Commuting

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Di83
Rank 0
Rank 0

Commuting

Post by Di83 »

Hi guys, how’s commuting yul-yyz for a new fo ? How long would it take to switch to yul base, based on previous experience ?
---------- ADS -----------

ReliefTube
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Commuting

Post by ReliefTube »

Since our certification, base assignments are all seniority drawn (as far as I know) therefore switching bases has nothing to do with “previous experience” rather seniority at the company. That said, there usually isn’t many issues switching bases once vacancies are available and you have the seniority to hold it.

Commuting here I reckon would be difficult at first. Since the introduction of seniority based schedules, your ability to hold a block of time off would be completely based on seniority. In addition, it takes 6 months at the company for Air Canada passes to come in therefore you’d have to find another means of commuting to YUL outside of AC pass travel.

There are commuters here; people commute in from Vancouver, Halifax, St. John’s, etc. It can be done but I’ll allow you to form your own opinion on SR as a commutable employer as they don’t have any sort of commuter policy.

Di83
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Di83 »

What I meant by previous experience is maybe to hear from some one who accepted the job with one base and switched later to another.
Any ideas how often those vacancies open up ? Maybe better wait for yul to open up before even starting, I don’t mind being in a waiting pool for a month or two.

Thanks for the info btw.

straight2thepoint
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by straight2thepoint »

There’s plenty of FAs that commute and AC passes you have to wait for but you can commute on WestJet and Transat right away. And obviously the bus or train are options. Commuting on reserve sucks as you won’t get more than 6 days in a row off. Training from start to finish will take 2 months, by then, I’m sure at least one FO in yul will have upgraded or moved on

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

Why put yourself through the trouble? I’ve known many commuters as this company over the years - few of them stuck with it for very long.

There simply is no commuting policy in effect at Sky Regional. Being on reserve and having to commute in and stay at a crash pad for multiple nights a month is not a very desirable option. It’s going to be very difficult to get enough days off in a row to make it worthwhile to get a trip home as the company is prohibited from scheduling you for more than 6 reserve days in a row. That means that you end up with a schedule with a lot of four, five, and six-day blocks of reserve days, followed by two or three days off at the end of each. From a quality of life standpoint that’s going to be very difficult as you’re basically living in your crash pad full time when you’re not flying.

The good news is hiring is continuous for both bases. It’s been a little slower as of late, as attrition has been lower over the past few months but I suspect that it will be picking up again soon. If they’re not hiring for YUL base this month, I personally would wait a month or two as they will certainly be hiring for YUL again soon.

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

I guess 1500hrs and A’s written is still the minimum ?

straight2thepoint
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by straight2thepoint »

Seems not. Quite a few guys lately with just the CPL. don’t know if they have A’s done and haven’t submitted or if they’re less than 1500

Di83
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Di83 »

Babar350 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:01 am I guess 1500hrs and A’s written is still the minimum ?
Not sure , i got cpl with exams done.

Thanks for the input guys, i think ill wait for yul base to open.

iamthecaptainnow13
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by iamthecaptainnow13 »

If you guys/gals end goal is mainline I recommend JAZZ.
last ground school
48 students
44 Jazz
1 military
1 Emirates
2 SkyRegional

If you want hours to head overseas this is the best-case scenario. Fast upgrades and a fun plane to fly. Moral has gone down a lot so be prepared to hear lots of complaining from the pilot group and Fa group about working conditions.

Return to “Air Canada”