Porter Airlines shifts restart of flights date to June 29

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Porter Airlines shifts restart of flights date to June 29

Post by Grey_Wolf »

We'll know next week how many are being recalled (July 12th)
---------- ADS -----------

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

Id imagine the first few months will be fairly scaled back. I cant imagine the schedule being even close to half of what it was prior to the shutdown. Could be guns blazing going into 2022 who knows. I do think business travel will pick up despite what all the talking heads say, obviously good news for Porter but also many others.

TrustinThrust
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TrustinThrust »

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Sounds a lot like Flairs idea and a few weeks after we found out they have a loan at 18% interest.

PT6onH20
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PT6onH20 »

Valued at over $5 billion…..who’s fronting the bill on that?

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

That’s official list price. Probably half that given how desperate Embraer is for a sell.

eeeroger
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eeeroger »

There will be a lot of COPE in these threads by pilots who left Porter 17/18’. The salt has already been apparent throughout this pandemic. I think this is excellent news, great for Canadian aviation as a whole!

RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

Calling Realitychecks for assessment on this expansion

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

80 airplanes?

What gates are they going to get a Pearson?

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Incoming announcements from air Canada, westjet, sunwing and transat on fleet expansion. Everyone is about to jump on this and let the games begin!

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

montado wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:04 am Incoming announcements from air Canada, westjet, sunwing and transat on fleet expansion. Everyone is about to jump on this and let the games begin!
AC, WJ, and AT are all downsizing their fleets.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:06 am
montado wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:04 am Incoming announcements from air Canada, westjet, sunwing and transat on fleet expansion. Everyone is about to jump on this and let the games begin!
Oh is that how business works… westjet is going to downsize and make room for flair and porter to just eat up their market share and in 3 years they will still be stomping their feet saying lockdown! Flatten the curve!

Airlines are buying planes today for a plan 3 to 5 years away from now. Airlines are certainly not downsizing for 3 to 5 years from now. This is not the last we hear of aircraft orders in 2021 with Canadian airlines. All the airlines going to bring the big guns to the fight!

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Absolutely.

They downsized their fleet to weather the storm, but they'll come out of it looking to grow and acquire/protect market share.

The bigger threat to the large incumbents and all Canadian airlines really is the US and other foreign airlines which are already spooled up, they mostly kept their staff, they're hiring, they kept most of and are getting more airplanes.

Not mention they operate in jurisdictions that makes them competitive in the world from fuel taxes to fees... Meanwhile Canadian airports doubled fees, NavCanada upped rates, carbon tax grows...

World competitiveness is the largest threat facing Canadian airlines and Canadians in general.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:06 am
Not according to the AC MD&A.

Only permanent reduction for AC was Rouge WB and the jury is still out on whether AC looks to the A330 at Rouge.

AC is adding a total of 73 geared turbofan NB aircraft. The A220-300 is a direct competitor for the E2-195 in CASM in the 140 seat category.

I doubt that the boardroom at AC is overly concerned. Porter will require a global partnership in order to offer the product that AC does. And AC will no doubt match price, as will WJ.

I am guessing that Porter is trying to model after Breeze (Neeleman). Difference is a population base of 350 million vs 35 million.

I wish Porter luck but I also remember previous big announcements and mock ups for the Porter A220. And that all lead …….. nowhere.

Time will tell.

Dias
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dias »

eeeroger wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:41 am There will be a lot of COPE in these threads by pilots who left Porter 17/18’. The salt has already been apparent throughout this pandemic. I think this is excellent news, great for Canadian aviation as a whole!
Where would they have gone that they would now regret not sticking around 5 years to fly Embraers?

eeeroger
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eeeroger »

**** wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:59 am
eeeroger wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:41 am There will be a lot of COPE in these threads by pilots who left Porter 17/18’. The salt has already been apparent throughout this pandemic. I think this is excellent news, great for Canadian aviation as a whole!
Where would they have gone that they would now regret not sticking around 5 years to fly Embraers?
I don’t necessarily mean it like that. Just saying the tone on this forum this year has been one where everyone was hoping any airline’s success would evidently end in failure. But to answer your retort; I suppose anyone now stuck at the BOTL at AC, WS, AT, or Sunwing. Lifestyle and seniority matters to some people.
take care!

A380FC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by A380FC »

altiplano wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:26 am World competitiveness is the largest threat facing Canadian airlines and Canadians in general.
I think you nailed it here. US airlines have received billions in non-repayable grants and have been able to "permanently" eliminate all change and cancellation fees following Southwest's model. Will Porter and the Canadian Airlines follow suit? That is the million dollar question.

Porter is heavily dependent on ancillary revenues so if they try to copy the Americans, it will be a heavy reduction to the revenue base. But if they don't, for their US routes, why would any passengers on a non-basic fare choose Porter or any Canadian airlines when they can choose an American carrier and have the option to change/cancel with no fees?

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

I just don't get it. Trying to be something your not in this industry can be very costly. I'm overall bullish on Porter's business model but to me this is hard to understand. Porter does well with regional east coast ops out of YTZ on Dash 8s. Why take a risk like this, especially when you have not even turned a prop in over a year. As others mentioned getting gates out of YYZ wont be a cakewalk. Id assume they would fly out of the same terminal as WJA who won't exactly be happy with that. If this happens say they start running flights to YEG like it shows on the website for possible new routes. You would now have Air Canada, Westjet, Swoop, Flair, and now Porter all running that route. That's about as many airlines in the US that run JFK-LAX. Sure its not the same tail count between those carriers in the US but still, Canada, 38 Million vs 328 million in the US. Then again competition is good for this industry especially here. Certain people in the industry seem to think one of two things. Demand for air travel is gonna explode once all provinces are 100% open, and or trying to take advantage or the big carriers when their beaten down. However this could just be a joke like Flairs expansion, mind you will see how that pans out.

Time will tell...

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

780Pilot wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:50 pm I just don't get it. Trying to be something your not in this industry can be very costly. I'm overall bullish on Porter's business model but to me this is hard to understand. Porter does well with regional east coast ops out of YTZ on Dash 8s. Why take a risk like this, especially when you have not even turned a prop in over a year. As others mentioned getting gates out of YYZ wont be a cakewalk. Id assume they would fly out of the same terminal as WJA who won't exactly be happy with that. If this happens say they start running flights to YEG like it shows on the website for possible new routes. You would now have Air Canada, Westjet, Swoop, Flair, and now Porter all running that route. That's about as many airlines in the US that run JFK-LAX. Sure its not the same tail count between those carriers in the US but still, Canada, 38 Million vs 328 million in the US. Then again competition is good for this industry especially here. Certain people in the industry seem to think one of two things. Demand for air travel is gonna explode once all provinces are 100% open, and or trying to take advantage or the big carriers when their beaten down. However this could just be a joke like Flairs expansion, mind you will see how that pans out.

Time will tell...
The problem is they weren’t doing well as a YTZ dash operation. They lost 60 million in 2019 (yes best year of aviation in a while) according to the article with the lawsuit between them and billy bishop.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

780Pilot wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:50 pm I just don't get it. Trying to be something your not in this industry can be very costly. I'm overall bullish on Porter's business model but to me this is hard to understand. Porter does well with regional east coast ops out of YTZ on Dash 8s. Why take a risk like this, especially when you have not even turned a prop in over a year. As others mentioned getting gates out of YYZ wont be a cakewalk. Id assume they would fly out of the same terminal as WJA who won't exactly be happy with that. If this happens say they start running flights to YEG like it shows on the website for possible new routes. You would now have Air Canada, Westjet, Swoop, Flair, and now Porter all running that route. That's about as many airlines in the US that run JFK-LAX. Sure its not the same tail count between those carriers in the US but still, Canada, 38 Million vs 328 million in the US. Then again competition is good for this industry especially here. Certain people in the industry seem to think one of two things. Demand for air travel is gonna explode once all provinces are 100% open, and or trying to take advantage or the big carriers when their beaten down. However this could just be a joke like Flairs expansion, mind you will see how that pans out.

Time will tell...
The problem is they weren’t doing well as a YTZ dash operation. They lost 60 million in 2019 (yes best year of aviation in a while) according to the article with the lawsuit between them and billy bishop.

Return to “Porter Airlines”