Upgrade Matrix

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
LicensedToThrill
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:49 pm

Upgrade Matrix

Post by LicensedToThrill » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:50 am

With the shortage of Captains, forecasted future hiring at AC and WestJet, etc will there be some leeway on the upgrade matrix? For example, Jazz upgrades tend to come pretty quick (as low as 6 months). A 1500 hour pilot at Encore would have to hit the hour requirement on the Q400 or wait 2 years.

The matrix in my opinion serves as checks and balances to ensure the person gets upgraded at the right time but is it really feasible considering the movement down the road?
---------- ADS -----------
  

altiplano
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3616
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:24 pm

Re: Upgrade Matrix

Post by altiplano » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:05 am

Imagine if there just hired people that could reasonably expected to do the job and went by seniority?

Wash people out of the upgrade if it doesn't stick, but hire people that can be a Captain when their number comes up.
---------- ADS -----------
  

YYZGDP
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:07 am

Re: Upgrade Matrix

Post by YYZGDP » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:20 pm

I could be wrong, but I think the matrix is a condition of the Suncor contract.
---------- ADS -----------
  

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1643
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 am

Re: Upgrade Matrix

Post by goingnowherefast » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:31 am

Just refuse all the overtime, and don't be afraid to call in sick or fatigued. With enough cancelled flights, they'll eventually have to acknowledge the pay and working condition gap to recruit anybody quickly upgrade-able. Give me a great schedule at 120 grand a year and I'll come fly for Encore (I already meet the matrix).

Can't wait till the new duty rules kick in in 14 months. Every reactive management team will be SCREWED!
---------- ADS -----------
  

Champdriver
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:56 am

Re: Upgrade Matrix

Post by Champdriver » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:02 am

They already schedule with the new duty rules so that won’t change much.

They were already cancelling a half dozen or more flights a day due to lack of crews and dealt with it by cutting a significant amount of the flying on the Q and extending crews at the end of the pairing where necessary. Whatever happens they’ll find a work around. I wouldn’t expect a whole lot of change in wawcon.
---------- ADS -----------
  

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2500
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:42 pm
Location: my couch

Re: Upgrade Matrix

Post by flyinhigh » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:28 am

LicensedToThrill wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:50 am
With the shortage of Captains, forecasted future hiring at AC and WestJet, etc will there be some leeway on the upgrade matrix? For example, Jazz upgrades tend to come pretty quick (as low as 6 months). A 1500 hour pilot at Encore would have to hit the hour requirement on the Q400 or wait 2 years.

The matrix in my opinion serves as checks and balances to ensure the person gets upgraded at the right time but is it really feasible considering the movement down the road?
In my opinion the matrix is the only good thing that Encore has going on. It prevents new hire instructors who have flown around the circuit in a 152 for 2000 hours from getting an upgrade when they are in no position to think they deserve one (Yes, this is happening). The matrix ensures that folks get at least one winter season in before they are let loose.

Now before you say "oh but Jazz". Jazz also has a robust program with the colleges where they are using the Jazz SOP's while in college so they are integrated into their system from the beginning (If this has changed in the past couple years, I apologize for not knowing)
---------- ADS -----------
  
Last edited by flyinhigh on Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1643
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 am

Re: Upgrade Matrix

Post by goingnowherefast » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:12 am

Without experience, do you even know how or when to apply the SOP?

Sounds like Jazz needs a matrix too.
---------- ADS -----------
  

nexus
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:07 pm

Re: Upgrade Matrix

Post by nexus » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:25 am

If you guys want change at encore it has to start with not picking up the open time flying. Band together as a pilot group and no one accept open time flying for December when the company needs it most. Maybe then the pilots at encore will be heard. Maybe things like the upgrade matrix and pilot wages will change. As of right now management is ok with the amount of flights being cancelled. The one list/ transfer agreement will not be resolved until onex is finalized and even then what makes everyone assume there will even be a transfer agreement that encore is happy with?
---------- ADS -----------
  

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:35 pm

Re: Upgrade Matrix

Post by plausiblyannonymous » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:08 am

flyinhigh wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:28 am
LicensedToThrill wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:50 am
With the shortage of Captains, forecasted future hiring at AC and WestJet, etc will there be some leeway on the upgrade matrix? For example, Jazz upgrades tend to come pretty quick (as low as 6 months). A 1500 hour pilot at Encore would have to hit the hour requirement on the Q400 or wait 2 years.

The matrix in my opinion serves as checks and balances to ensure the person gets upgraded at the right time but is it really feasible considering the movement down the road?
In my opinion the matrix is the only good thing that Encore has going on. It prevents new hire instructors who have flown around the circuit in a 152 for 2000 hours from getting an upgrade when they are in no position to think they deserve one (Yes, this is happening). The matrix ensures that folks get at least one winter season in before they are let loose.

Now before you say "oh but Jazz". Jazz also has a robust program with the colleges where they are using the Jazz SOP's while in college so they are integrated into their system from the beginning.
As a relatively new hire that came in with little experience, I can definitely attest to this. I don't know how I will have the experience to be captain after two years, let alone six months.
---------- ADS -----------
  

DaddyShark
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:56 pm

Re: Upgrade Matrix

Post by DaddyShark » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:05 pm

Someone who has only instructed will certainly need more operational time in a multi-million dollar, multi turbine, two crew 705 aircraft flying the fare paying passenger before moving to the left seat...
---------- ADS -----------
  

digits_
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2281
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Upgrade Matrix

Post by digits_ » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:14 pm

DaddyShark wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:05 pm
Someone who has only instructed will certainly need more operational time in a multi-million dollar, multi turbine, two crew 705 aircraft flying the fare paying passenger before moving to the left seat...
Would a medevac king air captain? The matrix doesnt seem to differentiate between the two. Unless there is a different internal matrix, I only know about the one published in job ads.
---------- ADS -----------
  

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1643
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:24 am

Re: Upgrade Matrix

Post by goingnowherefast » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:14 am

Medivac king air captain likely has a several thousand hours, putting them in a different column on the matrix than a 2000hr instructor.

There's also the rest of the upgrade process. The matrix is just one of the several checks in place to ensure proficiency.
---------- ADS -----------
  

skyhighh
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:55 pm

Re: Upgrade Matrix

Post by skyhighh » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:49 pm

Medevac King Air Captain could just go straight to mainline. Why would he bother going to Encore.
---------- ADS -----------
  

digits_
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2281
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Upgrade Matrix

Post by digits_ » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:01 pm

goingnowherefast wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:14 am
Medivac king air captain likely has a several thousand hours, putting them in a different column on the matrix than a 2000hr instructor.

There's also the rest of the upgrade process. The matrix is just one of the several checks in place to ensure proficiency.
Not anymore nowadays. The 1500 hour instructor becomes the medevac king air captain and leaves on year later with 2000 hours.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “WestJet Encore”