Things to Consider if Considering Encore

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Things to Consider if Considering Encore

Post by JBI »

Sorry NCP,

There's a couple points that you make incorrect assumptions on.

-Force majuere has no legal relevance in this situation whatsoever.

-As someone who had previously done work with the WJPA (and a number of the current ALPA reps at both mainline and Encore had been part of the WJPA), the collaborative relationship that you refer to was non-existent. I'll be the first to admit I have not been part of WJ/WEN for a long time, so I can't comment on how things were back in the 'old' days but from what I saw, there was great interaction with Flight Ops management (who I continue to suggest are excellent), and horrible interaction with upper management. Think about this for a moment: there are a number of WJPA reps who were in favour of ALPA and have now stepped up to continue to support the pilots through ALPA. These are the exact people who witnessed the so called "collaborative relationship" first hand and had direct interaction with upper management - if former WJPA reps who had direct exposure to this 'relationship' wanted a different type of relationship, you should be questioning how good that relationship actually was.

-The single employer designation is something I've spoken ad nauseum about on this forum and others. While I don't disagree that there were some benefits for the Encore group not certifying right away, it really is a non-issue.

-I don't expect your "aggrieved party" to want to have my best interests at heart, I expect them to abide by the terms of the contract. Period. In addition, I expect them to act in a way that will set the whole company up for long term success. In my opinion, the way they have implemented Swoop does not do so.

This thread is not about Swoop (you've started 7 or 8 others for that purpose), this thread is a discussion for considerations for potential pilots looking to come to Encore. While Swoop may be a factor, the more salient points have to do with lifestyle/working conditions and career advancement. From the outside things may look absolutely amazing, and in some respects they are pretty great, but there are a number of factors that should be giving potential pilots pause before coming to Encore without interviewing anywhere else. In the past, people would come to WestJet/Encore because hey, even though the pay was a little less and you worked a little more, the company was amazing, treated their employees well and everyone loved working there and you'd flow super quick. It's still a good company, but I'd argue that the morale has eroded to the point where, while yes, it's still enjoyable, there's no way that the myth of good morale should cause someone to choose to get paid less and work harder than counterparts at some AC Express regionals.
---------- ADS -----------

JTrain
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Things to Consider if Considering Encore

Post by JTrain »

JBI -

Excellent response to NCP.

I doubt we'll see NCP again in this thread, as he specializes in "hit and run threads" - posting something incendiary, which is usually a gross distortion of facts from a pro WJ management perspective, then not sticking around to deal with the responses. Typically he'll start another thread to continue to pontificate upon his point of view, which have very little grounding in reality, repeat ad nauseum for months at a time. He is a pox on our entire pilot group.

It might be worthwhile to copy and paste your response to every thread he starts, just to save some time and energy at your end.

jt
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “WestJet Encore”