Commuting Policy?

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Jack02
Rank 0
Rank 0

Commuting Policy?

Post by Jack02 »

I am considering applying at Porter in the near future. One major thing that appeals to me as apposed to the AC express carriers is the commuting policy. I live in Fredericton, NB where Porter operates 2 direct flights per day to YOW and Encore operates a handful more. My question is would Porter let me commute from Fredericton to Ottawa on a daily basis? Would Porter pay for this commute?
Thanks for the answers! -Jack
---------- ADS -----------

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Commuting Policy?

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Evening Jack,

Porter's Commuter Policy is recent to the pilot group.

Currently, Porter allows individual to live anywhere they want as long as they meet the 2 hour call out when called on reserve.

Porter's commuting policy is similar to that of other regional airlines; with regards to booking yourself at least 2 flights arriving at least 1 hour before your report time. There are procedures in place if you can't make the flights. Crew Sched still expects you to come in, and will put you to work; and if there isn't anything they will release you and you will lose out on the credit for that day. Commuters are then expected to commute home on the next available flight once there pairing is complete.

Commuters can list themselves as "Commuters" within Staff Travel and will have a better boarding priority than leisure flyers. The must also pay the standard standby travel fees. However Commuters can also list themselves as a Jumpseat and have those fees waived.

Porter allows Commuters from YOW, YUL, and YQG going to YTZ at the moment.

Hope that helps

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
modi13
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by modi13 »

Grey_Wolf wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:12 pm Porter allows Commuters from YOW, YUL, and YQG going to YTZ at the moment.
Is this going to change in the future? Would it be possible to commute from west of Thunder Bay to start a pairing there, or are only those three cities going to be options for commuters?

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

Thunder Bay is basically the furthest west that Porter flies, so there won't be anything official for sure in that case, until/if that happens.

A bunch of pilots "unofficially" commute to YTZ ... Sudbury, Timmins, Kingston are the ones I know off the top of my head that aren't included in the policy. You just have to have a crash pad near YTZ for the early starts/late finishes or if you're on reserve until you hold a commutable schedule, and then be prepared to spend some nights in Toronto due to IROPs or whatever. You have to book off and use your sick time if you cannot make it to work when you "unofficially" commute.

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

Jack02 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:00 pm I am considering applying at Porter in the near future. One major thing that appeals to me as apposed to the AC express carriers is the commuting policy. I live in Fredericton, NB where Porter operates 2 direct flights per day to YOW and Encore operates a handful more. My question is would Porter let me commute from Fredericton to Ottawa on a daily basis? Would Porter pay for this commute?
Thanks for the answers! -Jack
"Daily Basis" is pushing it - i.e. impossible! The chance of you getting the YOW base right away is reasonable, but you'd be on reserve for a while. You couldn't commute on reserve. If you did hold a block (even in YTZ) you wouldn't be able to commute in to fly a full one-day pairing and commute back to Freddy. (Not sure when the earliest flight from Freddy arrives in YOW, but I think it's mid morning? We don't do layovers there at the moment.) You'd have to bid multi days.

Encore would probably cost you $30-$40 to jump seat, Porter is free to jump seat (and standby would be $15) and no, Porter doesn't pay for this!! Think about it... Lots of guys and gals drive hours to get to work (or take the go train or whatever) so if the company paid for flights, they'd have to pay for gas/go train fares, or even TTC fares, and that's just not going to happen.

Return to “Porter Airlines”