Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, Sulako

Post Reply
altiplano
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 4114
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:24 pm

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by altiplano »

*FOOL* is click bait, they literally write 5x a week about Air Canada. Half the time it's "now is the time to buy" - the other half it's "the stock is going to zero."
---------- ADS -----------
  

FL320
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 322
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by FL320 »

altiplano wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:26 am
*FOOL* is click bait, they literally write 5x a week about Air Canada. Half the time it's "now is the time to buy" - the other half it's "the stock is going to zero."
You’re right.
Don’t get me wrong; I wish all the best to AC, AT and all others: we’re all in the same boat.
---------- ADS -----------
  

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:32 pm

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by sstaurus »

Yep Motley Fool is basically Fox News.
---------- ADS -----------
  

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:47 pm

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by tbayav8er »

Exactly. It's like relying on Jim Cramer from Mad Money for investment ideas. Just wanted to chime in, since I'm so sick of the constant Motley Fool ads all over the internet.
sstaurus wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:50 am
Yep Motley Fool is basically Fox News.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1307
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:18 pm
Location: CYYZ

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by Localizer »

Yep Motley Fool is basically Fox News.
Or CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, CBC ...... they’re all the same.
---------- ADS -----------
  

tsgas
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:53 pm

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by tsgas »

FL-280 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:58 pm
They are not giving up the scope clause, just limiting what TS pilots can do. The benefit, TS pilots wont be able to touch a mainline aircraft..... thats where the fuss is. The senior ac pilots that have waited a long time for that wb upgrade would let that pass in a heartbeat.
It would be a hybrid of what is going on in Europe, AC will take note of all that....

I truly believe... this is where this is going to go. Its socialized bidding at rouge too, trust me its a win win. No all out war, no 8 years in court. Both parties loose nothing. TS pilots stay vacation pilots with a slightly better wage, AC pilots remain mainline pilots and vacation pilots if they choose to.
Slightly better wage in this recession/depression , not very likely.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2172
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:51 am
Location: YUL

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

The Raven wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:47 am
If Air Canada really wanted Transat, instead of paying $18/share, why not go in there today and buy shares at $5? Hmmm, I think I answered my own question.
You are assuming that those who own shares want to sell them. Even if you see that the shares are listed at $5, it does not mean there are any for sale........
---------- ADS -----------
  

FL-280
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 257
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:45 pm

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by FL-280 »

tsgas wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:43 pm
FL-280 wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:58 pm
They are not giving up the scope clause, just limiting what TS pilots can do. The benefit, TS pilots wont be able to touch a mainline aircraft..... thats where the fuss is. The senior ac pilots that have waited a long time for that wb upgrade would let that pass in a heartbeat.
It would be a hybrid of what is going on in Europe, AC will take note of all that....

I truly believe... this is where this is going to go. Its socialized bidding at rouge too, trust me its a win win. No all out war, no 8 years in court. Both parties loose nothing. TS pilots stay vacation pilots with a slightly better wage, AC pilots remain mainline pilots and vacation pilots if they choose to.
Slightly better wage in this recession/depression , not very likely.
That comment was on Jan 15th...... 7 months later the whole deal is not very likely. Our world has changed in such a short period of time
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:32 am
Location: On glideslope.

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:02 am
The Raven wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:47 am
If Air Canada really wanted Transat, instead of paying $18/share, why not go in there today and buy shares at $5? Hmmm, I think I answered my own question.
You are assuming that those who own shares want to sell them. Even if you see that the shares are listed at $5, it does not mean there are any for sale........
It's not an unreasonable assumption: average daily volume over the past 3 months has been just over 208,000 shares/day.
---------- ADS -----------
  

rudder
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2151
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:10 pm

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by rudder »

FL320 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:39 pm
rudder wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:52 pm
FL320 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:35 pm


And they will do the same next month, we’ve been advised weeks ago.
I believe that there are two(2) further additional 30 day extensions available?
Only one left now. After the end of September other extensions will require a mutual agreement (under conditions) until the final limit of december 27th.
Sounds like September 27 is the date to circle on the calendar.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Cappo1
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:41 pm

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by Cappo1 »

FL320 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:29 am
altiplano wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:26 am
*FOOL* is click bait, they literally write 5x a week about Air Canada. Half the time it's "now is the time to buy" - the other half it's "the stock is going to zero."
You’re right.
Don’t get me wrong; I wish all the best to AC, AT and all others: we’re all in the same boat.
Its good to get a back end perspective from FL320.
---------- ADS -----------
  

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 306
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:50 am

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by iflyroads »

rudder wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:39 am
FL320 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:39 pm
rudder wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:52 pm


I believe that there are two(2) further additional 30 day extensions available?
Only one left now. After the end of September other extensions will require a mutual agreement (under conditions) until the final limit of december 27th.
Sounds like September 27 is the date to circle on the calendar.

Seems like we have been talking to the same people....
---------- ADS -----------
  

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:32 pm

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by sstaurus »

Localizer wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:25 pm
Yep Motley Fool is basically Fox News.
Or CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, CBC ...... they’re all the same.

I realize I’m just taking your troll bait here, but no, they’re not. Not even close.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Daniel Cooper
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 268
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:38 am
Location: Unknown

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by Daniel Cooper »

You're right, they're worse because more people believe they are objective journalists.

But back to Transat. Why did they say they're going to use as many one month extension as they need if they only have one left?
---------- ADS -----------
  

FL320
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 322
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 am

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by FL320 »

Daniel Cooper wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:23 pm
You're right, they're worse because more people believe they are objective journalists.

But back to Transat. Why did they say they're going to use as many one month extension as they need if they only have one left?
Other extensions will then require a mutual agreement with AC, not just a notice.
---------- ADS -----------
  

tsgas
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:53 pm

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by tsgas »

sstaurus wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:40 pm
Localizer wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:25 pm
Yep Motley Fool is basically Fox News.
Or CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, CBC ...... they’re all the same.

I realize I’m just taking your troll bait here, but no, they’re not. Not even close.
The CBC is bought and paid for by Trudeau. :oops:
---------- ADS -----------
  

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1020
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by Fanblade »

rudder wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:39 am
FL320 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:39 pm
rudder wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:52 pm


I believe that there are two(2) further additional 30 day extensions available?
Only one left now. After the end of September other extensions will require a mutual agreement (under conditions) until the final limit of december 27th.
Sounds like September 27 is the date to circle on the calendar.
Under the current cash burn, quarantine outlook and government refusal of aid, by December AC will be weighing its Q1/Q2 2021 CCAA options.

Pretty sure Transat is just going through their fiduciary obligations at the moment knowing full well the deal under its current conditions is extremely remote.

I can’t see the Trudeau government trying to saddle AC with the current Transat deal in exchange for aid. The appearance of public money transferring to Transat shareholders is way too big a political hot potato.

I think what should concern everyone is what strings would be attached to government aid. For example what if aid comes with a carbon reduction target that forces AC and Transat to shrink to meet the target?

The past shows us Trudeau hands out public money to industry with demands they meet his agenda. I doubt he will pass on this opportunity.
---------- ADS -----------
  

fishface
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:20 pm

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by fishface »

sstaurus wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:40 pm
Localizer wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:25 pm
Yep Motley Fool is basically Fox News.
Or CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, CBC ...... they’re all the same.

I realize I’m just taking your troll bait here, but no, they’re not. Not even close.
Get real. It’s all the same garbage.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1307
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:18 pm
Location: CYYZ

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by Localizer »

I don’t know why AC, TS, SW, and WJ don’t take a page out of the WE Charity playbook! Pay Mama Trudeau $300,000-$450,000 and receive a government cheque for $912 million. Sounds like a good deal!
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “Air Transat”