Retention Bonus

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, Sulako, North Shore

WF9F
Rank 3
Rank 3

Retention Bonus

#1 Post by WF9F » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:05 pm

Hearing rumors of a retention bonus for Porter pilots, any details??
---------- ADS -----------

marakii
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Retention Bonus

#2 Post by marakii » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:22 pm

WF9F wrote:Hearing rumors of a retention bonus for Porter pilots, any details??
Are their minimums still at 1500 hours " real expectations" ?

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

#3 Post by chipmunk » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:38 am

marakii wrote: Are their minimums still at 1500 hours " real expectations" ?
There have been several 1000 hr new hires, all through the Destination Porter program; 1500h is definitely a reasonable number these days. The last few of classes have a mix of a couple lower time (1000- 1500h ish) folks with the rest being fairly high time.

marakii
Rank 3
Rank 3

#4 Post by marakii » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:12 am

chipmunk wrote:
marakii wrote: Are their minimums still at 1500 hours " real expectations" ?
There have been several 1000 hr new hires, all through the Destination Porter program; 1500h is definitely a reasonable number these days. The last few of classes have a mix of a couple lower time (1000- 1500h ish) folks with the rest being fairly high time.
If you had a mix of log book time around 800 hours and the rest about 300 hours as an airliner simulator instructor , would that help?

I know the 300 simulator instructor time is not TC legit bug just the experience in teaching systems, CRM, emergency procedures, etc.

Just wanted to get a feel on how employers see this jetliner simulator instructing "experience".

Thanks

carnie
Rank 2
Rank 2

#5 Post by carnie » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:20 am

You are joking right?

altiplano
Rank 10
Rank 10

#6 Post by altiplano » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:35 am

Is it a FFS simulator? What type?

Nonetheless, Sim instruction isn't flying time.

IMO you would do a disservice to yourself to include it in your resume or logbook. I know how desperate low timers are to get hours, but those don't count, flying the simulator doesn't count, let alone sitting in the back.

I think they would see your position as "CRJ (or whatever type) Sim Instructor" being a plus on your job experience though.

Lots of jobs out there right now. I can't imagine people are having a difficult time getting a good seat.

marakii
Rank 3
Rank 3

#7 Post by marakii » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:48 am

altiplano wrote:Is it a FFS simulator? What type?

Nonetheless, Sim instruction isn't flying time.

IMO you would do a disservice to yourself to include it in your resume or logbook. I know how desperate low timers are to get hours, but those don't count, flying the simulator doesn't count, let alone sitting in the back.

I think they would see your position as "CRJ (or whatever type) Sim Instructor" being a plus on your job experience though.

Lots of jobs out there right now. I can't imagine people are having a difficult time getting a good seat.
I don't count the simulator instructor time as a means of getting a job, just to see having this type of "other experience" in helping to get a position. I know it doesn't countil and it's not flying that's all.

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

#8 Post by chipmunk » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:53 am

marakii wrote:
I don't count the simulator instructor time as a means of getting a job, just to see having this type of "other experience" in helping to get a position. I know it doesn't countil and it's not flying that's all.
It would probably put you "above" another 800h candidate with no sim instructor time, but that's not the only consideration hiring boards take into account. (And as noted by others above, sim instructor time is definitely not part of your TT.)

Why don't you come to the Open House on Nov 23 and ask the question in person? Lots of face time with hiring personnel and Flt Ops management. (RSVP is required, info on another thread here.)

marakii
Rank 3
Rank 3

#9 Post by marakii » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:08 am

chipmunk wrote:
marakii wrote:
It would probably put you "above" another 800h candidate with no sim instructor time, but that's not the only consideration hiring boards take into account. (And as noted by others above, sim instructor time is definitely not part of your TT.)

Why don't you come to the Open House on Nov 23 and ask the question in person? Lots of face time with hiring personnel and Flt Ops management. (RSVP is required, info on another thread here.)
I know it doesn't count as part of TT of course. I did attend the open house last year and it was exciting to see the range of ages from waterloo students to 55 year Olds.

I talked to the guy that hires and they're looking at people that have "2.pilot crew time" and not necessarily on twins .
It was a nice time for sure.

dhc#
Rank 4
Rank 4

#10 Post by dhc# » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:14 am

To the OP, see this thread from a few months back, had some retention info...scroll about halfway down page.

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=117067&start=25

Return to “Porter Airlines”