Beginning of Transat wave?

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Beginning of Transat wave?

Post by FL-280 »

History has shown us that there is no way in hell the lists would be merged. That is why it's called ACPA and not ALPA....

It would continue to run as a seperate company IMHO
---------- ADS -----------

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

ALPA is date of hire blend.

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:52 pm ALPA is date of hire blend.

Thats fine , Air Canada is not ALPA and they would be the one buying

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

FL-280 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:40 pm
TFTMB heavy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:52 pm ALPA is date of hire blend.

Thats fine , Air Canada is not ALPA and they would be the one buying
I also said I only see it happening if ACPA joins ALPA...

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I suspect the top execs worry about more than what unions represent one employee group. They probably don't even care.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

goingnowherefast wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:26 pm I suspect the top execs worry about more than what unions represent one employee group. They probably don't even care.
AC management has been proactive when it comes to avoiding labour disputes in the past 5-6 years. They got involved in the Jazz-GNN deal.

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

Very interesting ...

Anyone remember how the Canadian / AC merger went through? Were they represented by the same union? I don't recall the details.

And what ended up being the animosity between AC and CDN pilots back in the day when this merger happened?

Ypilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ypilot »

Wow, amazing.

Seriously, it is really beautiful to see where this conversation is headed, there is a word for it, speculation.

Now. Let's say that I would really be an AC pilot like tsgas aka ex ts pilot, why would I be voicing out my opinion about the lifespan that is left at TS. Let me do some Freud analysis for you. Your life isn't what you thought it would be, and you regret it. But if TS would go under, what a good decision would it be anyway. Ok, sorry guys I am just leveling off.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

One thing had always been a rock solid fact- if my financial advisor said he was also a pilot he'd be out faster than wow.
Always a narrow viewpoint.

Although rudder seems to have some sensible perspective.

I have no idea what TRZ's working capital looks like but I very much doubt it's critical. They bought a huge tract of land to develop, but also had to sell a previous chunk to generate cash.

Share price was likely overvalued in the last 12 months which, in my opinion, is a large reason why they been shedding and trending down. Anyhow, as mentioned they have far more assets than a traditional airline- It's not just investors providing backing for credit to lease airplanes to fly routes, hoping to generate a revenue stream from seats with no assets or cushion.
Tourism is never static. There will always be periods of loss and adjustment, just the way it is. As I said in a post earlier, look at tui's trajectory the last 5 years- identical to TRZ's.

From a pilots perspective- I think everyone's job is safe. Worst case if something happened in the future, as rudder said, they would get bought out, not fold.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:38 am
So all of you that ditched TS in the past few years for AC will end up behind the pilots that stayed at TS on the seniority list if they blend them.

You can rest assured that if the worst case scenerio merger happened the AC pilots would go down kicking and screaming. Article one of the ACPA contract says in the event of a merger the ACPA can void the contract and start from scratch, we can renegotiate all aspects of our contract and strike if needed. It would not be the warm DOH welcome you have pictured in your head. Even if ACPA goes ALPA the merger will not nessescarily be DOH, that is a myth. see the Virgin/Alaskan Merger if you want a very recent example, both alpa careers final outcome very diffèrent from straight DOH.
DOH and career expectations are to be looked at among other things.
I am not saying you wont get DOH, but its a long road from here to there.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

Sharklasers wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:25 am
TFTMB heavy wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:38 am
So all of you that ditched TS in the past few years for AC will end up behind the pilots that stayed at TS on the seniority list if they blend them.

You can rest assured that if the worst case scenerio merger happened the AC pilots would go down kicking and screaming. Article one of the ACPA contract says in the event of a merger the ACPA can void the contract and start from scratch, we can renegotiate all aspects of our contract and strike if needed. It would not be the warm DOH welcome you have pictured in your head. Even if ACPA goes ALPA the merger will not nessescarily be DOH, that is a myth. see the Virgin/Alaskan Merger if you want a very recent example, both alpa careers final outcome very diffèrent from straight DOH.
DOH and career expectations are to be looked at among other things.
I am not saying you wont get DOH, but its a long road from here to there.
Nothing is ever a done deal but the Alaskan vs Virgin merger had two carries with very different histories and virgin being so young compared to Alaskan. Was a big factor in the decision, it went to a panel.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

From experience.

If the two merging pilots groups can not come to an agreement on their own, the whole seniority bun fight goes to the labor board to decide. It doesn't matter ALPA's policy or ACPA's policy. Nor does it matter what the company may want or think. The only opinion that will matter is that of the arbitrator appointed by the labor board.

Again from experience. It is better to do a deal and avoid arbitration.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Fanblade wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:22 pm From experience.

If the two merging pilots groups can not come to an agreement on their own, the whole seniority bun fight goes to the labor board to decide. It doesn't matter ALPA's policy or ACPA's policy. Nor does it matter what the company may want or think. The only opinion that will matter is that of the arbitrator appointed by the labor board.

How could it be better? It's a zero sum situation. No matter what the arbitrator decides, the group as a whole is not better or worse off. If the deal has you on the bottom and the arbitrator puts you in the middle, how could the deal be better?

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

ahramin wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:26 pm
Fanblade wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:22 pm From experience.

How could it be better? It's a zero sum situation. No matter what the arbitrator decides, the group as a whole is not better or worse off. If the deal has you on the bottom and the arbitrator puts you in the middle, how could the deal be better?
No one understands the situation better than the individuals impacted. Injustices take place at the hands of those who don't really understand the complete ramifications of what they are doing.

Arbitration is a risk

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

rudder wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:03 am With a market cap under $200MM TRZ is a potential target for an unsolicited takeover offer.

There is a certain other related company sitting on $1B+ in cash. Acquiring TRZ and selling off non-operational assets would certainly improve its own competitive position and increase yields.
What if someone is looking at the tour operation side of Transat but doesn't want the airline side? Perhaps multiple purchases and consolidation. What value does the airline side of Transat have without the tour operation side?

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

Fanblade wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:09 pm
rudder wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:03 am With a market cap under $200MM TRZ is a potential target for an unsolicited takeover offer.

There is a certain other related company sitting on $1B+ in cash. Acquiring TRZ and selling off non-operational assets would certainly improve its own competitive position and increase yields.
What if someone is looking at the tour operation side of Transat but doesn't want the airline side? Perhaps multiple purchases and consolidation. What value does the airline side of Transat have without the tour operation side?
Anything is possible, but the distribution Transat has is directly linked to the Airline. We currently have over 90% of the lift sold by the group. I suspect the airline side of the business is a big part of the deal being discussed.

RILEY
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RILEY »

Any word on application timelines & upcoming ground schools?

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

September ground school was moved up to start on Monday, May 13th.

That is all I know.

bythenumbers
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bythenumbers »

flyinhigh wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:23 pm September ground school was moved up to start on Monday, May 13th.

That is all I know.
How many ground schools were they running in September?

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Sorry don't know. I only know the one course was bumped as I will be in attendance.

Return to “Air Transat”