Hiring?

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Hiring?

Post by TFTMB heavy »

DanWEC wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:18 pm Just curious, what's driving this current push in hiring? Expansion? Movement to AC? Anticipating Duty Regs?

Can't see a large cohort of retirees there for quite a while till the core YUL guys start retiring.

Cheers
There is a steady stream of retirements, company is 30 years old...
---------- ADS -----------

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Last I've checked in was mostly YYZ positions ? Roughly how long until you're able to hold YUL ?

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

Can anyone shed some light on commuting from Vancouver-specifically if they do block days together for a commuter type schedule? I would prefer to stay on the West Coast but want to make AT my next goal. Any input on current AT commuters living on the West Coast would be appreciated. PM me also if you like-thanks!

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

FOD_Vacuum wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:54 am Can anyone shed some light on commuting from Vancouver-specifically if they do block days together for a commuter type schedule? I would prefer to stay on the West Coast but want to make AT my next goal. Any input on current AT commuters living on the West Coast would be appreciated. PM me also if you like-thanks!
Air Canada has up to 16 flights a day, at least half the time they are all full and you won't get on.
Westjet has up to 9 flights a day, most of the time there is room.
AT has a flight every day in the summer, winter hit and miss. Flights are usually full but you can jumpseat.

Schedule is seniority bid. If you are at the top of the list, you can pick and choose whatever schedule you want. If you are at the bottom of the list you get whatever is left over. In the summer it's mostly 4-6 day pairings, expect to do 4 of them per month spread out over the month so of your 12 days off you can expect to spend at least 4 of them traveling to and from YYZ. In the winter there is a mix of Europe pairings, domestic pairings, and turns from YYZ. At the bottom of the list you can expect a 8-12 turns a month spread out over the month so going back and forth between YVR-YYZ becomes problematic. Do you spend a day traveling home and back just to have a day at home or do you just spend 2 days in YYZ. Anyone in the bottom half of the list can expect to be reserve one month out of every 2 or 3 which means you will need to be sitting in YYZ for 18-19 days in the month. Bid AM reserve so that you only lose a day at the beginning of each period instead of at both ends.

If you want to make AT your goal, a move to YUL or at least YYZ would be in your best interest. If you want to stay on the West Coast, choosing the only international airline in Canada that does not have a YVR base would not be in your best interest, there are much better options.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

daedalusx wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:03 am Last I've checked in was mostly YYZ positions ? Roughly how long until you're able to hold YUL ?
Widely variable. In some classes it's under 2 years, others over 5. Then you have to bid back to YYZ for an upgrade. I would guess anyone coming on property today should be prepared to spend at least 50% of their career commuting to YYZ.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

ahramin wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:55 pm
daedalusx wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:03 am Last I've checked in was mostly YYZ positions ? Roughly how long until you're able to hold YUL ?
Widely variable. In some classes it's under 2 years, others over 5. Then you have to bid back to YYZ for an upgrade. I would guess anyone coming on property today should be prepared to spend at least 50% of their career commuting to YYZ.
Good info! I screwed up by taking a commuting job once and not looking to make that mistake again.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
frye189
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by frye189 »

What about WB flying? How many years to the FO spot on WB? How long does it normally take to upgrade?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

The majority of new hires are WB from day one. WB/NB positions are determined as per the company requirements at time of hire. It's flat pay for the first 2 years anyway. Within 2 years most of the company will be CCQ and therefore flying a mix of WB/NB each month.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

What is CCQ?

Thanks,

ahramin wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:59 am The majority of new hires are WB from day one. WB/NB positions are determined as per the company requirements at time of hire. It's flat pay for the first 2 years anyway. Within 2 years most of the company will be CCQ and therefore flying a mix of WB/NB each month.

andy_mtl
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by andy_mtl »

Being ccq means being cross trained on the 330 and 320 family.

I started in august on the 330 , but i m already marked down as 330 320 so i d assume in the next fall i will train on the 321

Andy

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

Last edited by indieadventurer on Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Any rumours on hiring forecast for 2019?

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

I heard 8 per month.

TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Any idea when the posting will go back up?

termerair
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by termerair »

TSAM wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:49 pm
TFTMB heavy wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:46 am I heard 8 per month.
Heard this as well. Not taking into consideration the new duty rules. Good time to apply.
17 new hires in February... A mix of 320 and 330. Good times, good times!

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

Any idea when the posting will be back up or if they are looking for guys this Spring at all?

WetJet
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by WetJet »

The posting is back up, and they've dropped the "bilingualism is an asset" from the ad!

https://www.transat.com/en-CA/corporate ... ingId=4105

kvny16r
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kvny16r »

They still ask for it....In the french section...
https://www.transat.com/fr-CA/corporati ... ingId=4105

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Is there hiring for YUL (like ever?) or do you have to go through YYZ to get tu YUL?

Return to “Air Transat”