Hiring outlook

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Hiring outlook

Post by MrTurbine »

Yieldermatik wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:09 pm
yvrpilot82 wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:38 pm As an Encore pilot I'd say Jazz is the way to go. It seems like it's a lot easier now to get over to AC from there, unless you mess up the interview.
Yes, Encore has guaranteed flow and (at the moment anyway) the "one list" for seniority. But please think about how long you'll be spending at Encore. It's not the 3 years to flow as it used to be in days gone by. With close to 600 pilots, and flow being 50-75 on a good year...well, do the math. Would you spend that long at Jazz? Who, it must be said have far better working conditions. I'm not expecting many improvements on our long-awaited contract. My prediction is just basic industry standard duty rigs and holding onto the one-list.
So a new encore pilot would take roughly 10 years to flow? That sounds unreasonable.
Wrong. 5 years to flow to mainline, about a year to go to swoop.
---------- ADS -----------

yvrpilot82
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yvrpilot82 »

How do you figure 5 years to flow to mainline? 600 pilots at Encore. That would involve Encore flowing 120 a year. At the current 50% flow that means WJ would have to hire 240 pilots a year for the next 5 years.
I'm not trying to sound pessimistic, but I don't think that type of growth is on the horizon.

SPR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SPR »

yvrpilot82 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:49 am How do you figure 5 years to flow to mainline? 600 pilots at Encore. That would involve Encore flowing 120 a year. At the current 50% flow that means WJ would have to hire 240 pilots a year for the next 5 years.
I'm not trying to sound pessimistic, but I don't think that type of growth is on the horizon.
That's assuming that flow stays at 50%. Some classes lately have been 60-70% Encore, and, although it's unlikely, there's a slight possibility that the new contract could include a clause pushing the number higher. Also, you're ignoring all the Encore pilots who move to Transat, Sunwing, AC, corporate, go overseas, or even leave the industry entirely; there are a few guys nearing the end of their careers who might defer flow and just retire if it looks like that's a better option financially. There are some WestJet pilots leaving as well, so it's not just growth that will determine flow. I'd say 5-6 years right now would be realistic, but 10 would be way out there. The current payscale doesn't go past five years, and if the company is expecting people to stay longer than that they're going to have to sweeten the pot.

RatMan
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RatMan »

The WJE training taps...have they been turned back on yet? Anybody get a call or have insight??

MrTurbine
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrTurbine »

yvrpilot82 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:49 am How do you figure 5 years to flow to mainline? 600 pilots at Encore. That would involve Encore flowing 120 a year. At the current 50% flow that means WJ would have to hire 240 pilots a year for the next 5 years.
A MAJORITY of our pilots don’t flow to Westjet mainline. AC, Transat, overseas and other companies/corporate, and a handful just defer. 5 years is realistic. If it were much higher, nobody would stay.

Freeport_Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Freeport_Flyer »

Has anyone heard anything about hiring / ground schools? Anyone?

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

Hiring is starting again in April. I asked management for a friend who is waiting.

Current flow as of last week is 3 years and 1 month.

I have been keeping tabs on attrition at Encore by crossing names of the list at Encore as the lists are updated and comparing it with flow. As it stands the list moves 15 names a month between flow to Encore, Swoop, other airlines and differing bids. Granted any and all of those deferred folks could Flow at any point slowing the list down.

Using the ACTUAL numbers and not taking into account growth, the current flow time for a new hire will be approximately 2 years and 11 months by time their number is called for mainline. Its a one year wait for Swoop (internal rule) if you should want to work there. In reality the Encore list will be exhausted for Swoop flow by the next bid which means you can go as soon as the company lets you.

Economies change however, but in the last year those are the numbers.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

It wasn’t that long ago that you had to spend 5 to 10 years in the bush doing hard time before you had the time and relevant experience to get into Westjet. Now you can slide into Encore with a thousand hours of day VFR Caravan time.

It wasn’t that long ago that you needed 3,000 hours to sit left seat in a Navajo, 5,000 hours to sit left seat in a King Air, 8,000 hours to sit left seat in a Dash 8, and 10,000 hours to sit right seat in a 737.

And still people are whining about 5 or 6 years at Encore before flowing to Mainline? It’s never been easier!

Consider yourselves lucky to be a Q400 FO with 1,000 hours, a Q400 CA with 2,500 hours, and then a 737 FO with 5,000 hours, all the while living in civilization.

God forbid you have to sit in a Q400 for 5 or 6 years, pretty much straight out of flight school, before you get “your” jet.

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

180 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:09 am It wasn’t that long ago that you had to spend 5 to 10 years in the bush doing hard time before you had the time and relevant experience to get into Westjet. Now you can slide into Encore with a thousand hours of day VFR Caravan time.

It wasn’t that long ago that you needed 3,000 hours to sit left seat in a Navajo, 5,000 hours to sit left seat in a King Air, 8,000 hours to sit left seat in a Dash 8, and 10,000 hours to sit right seat in a 737.

And still people are whining about 5 or 6 years at Encore before flowing to Mainline? It’s never been easier!

Consider yourselves lucky to be a Q400 FO with 1,000 hours, a Q400 CA with 2,500 hours, and then a 737 FO with 5,000 hours, all the while living in civilization.

God forbid you have to sit in a Q400 for 5 or 6 years, pretty much straight out of flight school, before you get “your” jet.
It's still hard to get into encore. 6000+ hr seasoned king air captain waiting for call.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

Hiring has slowed down since the fleet stabilized, but they’re still hiring. And it’s not uncommon to see an Encore FO with an Aerocourse ATPL textbook poking out of their flight bag.

Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

180 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:29 am Hiring has slowed down since the fleet stabilized, but they’re still hiring. And it’s not uncommon to see an Encore FO with an Aerocourse ATPL textbook poking out of their flight bag.
How is an experienced king air captain with ATPL less qualified and not hired ?

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

I’m going to guess timing. Why didn’t you apply 2 years ago?

Either that, or a bad recommendation from a previous employer.

Do you have an internal recommend. If so, ask them to drop by the people department and ask how your application is looking.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

roadrunnersmother is either a troll, or a registered sex offender. He claims he can't even get an interview at EVAS, which means there can't possibly be a shortage of experienced pilots.

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

Nicky Nick’s twin maybe?

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

Roadrunnersmother wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:38 am
180 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:09 am It wasn’t that long ago that you had to spend 5 to 10 years in the bush doing hard time before you had the time and relevant experience to get into Westjet. Now you can slide into Encore with a thousand hours of day VFR Caravan time.

It's still hard to get into encore. 6000+ hr seasoned king air captain waiting for call.
Send me a PM with your info. I'll call the People Department and check in on your application.

doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

tps8903 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:53 pm
Hiring is starting again in April. I asked management for a friend who is waiting.

Current flow as of last week is 3 years and 1 month.

I have been keeping tabs on attrition at Encore by crossing names of the list at Encore as the lists are updated and comparing it with flow. As it stands the list moves 15 names a month between flow to Encore, Swoop, other airlines and differing bids. Granted any and all of those deferred folks could Flow at any point slowing the list down.

Using the ACTUAL numbers and not taking into account growth, the current flow time for a new hire will be approximately 2 years and 11 months by time their number is called for mainline. Its a one year wait for Swoop (internal rule) if you should want to work there. In reality the Encore list will be exhausted for Swoop flow by the next bid which means you can go as soon as the company lets you.

Economies change however, but in the last year those are the numbers.
I think the 5+ years flow is more realistic. 80 pilots flowed in 2017. I believe it was less in 2018. It will likely be the same or less in 2019.
I would go with 70 pilots per year.....equals well over 5 years.
As the previous poster said you should thank your lucky stars to be rhs in a Q400 with 1000 hours. And still thankful to flow in the 5-8 years.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

doiwannabeapilot wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:14 pm
I think the 5+ years flow is more realistic. 80 pilots flowed in 2017. I believe it was less in 2018. It will likely be the same or less in 2019.
As the previous poster said you should thank your lucky stars to be rhs in a Q400 with 1000 hours. And still thankful to flow in the 5-8 years.
I don't think there is anyone who feels they aren't 'lucky' to be flying a Q400 with 1000 hours - at least no one that I've met. All the lower time hires that I've met are very happy with the opportunities that are available to them right now. Most also recognize that the industry hasn't seen anything like this in years. I flew with a 26 year old Q Captain recently. Excellent pilot and person. He's worked extremely hard to get where he is, but also knows how lucky he is to be in that position at that age.

The question, however, isn't whether someone is lucky, but whether 1- the right information is being provided to applicants and, 2- whether Encore is the best choice for someone.

I think things are much better now (though there is always room for improvement like most places of work) but over a year ago I wrote a post suggesting that folks consider all their options because of reports that there were a number of new hires with unrealistically optimistic views of how quickly they would be flowing to mainline. I was worried that the unrealistic expectations were going to be setting up individuals and Encore/WJ for a lot of disappointment.

How long it will take to flow to mainline and, in another thread, how long it will take to upgrade at mainline for OTS hires are all very relevant discussions to have as to whether WJ/Encore or somewhere else is the best option for a particular individual.

Pilots by their nature love certainty. But at the end of the day taking a regional job at the moment is really more of an educated guess that a specific calculation. A year ago I would never have guessed that Georgian pilots would soon be joining Jazz with some sort of DOH agreement. At AC, there has been lots of hiring, but how long will that last? And what will life be like for new hires 3 years from now as compared to now? If WJ's growth is relatively slow for the next few years but they then decide to pick up the options on their 787s just as their first round of retirements start happening will it once again become the most coveted pilot job in Canada and, even so, will that make up for the relatively slow growth at the moment?

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

JBI wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:41 pm
doiwannabeapilot wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:14 pm
I don't think there is anyone who feels they aren't 'lucky' to be flying a Q400 with 1000 hours - at least no one that I've met. All the lower time hires that I've met are very happy with the opportunities that are available to them right now. Most also recognize that the industry hasn't seen anything like this in years. I flew with a 26 year old Q Captain recently. Excellent pilot and person. He's worked extremely hard to get where he is, but also knows how lucky he is to be in that position at that age.

The question, however, isn't whether someone is lucky, but whether 1- the right information is being provided to applicants and, 2- whether Encore is the best choice for someone.

I think things are much better now (though there is always room for improvement like most places of work) but over a year ago I wrote a post suggesting that folks consider all their options because of reports that there were a number of new hires with unrealistically optimistic views of how quickly they would be flowing to mainline. I was worried that the unrealistic expectations were going to be setting up individuals and Encore/WJ for a lot of disappointment.

How long it will take to flow to mainline and, in another thread, how long it will take to upgrade at mainline for OTS hires are all very relevant discussions to have as to whether WJ/Encore or somewhere else is the best option for a particular individual.

Pilots by their nature love certainty. But at the end of the day taking a regional job at the moment is really more of an educated guess that a specific calculation. A year ago I would never have guessed that Georgian pilots would soon be joining Jazz with some sort of DOH agreement. At AC, there has been lots of hiring, but how long will that last? And what will life be like for new hires 3 years from now as compared to now? If WJ's growth is relatively slow for the next few years but they then decide to pick up the options on their 787s just as their first round of retirements start happening will it once again become the most coveted pilot job in Canada and, even so, will that make up for the relatively slow growth at the moment?
When was WJ the most coveted job in Canada?

SPR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by SPR »

Hangry wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:14 pm When was WJ the most coveted job in Canada?
Back when AC was a basket-case that took concessions from its pilots just to keep its head above water, when JetsGo went under and took the pilots' up-front bonds with it, when Sunwing laid off half of its pilots every summer and outsourced a bunch of their jobs to Europeans; when all that was going on, WestJet was consistently profitable and growing. That was barely over a decade ago, and people who have only been in the industry during the boom of the last few years don't really appreciate what that kind of stability means.

Yieldermatik
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yieldermatik »

SPR wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:11 pm
Hangry wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:14 pm When was WJ the most coveted job in Canada?
Back when AC was a basket-case that took concessions from its pilots just to keep its head above water, when JetsGo went under and took the pilots' up-front bonds with it, when Sunwing laid off half of its pilots every summer and outsourced a bunch of their jobs to Europeans; when all that was going on, WestJet was consistently profitable and growing. That was barely over a decade ago, and people who have only been in the industry during the boom of the last few years don't really appreciate what that kind of stability means.
+1

Return to “WestJet Encore”