Is This The End Of SkyRegional?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Is This The End Of SkyRegional?

Post by hithere »

I’m sure Russ P got a very nice “parting gift” to shut it down
---------- ADS -----------

Splash
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Splash »

hithere wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:52 pm I’m sure Russ P got a very nice “parting gift” to shut it down
It was always likely to get shut down, just a matter of when,not if. Yes, there was probably always going to be a parting gift too.

P180
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by P180 »

You have not heard the last from Russ.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Maybe he's the "unknown" suitor that wooing Chorus. Shutdown one operation, take the CPA buyout and re-invest elsewhere.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:13 am Maybe he's the "unknown" suitor that wooing Chorus. Shutdown one operation, take the CPA buyout and re-invest elsewhere.
Any ‘capital’ that was sunk in to Skyregional was either done so by AC, or by RP and then repaid by AC. Skyregional was at best an ACMI service provider where AC supplied the aircraft, paid Skyregional back for MTC, likely provided the insurance, made available the EMB simulator, provided licenced dispatch, manuals, uniforms, and hangar space. So basically Skyregional supplied the ‘C’ (crew) in ACMI. RP provided an operating certificate and some operational managers.

In other words, any cheque from AC to RP likely had 6 zeroes, not 7. But who knows?

On the other hand, the market cap for CHR sits at $760MM. Want to buy a piece? You better have deep pockets.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

rudder wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:45 am
Loon-A-Tic wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:13 am Maybe he's the "unknown" suitor that wooing Chorus. Shutdown one operation, take the CPA buyout and re-invest elsewhere.
Any ‘capital’ that was sunk in to Skyregional was either done so by AC, or by RP and then repaid by AC. Skyregional was at best an ACMI service provider where AC supplied the aircraft, paid Skyregional back for MTC, likely provided the insurance, made available the EMB simulator, provided licenced dispatch, manuals, uniforms, and hangar space. So basically Skyregional supplied the ‘C’ (crew) in ACMI. RP provided an operating certificate and some operational managers.

In other words, any cheque from AC to RP likely had 6 zeroes, not 7. But who knows?

On the other hand, the market cap for CHR sits at $760MM. Want to buy a piece? You better have deep pockets.
I have no idea how deep his pockets and those of his "friends & colleagues" might be, do you.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:59 am
I have no idea how deep his pockets and those of his "friends & colleagues" might be, do you.
Well, I had a look at his business history and I don’t see anything that would have required a $100MM+ capital investment at startup. I do however see one corporate insolvency that resulted in liquidation.

RP’s ultimate treatment does not seem to have been much different than that dispensed to the owners of Air Georgian. You are used as a pawn to achieve a greater objective and then dispensed with when you have outlived your usefulness.

The connection at AC was CR. He is no longer a player. I see MR being entirely driven by cost cutting in the wake of the COVID decimated travel market. Skyregional did not fail. I will give you that. But if you are not the lead dog then you are simply following somebody else.

In this case I am certain that it was not personal. Just business.

haironfire
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by haironfire »

You forgot:

Canada 3000 Airlines
Skyservice Airlines

.... both of which I was a part of, as well as Sky Regional.

Oh how lucky me. Fun times Aviation in Canada.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Here's everything you ever need to know about defunct airlines in Canada:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_d ... _of_Canada

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

haironfire wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:27 am You forgot:

Canada 3000 Airlines
Skyservice Airlines

Curious, did you go this route for some reason in particular? Or was it forced on you, ie; did you get turned downed from more established airlines?
I assume you went to SR as a direct entry Captain, if that’s the case are you senior enough to hold it at Jazz or will you be looking for another DEC position, maybe Flair?
I only ask because some people chase metal and position but that comes with certain risks, some work out and some don’t, WJ would be an example of the risks paying off.
Anyhow, Jazz has a pretty decent top pay and the end of the contract, it won’t pay the same as a mainline carrier but a little less risky than a startup I would say

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:21 am Here's everything you ever need to know about defunct airlines in Canada:

They put Jazz in the defunct airlines list? haha

haironfire
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by haironfire »

mbav8r wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:16 am

Canada 3000 Airlines
Skyservice Airlines

Curious, did you go this route for some reason in particular? Or was it forced on you, ie; did you get turned downed from more established airlines?
I assume you went to SR as a direct entry Captain, if that’s the case are you senior enough to hold it at Jazz or will you be looking for another DEC position, maybe Flair?
I only ask because some people chase metal and position but that comes with certain risks, some work out and some don’t, WJ would be an example of the risks paying off.
Anyhow, Jazz has a pretty decent top pay and the end of the contract, it won’t pay the same as a mainline carrier but a little less risky than a startup I would say
Canada 3000 was a good move right out of military into a B757. After a few years upgrade to Captain and life was good, right up until C3 went under. But landed on feet DEC at Skyservice 2 weeks later, right up until it went under. Air Canada and Westjet not a good option financially for me. Left seat since 1997, and now we will see after the dust settles at Jazz. Then decisions???? I am certainly not chasing metal. I have flown big planes, small planes, it is only about finances and lifestyle for me. I have enough type ratings and don't want any more.

haironfire
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by haironfire »

Exactly.....
Chasing metal is like chasing girls....you always get left behind

For me as well...im done building my career now I'm building my retirement....

I learned long ago you can loose a lot of money chasing women but.....
You'll NEVER loose women chasing money :wink:

Happy Easter
Words of a very smart business man, and Thank You. Money and Lifestyle. Lifestyle to me = location, no commuting, and schedule.

An airplane is just an airplane. The view looks the same out the front window no matter what fancy machine you are in. (And I have even flown brand new machines, meaning CRJ700, 900, and 1000's on their VERY FIRST FLIGHTS right off the assembly line. And flown CSeries during certification testing. They are all just airplanes).

For those that know me obviously I have just given away my anonymity, so SHH.

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

Did someone say loose women

haironfire
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by haironfire »

FL030 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:49 am Did someone say loose women
It always comes back to this LOL, and SO IT SHOULD DAMMIT!

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

haironfire wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:03 am
mbav8r wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:16 am

Canada 3000 Airlines
Skyservice Airlines

Canada 3000 was a good move right out of military into a B757. After a few years upgrade to Captain and life was good, right up until C3 went under. But landed on feet DEC at Skyservice 2 weeks later, right up until it went under. Air Canada and Westjet not a good option financially for me. Left seat since 1997, and now we will see after the dust settles at Jazz. Then decisions???? I am certainly not chasing metal. I have flown big planes, small planes, it is only about finances and lifestyle for me. I have enough type ratings and don't want any more.
I hear you on the financial hit, they, all airlines with seniority want you to invest for a payoff way down the road, Jazz is a great place with a mature contract but right now things look kind of bleak. If you can’t hold onto your left seat, I’m fairly certain you could get a LOA to pursue a DEC somewhere, obviously the only option right now in Canada is Flair or god forbid Pivot gains any traction.
Anyhow good luck and welcome to Jazz

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
LTR123
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LTR123 »

rudder wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:12 pm
Loon-A-Tic wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:59 am
Well, I had a look at his business history and I don’t see anything that would have required a $100MM+ capital investment at startup. I do however see one corporate insolvency that resulted in liquidation.

RP’s ultimate treatment does not seem to have been much different than that dispensed to the owners of Air Georgian. You are used as a pawn to achieve a greater objective and then dispensed with when you have outlived your usefulness.

The connection at AC was CR. He is no longer a player. I see MR being entirely driven by cost cutting in the wake of the COVID decimated travel market. Skyregional did not fail. I will give you that. But if you are not the lead dog then you are simply following somebody else.

In this case I am certain that it was not personal. Just business.
No, a CPA 'partner' is not a pawn, it is a vendor, just like any other. If a vendor decides to put all of its eggs into one basket it is asking for insolvency. Air Georgian was an ineptly run helmet fire of a vendor so it lost its contract due to performance; SkyRegional was a solid vendor but lost its contract due to the pandemic. Different reasons, same result. The not so deep insight to be gained from these two examples, along with a few in the U.S, is don't go into the CPA business unless you are diversified, or you have enough scale to stand alone if need be and pose a local threat to your mainline. Chorus does both, though more the latter than the former.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

the-minister31 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:44 am
DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:21 am Here's everything you ever need to know about defunct airlines in Canada:

They put Jazz in the defunct airlines list? haha
Air Canada Jazz is defunct. The last aircraft has been repainted. It's Air Canada Express now.

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:43 pm
Air Canada Jazz is defunct. The last aircraft has been repainted. It's Air Canada Express now.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Air Canada Jazz was only a brand name, just as Air Canada Express is. The name changed in 2011 because Jazz wasn't the only regional carrier anymore. The company itself (Jazz Aviation) never changed, just the paint job.

I still find it weird to put it as a defunct airline...

Return to “Air Canada”