How's morale with uncertainty of the one list?

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: How's morale with uncertainty of the one list?

Post by WeedPro2000 »

Mr. North, I sympathise with your position and the others at WJE. Throughout the certification campaign, and indeed before, I tried to convince others of the danger to the WPDL in the event of certification by ALPA. I had read the ALPA Constitution and the policies of the ALPA Executive Board. I read Canadian and US case law. Although I am not a lawyer, I can read. The principles behind why the WPDL is an extinct document under ALPA is simple enough. All it takes to understand the situation is to have the willingness to explore. The MECs of WJA and WJE put blinders on when they conceived whatever the LOU consists of. It is certainly NOT possible to deprive the seniority rights of a member of a bargaining unit simply to replicate a previous management policy. ALPA rules are clear.

Had we all taken the time to realize what the complications were in agreeing to the WPDL, it is likely it never would have seen the light of day. Instituting a policy that was vulnerable to attack at any time was unwise. But then most of us were unaware how close certification was, and therefore most didn't bother looking into the corners for where the monsters lie.
---------- ADS -----------

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

Here is the current and in-force version of the seniority policies from the ALPA Administrative Manual, Section 40. Compare these two pages (also attached as PDF to this post) to the seniority section from the 1967 ALPA Policy Manual posted by WeedPro above. They are identical. The policy has been in place for 62 years, since 1956! There is nothing more fundamental in ALPA than seniority/seniority list construction. It was put in place to combat exactly what the WPDL represents to a union, favouritism to pilots from a select group, in this case pilots from WJE.

It is so simple and was in full view for all to see. No one wanted to listen. It was a problem for another day. That day is almost here.

ALPA_Administrative_Manual_Section_40-23-24-page-001.jpg
ALPA_Administrative_Manual_Section_40-23-24-page-001.jpg (302.48 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
ALPA_Administrative_Manual_Section_40-23-24-page-002.jpg
ALPA_Administrative_Manual_Section_40-23-24-page-002.jpg (440.15 KiB) Viewed 2059 times

Attachments
ALPA_Administrative_Manual_Section_40-23-24.pdf
(831.81 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

Ex DC10 Driver wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:55 am As I stated...the carrot should not be the one list but improved wages and working conditions at Encore.
So, you are saying that if WestJet wants to recognise service at Encore, it should give at its own expense (higher wages, vacation, bonus, etc.), and not at the expense of the pilots (seniority)? Carry forward YOS for pay and vacation, but seniority as date of flow into WestJet/Swoop?

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

Certainly the founding members of the ALPA OC at WJ wanted WJ/WJE pilots to believe the WPDL could be replicated in an ALPA CBA:
ALPA_OC_Communication_One_List_Flow_1.jpg
ALPA_OC_Communication_One_List_Flow_1.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 2041 times

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

But as we know, the policy of the Executive Board passed in 1956 is that seniority must be based on DOH (non-merger) and seniority alone controls promotion (upgrade). From the latest ALPA Constitution and Bylaws (September 18, 2018), we see that the President of ALPA has a duty to uphold this policy:
ALPA_President_Oath_1_LI.jpg
ALPA_President_Oath_1_LI.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 2034 times
As well, the MEC Chair also has a duty to uphold Executive Board policy:
MEC_Chairman_Duties-page-001_LI.jpg
MEC_Chairman_Duties-page-001_LI.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 2034 times

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

And how would ALPA handle the MEC's (Captain RM) attempt to disregard Executive Board policy?
ALPA_Constitution_and_Bylaws_Discipline-page-001_LI.jpg
ALPA_Constitution_and_Bylaws_Discipline-page-001_LI.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 2031 times

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

So you see, it's all there in black and white. There is no wiggle room. ALPA, for various reasons, cannot institute a replica of the WPDL. The policy that forbids it was issued by the Executive Board in 1956, and it is still present in the most recent Administrative Manual (Chapter 40) as of October 31, 2017. Anyone who thinks that there is any possible way to circumvent this reality is unfortunately living in a delusional state.

I suggest that some very hard questions be asked of the Canada Board President - Elect, the current WJ MEC Chairman, as well as well as the YVR LEC Secretary Treasurer, the three of whom were the original OC members and responsible for dissemination of inaccurate information that has adversely affected the lives of hundreds of current and former WJE pilots. I would caution any OTS pilots hired after 2014 from exhibiting any public pleasure at their winfall. Perhaps retreat to a quiet room with a sharpie and a paper copy of the WPDL. Congratulations on your good fortune. Be kind.

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

Another name to add to the spam list...Right John.

Ex DC10 Driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ex DC10 Driver »

cloak wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:26 am
Ex DC10 Driver wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:55 am As I stated...the carrot should not be the one list but improved wages and working conditions at Encore.
So, you are saying that if WestJet wants to recognise service at Encore, it should give at its own expense (higher wages, vacation, bonus, etc.), and not at the expense of the pilots (seniority)? Carry forward YOS for pay and vacation, but seniority as date of flow into WestJet/Swoop?
No I am not saying that. The one list initially only benefited the company. The applications at Encore were drying up and so to intice applicants the “flow to WestJet with your seniority” was arranged. Wages should have been increased and with better working conditions so pilots would have wanted to go to Encore and not only use them as a stepping stone to WestJet. The one list if used with only 100% flow and no off the street hires would have made sense. However, with off the street hires at WestJet being employed at WestJet before a pilot flows across is where the problem arises. Encore pilots resign from Encore and then are hired at WestJet and even take part in the ‘New hire pizza party’. Make no mistake Encore pilots are not at WestJet...that is why they could not even vote on the Wide body MOA’s, they must resign from Encore and then are given a WestJet date of hire. With off the street hires having an earlier start date at WestJet. ALPA was wanted by a majority at both companies, WestJet and Encore, they are different companies. However, ALPA has its own rules about seniority and maybe all those who voted for and wanted ALPA should of done their research before voting them in.(I did read your response Mr. North)
If we are to be governed by ALPA rules then we should be governed by all ALPA rules. I believe seniority will become of even greater importance in the future at WestJet so yes I am looking into this. I have some limited knowledge of ALPA as I was an ALPA member for thirteen years and was an MEC member as a Capt. Rep for my previous employer. I do know seniority is everything at an ALPA company.
When I was hired at WestJet I was just happy to have been offered a full-time position (at a Company that I had wanted to come to for along time. Being offered an interview I likened to winning a lottery and was thrilled) after being told the positions at the company where I was at would be lost. I had a wife and three children to support and the one list was not something I was made aware of or went looking into. I prepared and studied for my interview, not the relationship between Encore and WestJet.
Additionally Mr. North I do not expect to see an upgrade for 8 more years not 4. There are over 500 pilots ahead of my class who are still F/O’s. 90ish by choice who by-passed their upgrade and who now if we do in fact get awarded years of service would be more inclined to upgrade. With retirements and expansion at 50 upgrades a year that is still 10 years from now so being optimistic I chose 8. If you think 180 Encore pilots who will have eventually flowed in front of my class is only a couple of missed upgrade courses you are mistaken. Additionally their years as a Captain, earning years of a Captain pay before we upgrade will surpass any benefit in pay we might of initially had. Now applicants to Encore have even lower total accumulated time than in the past and direct entry pilots with much higher time and experience will be placed on the one list below them while they are still working to acquire the necessary time and experience for the ATPL in some cases. I don’t believe they should have higher seniority than a direct entry jet pilot.
I guess we will all see come January what happens and how this plays out.

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

flyer 1492 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:54 pm Another name to add to the spam list...Right John.
If I didn't have a proper response to the merits of an argument, I would attack the poster. What would you do?

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

DC-10 Driver,

When you started at WJ, you surely knew all of the terms and conditions with respect to where you sat on the list. It's sad that now you are willing to through our Encore brothers under the bus to further your personal interests.

When we insisted on wage parity with the Swoop start up, the company went to Encore and asked the pilots if they wanted to fly the planes. They had the opportunity to be top of the scab list. Not one of them put themselves ahead of any of us, even though it would have been personally beneficial for them to do so. In return, the Encore pilots have earned my unconditional support and loyalty.

WRT your argument that the one-list was a carrot to attract applicants and reduce wages, I agree.

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

Bede wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:05 pm DC-10 Driver,

When you started at WJ, you surely knew all of the terms and conditions with respect to where you sat on the list. It's sad that now you are willing to through our Encore brothers under the bus to further your personal interests.

When we insisted on wage parity with the Swoop start up, the company went to Encore and asked the pilots if they wanted to fly the planes. They had the opportunity to be top of the scab list. Not one of them put themselves ahead of any of us, even though it would have been personally beneficial for them to do so. In return, the Encore pilots have earned my unconditional support and loyalty.

WRT your argument that the one-list was a carrot to attract applicants and reduce wages, I agree.
Bede, what exactly are you doing with that "unconditional support and loyalty?" Where were you when the certification drive was on? Why did you not help educate the Encore pilots on what would happen to the WPDL if ALPA was successful? If all you're doing with that support and loyalty is posting here, well, that's virtue signalling and that and a couple of bucks gets you a coffee, nothing more.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

What am I doing to support Encore pilots?
1) Telling them to sign on with ALPA. No matter what you post on this forum, you continue to be proven wrong.
2) Siding with Encore pilots against those wishing to undermine the collective unity of the group with their own personal agenda's.

I don't know why I respond to you any more. You can't be reasoned with.

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

Reasoned with? Bede, you haven't countered any of the points raised above! Failure to counter the issues I raised will simply result in an adverse inference: you recognize that I'm right.

FYI, me pointing out why something can't happen isn't the same as me being responsible for the something not happening.

WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

Bede, I don't know how you sleep at night knowing you encouraged former WJE pilots already at WJ to vote in a system (ALPA) that resulted in those pilots (and their colleagues still at WJE) losing tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, and in some cases, millions of dollars in lost future earnings. I wish I had your ability to shutdown my conscience. You should give a course on that.

Me? I still wonder at what else I could have done to prevent all of this from happening. I donated $1000 to a local PC party candidate, hoping she could influence the Senate vote to prevent the change in the law governing union certification. In the end it didn't matter. I also spent $400 setting up a website, www.encoresenioritycoalition.org, at which I posted the reasons why ALPA meant the death of the WPDL. I further spent $350 with the ALPA archivist in Chicago, who searched through and sent me any records on seniority within ALPA's historical records. I spent hundreds of hours researching the topic of seniority and unions, including reading through countless court decisions, both in Canada and the USA. I spent untold time composing posts here and elsewhere trying to reach the people who were going to condemn a pilot group to loss income, and a decade of unhappiness at the pilots responsible: themselves.

I don't blame the non-WJE pilots, current and former. People vote for their self interests. You, Bede, you did like the rest of your colleagues, you did what was best for you and said f#ck the Encore pilots. Let them solve their own problems, we need ALPA! But the former and current Encore pilots should have explored the issue. They believed people like you Bede, who told them it would be okay. They believed the ALPA OC. They believed the President of ALPA. They believed all these people who deceived them because they wanted to believe. They have just been taught a valuable lesson on the nature of people.

So tell me, Bede, what else could I have done to prevent this atrocity from happening?

Last edited by The Tenth Man on Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
WeedPro2000
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WeedPro2000 »

As opposed to just attacking me personally, how about using your education to answer the points I have raised?

Like Bill Murray said in Stripes, "Lighten up, Francis!"
Visit_Website_Link_Trail.jpg
Visit_Website_Link_Trail.jpg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 1685 times

The_Doctor_Is_In.jpg
The_Doctor_Is_In.jpg (1.7 MiB) Viewed 1691 times

The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

I did a little more digging. At this point, I think the MEC's of both WJ and WJE have violated the terms of the ALPA Constitution and Bylaws. The WJ MEC admitted to the breach on Nov 2, 2018.
From Your MEC
Fellow pilots,

"One List" Update

In Washington, D.C., we held a joint MEC meeting with the Encore MEC. There were many items to discuss about how to work together, but one of the most important interim steps was to formalize an agreement and language between the two pilot groups on how to recognize the contribution that all pilots bring to WestJet. This agreement recognizes the seniority of WestJet and Encore pilots within the WestJet group. This document has been legally reviewed and meets the requirements set forth under the ALPA Constitution and Canadian labour law.

This initiative follows the original intent of the "One List," a policy that was overwhelmingly supported by pilots (based on survey results) at WestJet. Additionally, we believe WestJet group should view this agreement as good for them, as a major retention and attraction initiative at Encore.

The two MECs will propose this formal agreement in the form of a Letter of Understanding (LOU) between both pilot groups to WestJet management. They in turn will also have to accept the LOU and be a signatory. The final step will be to hold a pilot vote at each group before it will be implemented.

While only a first step of many toward fully uniting with the Encore pilots, this will serve as an excellent example of how unity between pilot groups can benefit the pilot profession and airlines in Canada.

For far too long, we have allowed corporations to divide pilots, and this has been to the detriment of our profession. We firmly believe that when we have all the professional pilots working together across Canada, we will be in a much stronger position to advocate for pilots and start moving forward together. It will only be our unity that will give us the strength to make the changes to our industry and our profession that pilots have desired for so long.

We expect to present this LOU to WestJet Airlines shortly.
The Canada Board President - Elect admitted to the breach of the constitutionally mandated seniority policy of ALPA as well.

http://timperry2018.com/about/
Our first MEC resolution was to recognize Encore pilots as WestJet pilots – essentially to remove any professional barriers between our pilot groups that exist because of corporate branding or aircraft type. Since then I’ve been working with their MEC officers to cement the one seniority list concept and the unification of our pilot groups starting with eventually creating a single MEC structure. This unity work very much captures my union philosophy. Stronger together.
If the contents of the proposed LOU do in fact intend to replace seniority for determining upgrades, then both MECs are guilty of trying to subvert Executive Board policy and the Constitution and Bylaws. And in Breach of Contract. And now open to discipline by ALPA.

And the incoming Canada Board President is also in breach of the Constitution and Bylaws, by virtue of his working to subvert Executive Board policy while on the MEC at WJ.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

I'll bite, WeedPro. I work for a company with ALPA representation, so I'm pretty familiar with their bylaws.
The crux of your argument seems to be based on this clause: Section 40.3 "Seniority shall begin to accrue from the date upon which a pilot employed by the Company as a pilot begins initial training required to perform such duties in airline operations..."
The issue then becomes what the definition of the Company is. Are WestJet and Encore separate companies, or, as a wholly-owned subsidiary, is Encore a part of the WestJet company? The money used to pay Encore pilots comes directly from WestJet, so even though they have separate AOCs, are they really separate companies? That's a legally-contentious issue that likely wouldn't be resolved until someone with standing filed a lawsuit, and the suit ran through the court system.
The problem with your argument is that precedent has now been established by Mr Kaplan that Swoop, as a wholly-owned subsidiary of WestJet, is part of the same company. Swoop pilots are now represented by the WestJet MEC, and are on the same seniority list. WestJet pilots have been able to bid into Swoop positions, and Swoop pilots will be able to bid back to WestJet. To complicate matter further, Encore pilots have been able to bid into Swoop positions, and will be able to bid back to WestJet. So if Swoop, as a wholly-owned subsidiary, is part of the same company, legally Encore would meet the same definition, and the WPDL will be unaffected. If, as you seem to think, they are separate companies and moving from one to another means being put at the bottom of the list, then at the end of the lawsuit the judge will have to decide what's going to happen to all the pilots who moved to Swoop; will they return to their previous positions, potentially being disadvantaged because they would have upgraded if they had stayed at WestJet, and now they're back to being FOs, or will they return to their places on the seniority list? Will the Encore pilots be returned to Encore, or will they be moved to WestJet, because they would have flowed during the time that the lawsuit was in progress? This will create a hugely contentious and complex matter that I don't think would go the way the plaintiffs would like, because the arbitrator of the current agreement has already decided that Swoop and WestJet are common employers. In fact, if anything, I could see a case being made that Encore pilots should fall under the WestJet MEC; that is to say, if someone were to file such a suit, it may backfire, and the judge may order that since Swoop and WestJet have a common bargaining unit, then so should Encore.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Am I the only one who just skips right over the Weedpro posts and reads the others ?

The Tenth Man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by The Tenth Man »

Maybe.

Return to “WestJet Encore”