Direct Entry Captain Course

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

crj_705
Rank 3
Rank 3

Direct Entry Captain Course

Post by crj_705 »

Just curious...with the above direct entry captain course planned for Sept 9th, 2019 does this mean that SKR doesn't have any F/O's that are due or qualified for an upgrade??? Kinda sad if they do indeed have some 3-4 year F/O's just chomping at the bid yet the Company might just past them by...???
---------- ADS -----------

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Direct Entry Captain Course

Post by DanWEC »

Not "too" many 3-4 year FO's at Sky. They're usually unique situations for any number of reasons.

The main issue there is that while capt attrition has always been at a steady rate, the FO's previously hired at 2500 hours were upgradeable at the 2 years by the matrix (Also coincidentally eligible for flow to AC).

Now guys are getting in with 1000-1500 hours and can't see the left seat for an additional year maybe (6-700 hrs/ year). This created a gap, necessitating the DEC's

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

How much are Captains paid at Sky?

Is it hourly? Guarantee? Salary?

How much are they working?

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

DanWEC wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:41 pm Not "too" many 3-4 year FO's at Sky. They're usually unique situations for any number of reasons.

The main issue there is that while capt attrition has always been at a steady rate, the FO's previously hired at 2500 hours were upgradeable at the 2 years by the matrix (Also coincidentally eligible for flow to AC).

Now guys are getting in with 1000-1500 hours and can't see the left seat for an additional year maybe (6-700 hrs/ year). This created a gap, necessitating the DEC's
Easy solution. Lower the matrix. Seems to be working just fine for Jazz. Make the qualification and PIC assessments difficult and it will weed out the weak and unprepared. I'm sure there are some pilots at SKR that would make great Captains but do not meet the matrix.

metalbusdriver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by metalbusdriver »

altiplano wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:09 pm How much are Captains paid at Sky?

Starting pay $80.70 an hour, 75 hour monthly gaurentee but most flying blocks around 80-85hrs.
Working 16-19 days a month with 11 days off a month minimum.
Overtime over 85hrs paid at 1.5x

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

metalbusdriver wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:21 pm

Starting pay $80.70 an hour, 75 hour monthly gaurentee but most flying blocks around 80-85hrs.
Is that FO rates?

MCB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MCB »

dialdriver wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:25 pm

Is that FO rates?
It’s sad because I don’t even know if you’re kidding or not. Those are indeed the Captain rates.

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

MCB wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:58 pm
dialdriver wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:25 pm

Is that FO rates?
It’s sad because I don’t even know if you’re kidding or not. Those are indeed the Captain rates.
I'm kidding, but these are truly pathetic.

Cargo Fire
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cargo Fire »

[/quote]
Easy solution. Lower the matrix. Seems to be working just fine for Jazz. Make the qualification and PIC assessments difficult and it will weed out the weak and unprepared. I'm sure there are some pilots at SKR that would make great Captains but do not meet the matrix.
[/quote]

You sound like so many of the 2000 hour wonders that I fly with. Absolutely zero real world experience and depth to draw on. Zero stories of Deals made with a higher Power. You know. Get me out of this shit and I'll never do that again. Zero 705 Command or any real command and a whopping 15 months in the right seat where you "learned it all" plus I'm sure you have a College degree and that puts you way above the lowly guy that spent 7 years in the North discovering a new found appreciation for Religion and a quality Dry Cleaner.

Yes, it's worked out so well for Jazz. That's why they sent out internal memos on how to properly land a CRJ. Guess the bent air frames got expensive. Or the internal memo on how to Not fly through P56 into DCA and almost get shot down. Yup. Working really well for them. PULL UP in Whitehorse!

So yeah, you're right, lower the Matrix. Hell, just get rid of it. We know you can master Commanding the ship through LGA and the rest of the busiest airspace in the World there Sparky!

Too bad you're going to discover Religion and learn your lessons with J Class passengers behind you in a nice Jet instead of a clapped out King Air going to Pikangikum. But yeah, lower the Matrix. It's working so well for Jazz. God Speed Sparky!

mato
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mato »

So angry!

Cargo Fire
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cargo Fire »

mato wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:26 pmSo angry!
No. Not really angry. More like just shaking my head. It's actually sad to think of all the professionals that I flew with up north that had many many thousands of hours and passed on that knowledge to me. They had to as there wasn't a Matrix after 9/11, just a lot of time to learn that I'll never regret.

Now there is just a ton of entitled inexperienced people that think somehow they have paid their dues. I mean shit....they sat right seat for 2 years on a Q400, they are more than entitled to a Jet Command......right? And they know the books inside out, what else is there to know about flying?? Give me the 4 bars, I'm owed it.

Some good front page stories coming I'm sure. Although I hope I'm wrong. Jazz I already touched on. Skyregional already made the news with diversions to IAD and ALB last year. That wouldn't have happened with the old experienced guys that had years of events to draw on. And those only cost $$$ and bad press. So far. Yeah. Let's forget the matrix. Congratulations Sparky, you're now a Skipper!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Cargo Fire wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:05 pm
You sound like so many of the 2000 hour wonders that I fly with. Absolutely zero real world experience and depth to draw on. Zero stories of Deals made with a higher Power. You know. Get me out of this shit and I'll never do that again. Zero 705 Command or any real command and a whopping 15 months in the right seat where you "learned it all" plus I'm sure you have a College degree and that puts you way above the lowly guy that spent 7 years in the North discovering a new found appreciation for Religion and a quality Dry Cleaner.

Yes, it's worked out so well for Jazz. That's why they sent out internal memos on how to properly land a CRJ. Guess the bent air frames got expensive. Or the internal memo on how to Not fly through P56 into DCA and almost get shot down. Yup. Working really well for them. PULL UP in Whitehorse!

So yeah, you're right, lower the Matrix. Hell, just get rid of it. We know you can master Commanding the ship through LGA and the rest of the busiest airspace in the World there Sparky!

Too bad you're going to discover Religion and learn your lessons with J Class passengers behind you in a nice Jet instead of a clapped out King Air going to Pikangikum. But yeah, lower the Matrix. It's working so well for Jazz. God Speed Sparky!
At first glance that sounds like a valid concern, but let's pick it apart a bit:

1) Deals with god
What deals made with god in a 703 bush operatiom are applicable to a 705 operation? Most stories I have heard and/or experienced are caused by shitty equipment, shitty weather and pilots afraid of losing their job. Even the most mel'd airline plane will have better equipment than a fully functional 206. Afraid of losing your job? Most 705 ops are unionised. About as safe as you can get in that regards. Weather? A 705 plane operating in typical airline ops can reach more alternates than an overladed navajo ever will.

2) there seems to be a mindset that those war stories are required to make it as a pilot. I disagree. I have more respect for a pilot who never found himself in such situations than one who has a ton of stories like that (with otherwise comparable expierences)

3) 2000 hour wonders. We have 2000 hour wonders now? How much experience would you say one needs? Could it be that answer would be the hours you had when you upgraded? If you operate in the right seat for 2 years flying the same limited amount of routes, why would a sharp FO not be able to upgrade? There seems to be a misconception that lowering the required hours to -for example- 2000 hours would mean that every 2000 hour pilot would have to be upgraded. Not at all, just allow it for people that are ready. Have a selection process going on for upgrades, don't just blindly follow seniority.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
SeñorPiloto
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SeñorPiloto »

Cargo Fire wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:05 pm
[/quote]

[/quote]

NAILED IT!

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Zero 705 command time? Of course they have zero before upgrading at what would be their first 705 company. Frig, places like sky are where you go after the 703/704 world. You don't go sideways from one 705 over to sky. "Nailed it"? Hardly.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

So Sky Captains make 73k a year then? Welcome to the world of tomorrow I guess.

Anticyclone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anticyclone »

Not sure about this company procedure but did they issue an internal bidding for sep 9th class? if yes can anyone share the results? just to see how desperate they are,
Thanks.

GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoinVertical »

Anticyclone wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:43 pm Not sure about this company procedure but did they issue an internal bidding for sep 9th class? if yes can anyone share the results? just to see how desperate they are,
Thanks.
Don't work there, but back in May a buddy of mine showed me the list for the next upgrade course - 3 out of 8 spaces awarded in YYZ, and 0 out of 8 awarded in YUL. So pretty desperate I'd say.

Anticyclone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Anticyclone »

GoinVertical wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:14 pm
Anticyclone wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:43 pm Not sure about this company procedure but did they issue an internal bidding for sep 9th class? if yes can anyone share the results? just to see how desperate they are,
Thanks.
Don't work there, but back in May a buddy of mine showed me the list for the next upgrade course - 3 out of 8 spaces awarded in YYZ, and 0 out of 8 awarded in YUL. So pretty desperate I'd say.
Cheers mate.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

With that pay, they may as well just upgrade some 2000 hour co-joes and see what happens.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

No wonder they're running out of captains. Even if they work you 85hrs a month, that's still just a hair above $80,000.

I wonder if anybody who meets the requirements would even be interested in that pay? Working conditions might be an improvement from swoop, but that's a pretty low bar.

Return to “Air Canada”