Base Assignments

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ZoomZoom147
Rank 1
Rank 1

Base Assignments

Post by ZoomZoom147 »

For the folks who have recently joined WJE, what are the base assignments like (YYC vs YYZ)?

If you were to be assigned YYZ, how long would it take to get YYC?

Thanks in advance,

ZZ
---------- ADS -----------

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Base Assignments

Post by Gear Jerker »

You can bid for it during initial training, and I can pretty much guarantee you'd hold your desired base within 6 months max.

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!
ZoomZoom147
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ZoomZoom147 »

Thanks Gear Jerker. I have a few follow-on questions....

-How long typically does it take to upgrade to CA?
-Do you know how long folks are currently spending with WJE before moving onto the mainline? I've seen anything from 2.5-5 years on this forum.

Cheers!

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

An FO becomes upgrade eligible once they meet the internal upgrade Matrix:
Captain Qualifications:

The following minimum flight time is required for all applicants to be considered for a captain position.
Total Time.......DHC-8-400 Time Required
4000+................500

Candidates with less than the required DHC-8-400 can apply a credit of 50% for time flown in Transport Category (705) aircraft other than the DHC-8-400. The intent is to allow experience in an operation similar to that of WestJet Encore to be used toward DHC-8-400 totals. Half of any experience on aircraft such as a DHC-8-100/300, ATR or RJ may be used. Second Officer/ Flight Engineer time does not qualify for this program.
Right now, if you have the hours, you can pretty much get an upgrade regardless of seniority. That may change depending on Flow/swoop/AC Hiring v. receiving all the Qs from the order.

I couldn't really wager on a flow time for a new hire right now. Too many unknown variables at the moment. Previously the times have been 2.5-3.5 years, but they've done so much hiring this year, there's a lot of people in front of you that would flow first. However, with the 787s coming in 2019 and whatever happens with Swoop, it could be shorter, or much longer. I'd say it's not going to be less than 3 but probably not more than 6 or 7 years.

ZoomZoom147
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ZoomZoom147 »

JBI,

That is very helpful information. Thank-you!

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

Is there any chance of a YVR Encore base in the future? How hard would it be to commute to YYC from Nanaimo with the commuting policy? Thanks!

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

Nobody?

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

CZBBYYZPilot wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:34 pm Nobody?
YVR base, that rumour has been around since 2014. I think you'd flow before seeing it.

something_generic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by something_generic »

Is Calgary their only training base? I was hoping to find out if they have one at YYZ or if it's in the works. :?:

Thanks!

bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

something_generic wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:19 pm Is Calgary their only training base? I was hoping to find out if they have one at YYZ or if it's in the works. :?:

Thanks!
Yes. All initial training and recurrent gs is done in yyc. I don’t think there’s plans to change that.

Mooseontheloose
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mooseontheloose »

ZoomZoom147 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:46 am -Do you know how long folks are currently spending with WJE before moving onto the mainline? I've seen anything from 2.5-5 years on this forum.
LISTN UP ALL YOU LOW TIME PUSSEYS WHY HASNT AC CALL ME CRY BABIESS!!! ITS TIME FOR SOME ENCORE MATHS WITH THA MOOSE!!

500+ PILOTS LICKIN' THE BAG AT ENCORE. BEST CASE ONTARIO IS WESTJET FLOWS 10 DIRTY DASH DRIVERS A MONTH = STILL TAKE OVER 4 YEARS TO FLOW!!! THAT STINKS!!! AINT EVER GONNA HAPPEN QUIT YOUR BITCHIN!!! AC HIRING OVER 400 IN NEXT 12 MONTHS!! YOU THINK ENCORE CAN HANDLE MAX FLOW WHILE LOSING 100-200 FULL TIME GROOMERS TO BIG POPPA RED!!?!?! LOL!!!! ANYONE STARTING AT ENCORE IS LOOKING AT 6-7 YEARS MINIMUM!!! EVEN A PSTAR CHAMP KNOWS ENCORE PILOTS GETTING THE SHAFT!! HOW ABOUT THAT PAYCUT!!! THANKS FOR BEING SO WESTJETTY!!!

YEAHHHHH THE MOOSE KNOWS NOT EVERYONE AT ENCORE IS A MUPPET!! SMART FOLKS KICKIN ASS GRABBING THAT QUICK UPGRADE, PULLING SHIFTS BABYSITTING IN TRAINING JUST TO PUNCH THE FIRST TICKET TO BIG RED!! YAHHHHH MENN!! SOME HEROES ARE IN AND OUT IN LESS THAN TWO YEARS!!! NO EFFING WAY THEY GONNA PICK UP WET KLEENEX AND CANDY WRAPPERS FOR THE NEXT 30!! EVERYONE ELSE SITTIN THERE BITCHIN THINKING SHIT IS GONNA GET BETTER! IT AIN'T!!!! YOUR CRASHPAD BROSKI WILL BE LEFT SEAT MAKING BIG BUCKS PICKING UP BABES IN HONOLULU BEFORE YOU EVEN HAVE THE CHANCE TO TAKE THAT PAYCUT TO FLY THE GREYHOUND CHUMPRUN!!! HOW BOUT THEM SWOOP UNIFORMS!!! NOTHING SAYS BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ LIKE AN AUTO MECHANIC!! BETCHYA THE BABES REALLY DIG IT AT THE YHM DIVE BAR!!! PATHETIC!!!!!

YOUNG BUCKS NEED SOME TIPS ON HOW NOT TO BE A WUSS!!! THERE'S HOPE OUT THERE MENNNNN!!!!!!! GO GETTITT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hozer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hozer »

:lol:

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Mooseontheloose wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:29 am
ZoomZoom147 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:46 am -Do you know how long folks are currently spending with WJE before moving onto the mainline? I've seen anything from 2.5-5 years on this forum.
LISTN UP ALL YOU LOW TIME PUSSEYS WHY HASNT AC CALL ME CRY BABIESS!!! ITS TIME FOR SOME ENCORE MATHS WITH THA MOOSE!!

500+ PILOTS LICKIN' THE BAG AT ENCORE. BEST CASE ONTARIO IS WESTJET FLOWS 10 DIRTY DASH DRIVERS A MONTH = STILL TAKE OVER 4 YEARS TO FLOW!!! THAT STINKS!!! AINT EVER GONNA HAPPEN QUIT YOUR BITCHIN!!! AC HIRING OVER 400 IN NEXT 12 MONTHS!! YOU THINK ENCORE CAN HANDLE MAX FLOW WHILE LOSING 100-200 FULL TIME GROOMERS TO BIG POPPA RED!!?!?! LOL!!!! ANYONE STARTING AT ENCORE IS LOOKING AT 6-7 YEARS MINIMUM!!! EVEN A PSTAR CHAMP KNOWS ENCORE PILOTS GETTING THE SHAFT!! HOW ABOUT THAT PAYCUT!!! THANKS FOR BEING SO WESTJETTY!!!

YEAHHHHH THE MOOSE KNOWS NOT EVERYONE AT ENCORE IS A MUPPET!! SMART FOLKS KICKIN ASS GRABBING THAT QUICK UPGRADE, PULLING SHIFTS BABYSITTING IN TRAINING JUST TO PUNCH THE FIRST TICKET TO BIG RED!! YAHHHHH MENN!! SOME HEROES ARE IN AND OUT IN LESS THAN TWO YEARS!!! NO EFFING WAY THEY GONNA PICK UP WET KLEENEX AND CANDY WRAPPERS FOR THE NEXT 30!! EVERYONE ELSE SITTIN THERE BITCHIN THINKING SHIT IS GONNA GET BETTER! IT AIN'T!!!! YOUR CRASHPAD BROSKI WILL BE LEFT SEAT MAKING BIG BUCKS PICKING UP BABES IN HONOLULU BEFORE YOU EVEN HAVE THE CHANCE TO TAKE THAT PAYCUT TO FLY THE GREYHOUND CHUMPRUN!!! HOW BOUT THEM SWOOP UNIFORMS!!! NOTHING SAYS BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ LIKE AN AUTO MECHANIC!! BETCHYA THE BABES REALLY DIG IT AT THE YHM DIVE BAR!!! PATHETIC!!!!!

YOUNG BUCKS NEED SOME TIPS ON HOW NOT TO BE A WUSS!!! THERE'S HOPE OUT THERE MENNNNN!!!!!!! GO GETTITT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nevermind the grey auto mechanic shirts, that's the least of the issues. Wait till you zip your nuts in the zipper of your tight pants, then you're really gonna love the uniform at Swoop.

Rezy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rezy »

tbaylx wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:07 am

Nevermind the grey auto mechanic shirts, that's the least of the issues. Wait till you zip your nuts in the zipper of your tight pants, then you're really gonna love the uniform at Swoop.
Sounds like a good idea to book off after that. I can only imagine that phone call to crew sched “I zipped my nuts, yea it’s bleeding pretty bad, should I SMS that?” :lol: :lol:

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

Pretty funny I must admit. But your math sucks. Good thing you're entertaining, 'CAUSE YOU AIN'T SMART.

Return to “WestJet Encore”