Hiring outlook

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, Sulako

LicensedToThrill
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:49 pm

Re: Hiring outlook

Post by LicensedToThrill »

Gear Jerker wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:19 am
G'day

Just to add some nuance and facts:

Due to a shortage of Captains in YYZ, some scheduling changes were made. To say that every captain works 18 days a month and gets extended and cold called on their days off, is not accurate as a blanket statement.

Just looking at latest scheduling statistics, Captains averaged 13 days off for November, YYC FO's averaged 13 days off, YYZ FO's averaged 17 days off.

My first year as an FO, my T4 was over 60k.

It is true that guys were deferring upgrades this summer. That added to the shortage, seems to have stabilized again.

I do get cold called once or twice a month on days off. I don't answer the phone. Nobody calls again, I have no obligation to answer. I can always call them ahead of time and tell them not to call me.

I have been extended multiple times. The vast majority of pairings I do not get extended.

Speaking with friends of mine at Jazz, various bases various equipment various positions; its the same sh@@ different pile.

Yes, the one list is a mess right now. It's being worked on.

Generally unless you're an entrepreneur or heir to a fortune or some special case... everybody has a job. There are pros and cons, but this is by far the best job I've had. It was worse when I started in 2016. It's gotten a lot better. Don't believe what everything you read on avcanada, folks.

Cheers
This.

What a day in age where a 1000 hr wonder can go to the right seat of a Q400 without having to slug it out for a few years up North. Sure, airline politics can be messy but my advice to any new guy or gal getting hired on at Encore - be grateful for the opportunity to be entrusted to fly a multi million dollar turboprop for a 705 company. Those who didn't have to slave it out as an instructor crawling for hours, or the ramp in harsh winters etc you are truly lucky and fortunate. 10-20 years ago guys would have given anything for this opportunity. Before that, guys had to go overseas where the work was and leave families behind.

Do the best job that you can. If in a few years time the company is not meeting your career objectives, find what it is you are looking for.
---------- ADS -----------
  

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2579
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:42 pm
Location: my couch

Re: Hiring outlook

Post by flyinhigh »

Now this is an informative post that I agree with. Capts are working 17-18 days a month not the 12 as previously claimed.
I am happy to hear that your not getting extended any more as that was complete BS.
Gear Jerker wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:19 am
G'day

Just to add some nuance and facts:

Due to a shortage of Captains in YYZ, some scheduling changes were made. To say that every captain works 18 days a month and gets extended and cold called on their days off, is not accurate as a blanket statement.

Just looking at latest scheduling statistics, Captains averaged 13 days off for November, YYC FO's averaged 13 days off, YYZ FO's averaged 17 days off.

My first year as an FO, my T4 was over 60k.

It is true that guys were deferring upgrades this summer. That added to the shortage, seems to have stabilized again.

I do get cold called once or twice a month on days off. I don't answer the phone. Nobody calls again, I have no obligation to answer. I can always call them ahead of time and tell them not to call me.

I have been extended multiple times. The vast majority of pairings I do not get extended.

Speaking with friends of mine at Jazz, various bases various equipment various positions; its the same sh@@ different pile.

Yes, the one list is a mess right now. It's being worked on.

Generally unless you're an entrepreneur or heir to a fortune or some special case... everybody has a job. There are pros and cons, but this is by far the best job I've had. It was worse when I started in 2016. It's gotten a lot better. Don't believe what everything you read on avcanada, folks.

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------
  

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:35 pm

Re: Hiring outlook

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Yieldermatik
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:47 pm

Re: Hiring outlook

Post by Yieldermatik »

LicensedToThrill wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:42 am
Gear Jerker wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:19 am
G'day

Just to add some nuance and facts:

Due to a shortage of Captains in YYZ, some scheduling changes were made. To say that every captain works 18 days a month and gets extended and cold called on their days off, is not accurate as a blanket statement.

Just looking at latest scheduling statistics, Captains averaged 13 days off for November, YYC FO's averaged 13 days off, YYZ FO's averaged 17 days off.

My first year as an FO, my T4 was over 60k.

It is true that guys were deferring upgrades this summer. That added to the shortage, seems to have stabilized again.

I do get cold called once or twice a month on days off. I don't answer the phone. Nobody calls again, I have no obligation to answer. I can always call them ahead of time and tell them not to call me.

I have been extended multiple times. The vast majority of pairings I do not get extended.

Speaking with friends of mine at Jazz, various bases various equipment various positions; its the same sh@@ different pile.

Yes, the one list is a mess right now. It's being worked on.

Generally unless you're an entrepreneur or heir to a fortune or some special case... everybody has a job. There are pros and cons, but this is by far the best job I've had. It was worse when I started in 2016. It's gotten a lot better. Don't believe what everything you read on avcanada, folks.

Cheers
This.

What a day in age where a 1000 hr wonder can go to the right seat of a Q400 without having to slug it out for a few years up North. Sure, airline politics can be messy but my advice to any new guy or gal getting hired on at Encore - be grateful for the opportunity to be entrusted to fly a multi million dollar turboprop for a 705 company. Those who didn't have to slave it out as an instructor crawling for hours, or the ramp in harsh winters etc you are truly lucky and fortunate. 10-20 years ago guys would have given anything for this opportunity. Before that, guys had to go overseas where the work was and leave families behind.

Do the best job that you can. If in a few years time the company is not meeting your career objectives, find what it is you are looking for.
First it’s 200 hour wonders, now it’s 1000 hour wonders? Where the @#$! do you get off? When does this stop? Initial training has changed to match the experience level coming through the door and it’s worked great not only at encore but at jazz and porter. What does this say? You DON’T need 5000 hours before flying a stupid Q. U just need decent flying skills and a bit of common sense. The rest you learn actually flying the plane. Jazz has their program taking in 250 hour pilots from seneca and they demonstrate it can be done with a good training program and lots of hard work from the pilot. Higher experienced pilots who had to work longer to get to 705 due to industry situation back then being bitter about the current situation need to chill the F out.
---------- ADS -----------
  

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:23 am

Re: Hiring outlook

Post by ehv8oar »

This business about the FO's only working about 12 days a month at YYZ, is that a pretty usual thing or just a short term thing? That sounds like a nice lifestyle.
---------- ADS -----------
  

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:35 pm

Re: Hiring outlook

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

ehv8oar wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:57 am
This business about the FO's only working about 12 days a month at YYZ, is that a pretty usual thing or just a short term thing? That sounds like a nice lifestyle.
It's a short term thing. Side effect of the shortage of captains.
---------- ADS -----------
  

skyhighh
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:55 pm

Re: Hiring outlook

Post by skyhighh »

plausiblyannonymous wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:01 am
ehv8oar wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:57 am
This business about the FO's only working about 12 days a month at YYZ, is that a pretty usual thing or just a short term thing? That sounds like a nice lifestyle.
It's a short term thing. Side effect of the shortage of captains.
With the AC hiring, fatigue rules and duty rigs coming up soon. I don't think it's going to be short term. Great for FO life style but terrible if you have to live in YYZ on a FO salary.
---------- ADS -----------
  

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:23 am

Re: Hiring outlook

Post by ehv8oar »

Good news if you want to commute into YYZ though I guess :)
---------- ADS -----------
  

igorcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:06 pm

Re: Hiring outlook

Post by igorcanuck »

Any information on Feb or Mar GS?
---------- ADS -----------
  

kiaszceski
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:29 am

Re: Hiring outlook

Post by kiaszceski »

igorcanuck wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:09 pm
Any information on Feb or Mar GS?
Today one GS started.
You can expect one GS every 2 weeks indefinitely.
They wil give you around 5-6 weeks notice either to be pooled or directly offered a GS.
---------- ADS -----------
  

towerwind14
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:32 pm

Re: Hiring outlook

Post by towerwind14 »

I heard that the Toronto base is full and that all new hires are being based in Calgary only, any thoughts until Toronto opens up again?
---------- ADS -----------
  

hsilgnepilot
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:30 pm

Re: Hiring outlook

Post by hsilgnepilot »

towerwind14 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:36 pm
I heard that the Toronto base is full and that all new hires are being based in Calgary only, any thoughts until Toronto opens up again?
Looks like YYC for the next while, especially with that expansion they recently announced. Once flow and upgrades start up again shouldn’t be too hard to transfer back to YYZ from what I’ve heard, they do a monthly bid.
---------- ADS -----------
  

WestJet Puke
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:50 pm

Re: Hiring outlook

Post by WestJet Puke »

They are always needing people to go to the YYZ base. By some quirk, YYC might be the only base on offer now, but I'd strongly suspect by the time you are done training, there will be YYZ openings. Worst case scenario, you may have to commute for a month or two but there are 8-10 flights a day between the two cities.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Julien31130
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:34 pm

Re: Hiring outlook

Post by Julien31130 »

hsilgnepilot wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:03 pm
towerwind14 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:36 pm
I heard that the Toronto base is full and that all new hires are being based in Calgary only, any thoughts until Toronto opens up again?
Looks like YYC for the next while, especially with that expansion they recently announced. Once flow and upgrades start up again shouldn’t be too hard to transfer back to YYZ from what I’ve heard, they do a monthly bid.
What is the expansion plan?
---------- ADS -----------
  

WestJet Puke
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:50 pm

Re: Hiring outlook

Post by WestJet Puke »

The summer schedule seems to add some YYC flying.
---------- ADS -----------
  

hsilgnepilot
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:30 pm

Re: Hiring outlook

Post by hsilgnepilot »

Julien31130 wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:10 am
hsilgnepilot wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:03 pm
towerwind14 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:36 pm
I heard that the Toronto base is full and that all new hires are being based in Calgary only, any thoughts until Toronto opens up again?
Looks like YYC for the next while, especially with that expansion they recently announced. Once flow and upgrades start up again shouldn’t be too hard to transfer back to YYZ from what I’ve heard, they do a monthly bid.
What is the expansion plan?
Pretty much every place getting an additional daily service, along with the addition of YYC YXS to encore from Link.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “WestJet Encore”