, although it may not be ideal for your situation; given your location. Porter has always maintained that crew can live anywhere they want as long as they can meet the 2 hour reserve call out as stipulated in their administrative guide. That being said, it's your responsibility to show up for your scheduled shifts and reserve call-outs; otherwise, booking off will apply. Porter has 40 hours of sick time, with each day being 4 hours worth; in essence 10 days per year. Booking-off because your "sick" and can't make your call-out because your commuting, isn't going to get you very far; likely the door, if management finds out you're abusing the system.

As a new hire you can expect to be on reserve for some time. This time frame can vary to short (a few months) to a year. It all depends on your hire date, and how many classes are expected behind you. For example, if you're hired in January, you can reasonably expect 3 more classes behind you, thus putting 30 people behind you by the end of the year; more if there is higher attrition. Hence the first year, until you build seniority and can hold the schedule you want (in this case I would bid high credit 3 and 4 day pairings, while trying to group days off together), I would seriously plan on having a crash pad in Toronto and spending more nights away from home than at home. Paying two rents may be out of the question given the salary and your financial situation.

If you're out in YYC, you're commuting a heck of ways to start/end your pairings. Porter does indeed have a reciprocal jumpseat agreement with Westjet/Encore. Going through Calgary to Winnipeg to Thunder Bay to Toronto. Paying the taxes, fees, and AIF will cut into your salary. I'm not trying to discourage you from commuting, just raising awareness. Encore based out of YYC may be the better bet in this case given that you want to remain close to home.

All the best in your decision!

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu

Return to “Porter Airlines”