Find the Missing Word

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Find the Missing Word

Post by NewCommercialPilot »

One word is missing from this press release. If you spot it, please don't divulge it just yet. Just ask yourself why it is missing.

http://www.alpa.org/news-and-events/new ... esentation

Release #: 17.61
November 29, 2017

Encore Pilots Secure ALPA Representation
Ottawa, Ont.—Earlier today, the Canada Industrial Relations Board certified the Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA) as the bargaining representative for the nearly 500 pilots at Encore.

“We are pleased that an overwhelming majority of pilots at Encore chose the Air Line Pilots Association, Int’l for their representation. We are committed to helping our newest pilot group achieve their goals through our strong bargaining and advocacy efforts,” said ALPA president Capt. Tim Canoll. “With ALPA representation, Encore pilots immediately have the necessary resources to negotiate their first legally binding collective agreement under the Canada Labour Code,” he added.

The pilots at Encore began working with ALPA several months ago and collected membership cards in one of the fastest organizing campaigns in the Association’s history.

Encore Organizing Committee member Capt. Ryan Petrie said, “Encore pilots have played a vital role in the success of our company, and we look forward to working with our management to negotiate our first agreement.”

The next steps for the Encore pilots will be to focus on the membership drive and elect representatives for their local structure, known as the Master Executive Council.

“Encore is the third Canadian pilot group to seek ALPA representation and join the Association this year. We look forward to putting ALPA’s abundant resources to use and helping the Encore pilots gain a stronger voice in the decisions that impact their careers and collective future,” said Capt. Dan Adamus, ALPA Canada president.

Founded in 1931, ALPA is the largest airline pilot union in the world and represents over 58,000 pilots at 33 U.S. and Canadian airlines. Visit the ALPA website at www.alpa.org or follow us on Twitter @WeAreALPA.

-###-

---------- ADS -----------

NewCommercialPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Find the Missing Word

Post by NewCommercialPilot »

If you were unsuccessful, please read the following document for a clue:

https://decisia.lexum.com/cirb-ccri/cir ... ocument.do

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Even I spotted it...

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Ok, but WHY is it missing?

Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loner »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:52 am Ok, but WHY is it missing?
Maybe ALPA doesn’t want to piss off potential recruits...

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Somebody want to spill the beans for those of us who can't read good and want to learn to do other things good too?

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

lownslow wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:05 pm Somebody want to spill the beans for those of us who can't read good and want to learn to do other things good too?
I'm not sure if i'm right but I don't see Westjet anywhere in that statement.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

lownslow wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:05 pm Somebody want to spill the beans for those of us who can't read good and want to learn to do other things good too?
They are talking about "Encore pilots" instead of "Encore Westjet pilots".

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Good luck keeping/attracting pilots if the Westjet carrot isn't there any more...people didn't go to Encore because of the great pay and working conditions - they went because of the shiny 737 at the end of the tunnel..

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Well ya. “Westjet Encore” pilots are as much a WestJet pilot as a Delta pilot. That’s not meant to be a slight it’s just true.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

I don't really know anything about the business nuts and bolts of WestJet and Encore but are they set up and run as two different companies? I mean, isn't Georgian going with ALPA? Should I be shocked and appalled when the release doesn't call the company Air Canada Georgian?

Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loner »

lownslow wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:30 am I don't really know anything about the business nuts and bolts of WestJet and Encore but are they set up and run as two different companies? I mean, isn't Georgian going with ALPA? Should I be shocked and appalled when the release doesn't call the company Air Canada Georgian?
It’s all about the entity’s registered legal name...

Dizzy D
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dizzy D »

Does the fact that WestJet and WestJet Encore share the same address and are part of the same publicly traded company mean anything?

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

lownslow wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:30 am I don't really know anything about the business nuts and bolts of WestJet and Encore but are they set up and run as two different companies? I mean, isn't Georgian going with ALPA? Should I be shocked and appalled when the release doesn't call the company Air Canada Georgian?
They're not Air Canada Georgian though, Westjet Encore is the name of the airline, and are a wholly owned subsidiary of WestJet.

I've never heard Encore used by in any publication without Westjet being used before it. Not on any site, press release, etc.

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Transonic »

FL007 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:22 am
They're not Air Canada Georgian though, Westjet Encore is the name of the airline, and are a wholly owned subsidiary of WestJet.

I've never heard Encore used by in any publication without Westjet being used before it. Not on any site, press release, etc.
How about Encore's callsign?

Seriously, the ICAO code for Encore is WEN and IATA is WR. The IATA code is the formal way to refer to an airline in the industry. Another example would be AS and QX, Alaska Airlines and Horizon Airlines, both holdings of Alaska Air Group. The above article is just a translation of a standard practice in the aviation industry.

Substitute WR for Encore in the above article and it will not be alarming.

" WR Pilots Secure ALPA Representation
Ottawa, Ont.—Earlier today, the Canada Industrial Relations Board certified the Air Line Pilots Association, International (ALPA) as the bargaining representative for the nearly 500 pilots at WR......"

NCP does provide some good insight however please remember he wishes to see ALPA fail and decertify WS and WR. (see what I did there :wink: )

FL007
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL007 »

Transonic wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:09 pm
FL007 wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:22 am

How about Encore's callsign?
Callsigns literally mean nothing.. Maple, Needle, Speedbird. etc.

Written, I didn't find one publication that didn't include Westjet somewhere in a press release when including Encore, except this one.

Could be for many reasons, one being stock prices or shareholder's perception. They can't avoid it with mainline, but perhaps they hope this one slips through the cracks.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

This "omission" is not something to read in to. While there will be significant discussions in the next few months/year on the relationship between the two pilot groups, the union and the company, this press release just has to do with what the ALPA folks and pilot group call the airline: Encore. While there's definitely an argument that yes, the press release should have referred to the company as WestJet Encore Ltd., there's not any hidden message or code.

Don't be discouraged though - there are new X-Files episodes starting in January! The truth is out there...

Splash
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Splash »

It would not surprise me if WestJet in the future considered monetizing Encore under a CPA contract.

Return to “WestJet Encore”