Interview Questions

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Interview Questions

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Many members of the community have recently PM'd me for the set list of interview questions at Porter. Searching the forums may reveal some of the questions that have been used before. The questions aren't that dissimilar to that of other regional companies (Jazz, Sky, Encore, etc.)

For those looking for more information on the interview process.

It's a panel style interview, with 3 or 4 people comprised of people from the flight operations team and/or human resources. The interview normally takes 15-20 minutes, while others have gone as long as 30 mins. Before the interview, the panel will introduce themselves, and try to make you comfortable. One person will ask a question, while the others potentially write down your answer. The interviewers have a set list of questions that they will ask you. These questions range from behavioral, to operational, and technical.

For example, here are some questions that may be asked ...

- "Your flying with a certain Captain that seems to disregard the SOPs, although safety isn't compromised, How would you deal with this individual? What if safety was compromised?"

- "During an irregular operation (IROPS) situation (ie diverting to YYZ due fog at YTZ) causing a delay what could you do to help passengers?"

- "What are some of the challenges Porter will face in the future? What about other regional airlines?"

- "What do you know about RNP, LPV, SCDA, and PMA approaches? What about RVOP/LVOP?"

All the best to those who will be interviewing in the near future.

Be prepared, be yourself, and you should do just fine!
---------- ADS -----------

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
lonewolf
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Interview Questions

Post by lonewolf »

Not necessarily in order...
- Tell me about your career to date
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- What are the challenges facing Porter?
- Tell me about a time when you had to multi-task
- What is your greatest accomplishment to date?
- Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a co-worker
- Tell me about a time when things didn't go according to plan
- Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond
- Why should we hire you?
- Have you applied to any of the other regionals? (Jazz, Encore, Georgian)
- Can you report to a 2 hour call out?
- What do you enjoy doing for fun?
- What is one misconception your co-workers have about you?

Julie, Troy, and John on interview panel.

Porter seems to have a pretty heavy emphasis on hiring woman. I've seen 5000 hour male pilots with an ATPL PFO'd in favour of 1000 hour woman instructors/pilots (CPL only) who have never seen the inside of a cloud. Good Luck to all those who apply/applied.

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

lonewolf wrote:
Porter seems to have a pretty heavy emphasis on hiring woman. I've seen 5000 hour male pilots with an ATPL PFO'd in favour of 1000 hour woman instructors/pilots (CPL only) who have never seen the inside of a cloud. Good Luck to all those who apply/applied.
I'm not sure where you're getting your stats.
Out of the last 50 on the seniority list, 3 are women. So far the the lowest-time new hire was 1000h candidate from the Destination Porter program who happens to be male.

Porter puts a very heavy emphasis on attitude and personality. If you're a 5000h pilot that thinks you're a shoe-in for the job and that attitude comes across in the interview, that's a big mark against you.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

chipmunk wrote: Porter puts a very heavy emphasis on attitude and personality. If you're a 5000h pilot that thinks you're a shoe-in for the job and that attitude comes across in the interview, that's a big mark against you.
Big ol' plus one for this comment. Porter does a great job of separating the wheat from the chaff regardless of what your undercarriage looks like.

Be upfront and honest in your interview as these guys will see right through you! They do a fantastic job interviewing. Porter is a great place to hang your hat.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
final28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by final28 »

Does anyone have any info or suggestions for completing the Porter video interview?
I was invited to do a 'digital interview', of which the first part was written answers and the second looks to be video recording.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

final28 wrote:Does anyone have any info or suggestions for completing the Porter video interview?
I was invited to do a 'digital interview', of which the first part was written answers and the second looks to be video recording.
What is leadership to you? what is a team player... etc etc All real HR style questions. Like said above, they are heavily into personality at Porter. Just wear a nice shirt and tie :mrgreen:

Return to “Porter Airlines”