DOH merge.

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: DOH merge.

Post by RVR6000 »

fish4life wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:26 pm Because he will go from an awesome schedule to a shitty one, again it may be hard to see because it’s not the same goals in life but some people are ok making less money for a good schedule.
And a massive uplift in pay. You can keep the awesome schedule and be restricted to just flying Rouge.
---------- ADS -----------

HavaJava
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HavaJava »

RVR6000 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:46 am [quote=fish4life post_id=<a href="tel:1079653">1079653</a> time=<a href="tel:1558931176">1558931176</a> user_id=31965]
Because he will go from an awesome schedule to a shitty one, again it may be hard to see because it’s not the same goals in life but some people are ok making less money for a good schedule.
And a massive uplift in pay. You can keep the awesome schedule and be restricted to just flying Rouge.
[/quote]

This...what a lot of people outside of AC don’t realize is just how many ways you can balance lifestyle and pay in this company. If you have 4 years in the company (maybe even less) you can already choose

1. Captain’s pay (close to $200,000 with 4 YOS on the NB) and the prestige (if you’re into that.)
2. 9 days a month work (RP).
3. Great long layover and socialized bidding (again, if you’re into that) at Rouge.
4. I’m trying to think of something me redeeming qualities of Mainline NB FO...but I’m struggling :lol: might be because I spent 8 years there.

And the options only get better as time goes on. There are so many options that to say that someone will go from an “awesome schedule to a shitty schedule” is completely untrue.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

fish4life wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:26 pm Because he will go from an awesome schedule to a shitty one, again it may be hard to see because it’s not the same goals in life but some people are ok making less money for a good schedule.
I think this is a good discussion to have between two groups that are potentially merging within the next few years. I think we're all starting to get a better idea of the complexities involved.

I understand many senior Transat pilots enjoy their lifestyle. However, so do many senior Air Canada pilots, that's exactly why they choose to stay in senior positions as opposed to bidding into higher paying positions and why seniority is such a BIG issue. Some Transat Captains will bid into higher paying positions, just as AC pilots do, while some will choose lifestyle.

I'm not an advocate of placing fences around positions or keeping separate seniority lists, but somebody is going to feel cheated regardless or whether the new entity shrinks or grows.

For example, the 787 Captain position in YUL. Just 35 positions where the seniority range from top to bottom of the list is 950 seniority numbers. It's a big raise to a Transat Captain and involves flying 3 trips to PVG or NRT. Who deserves to be awarded the next vacancy a pilot hired at Air Canda in 1996 or someone from Transat who was hired in '92 or '99 or '02?

There are currently about 650 postitions at AC that pay a higher wage than the top Transat Captain rate. The most junior pilot awarded one of those seats is about sen #1200 or roughly 23 years, every one of those pilots could hold rouge 767 and earn the same wage as a Transat 330 CA, but they've bid for the higher paying job.

Once again, I hope that both groups can work together to find an agreed upon solution without resorting to arbitration so the united group can shift its focus on negotiating a solid collective agreement.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

What if you take the median seniority position at each company using as close to a DOH as you can at AC and then start using a ratio from there in each direction?

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

fish4life wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:36 am What if you take the median seniority position at each company using as close to a DOH as you can at AC and then start using a ratio from there in each direction?
The real issue here is not so much how the top integrates even though that is where the focus usually lands. It’s the bottom that is the flash point. Dealing with the bottom will be paramount to getting a resolution outside of arbitration and getting a deal that is fair.

We might as well call it like it is. No matter how we integrate the list, DOH, ratio or throwing darts at a picture of our respective CEO’s, the last guys/gals are still the last guys/gals. To the bottom, the how we integrate is meaningless because the end result for them is the same. It means about 500 Transat pilots sliding in above the bottom 500 AC pilots.

From the junior AC and Transat pilot perception, they are getting end tailed. And let’s be honest. They are. The bottom is the bottom

A too bad so sad response will only elicit fury. Fury that may force ACPA’s hand. Trust me on this. Sometimes it’s just easier on the leadership, to not lead, and just let someone else figure it out. That, in of itself, is probably one of the biggest threats to achieving a resolution without arbitration.

So if we really want a negotiated combined list? Stop looking at the top. Figure out the bottom. And that will be a daunting task.

Added: someone pm’d me with this idea. A set of reinstatement rights for junior AC and Transat pilots that would allow them to bid things, out of seniority, but in keeping with their pre merger relative expectations over a limited period of time?

Another.

Since Transat pilots represent about 15% of the list. Limit Transat pilots to a maximum of 15% of specific positions?

Another.

Limit Transat pilots to the number of positions they bring for a specified amount of time? They bring 100 320 CA positions, they get limited to that for x years? But what is good for the goose is also good for the gander. Limit AC pilots from bidding 330 positions for x years.

Comments?

Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

Protecting the bottom of the list is tough, although I understand the concern. During the last mess, some of the most vocal were the hyper junior Pilots.

So the question is, if you are measuring your Airline seniority in "months" rather than "years," who exactly do you think should be junior to you?

On a side note, the most recent Pilot merger in Canada was Jazz and Georgian which was DOH. It is a complete mystery why ALPA Jazz just gave that up, talk about hurting the Junior Jazz Pilots. Is ALPA Jazz trying to set precedent, I am not a conspiracy theorist but it makes one wonder.

There is no hope of a negotiated list, as mentioned above. This will go to Arbitration, just like every other major integration did.

laserstrike
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by laserstrike »

Stu Pidasso wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 10:31 am Protecting the bottom of the list is tough, although I understand the concern. During the last mess, some of the most vocal were the hyper junior Pilots.

So the question is, if you are measuring your Airline seniority in "months" rather than "years," who exactly do you think should be junior to you?

On a side note, the most recent Pilot merger in Canada was Jazz and Georgian which was DOH. It is a complete mystery why ALPA Jazz just gave that up, talk about hurting the Junior Jazz Pilots. Is ALPA Jazz trying to set precedent, I am not a conspiracy theorist but it makes one wonder.

There is no hope of a negotiated list, as mentioned above. This will go to Arbitration, just like every other major integration did.
The GGN and Jazz merge isn't even close to the same thing. The contract as a whole, was to include 350+ pilots leaving to mainline before the end of the year and effectively seniority wasn't effected. GGN has something like 200 pilots.

Without the GGN pilots there wouldn't have been the 60/90% flow deal. What the AT pilots coming over brings is just more bodies integrating with zero offset of people leaving to go to the "next step." It's working so far the last few AC classes have been majority Jazz.

Literally no Jr Jazz pilot was hurt. Everyone moved up the list significantly, lots of Jr Captains gone and going to mainline, lots of new upgrades... Hundreds.

There was also the argument that both were doing exactly the same flying for the same company and both ALPA carriers.

It's not comparable.

Jean-Luc Monette
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jean-Luc Monette »

Sharklasers wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:42 am
TSAM wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 7:32 am
Overall if all goes ideally, no one will ever notice a reduction in seniority % or upgrade times if affected. Most, if not all should benefit especially in a new contract. I'm sure when the MECs sit down and crunch the numbers to reflect this most can breathe easy. I'm very certain no one at AC will lose their position. Same can't be said for TS pilots.

This is because for a lot of people TS isn't a career company and enough of the pilots quit or came to AC, keeping TS substantially more junior.

I don’t know where or who you got that info from but it’s completely false.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

Jean-Luc Monette wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:34 pm
They are headed somewhere, how else could you explain the fact that your 25% pilot was hired in 2006 vs AC at 1997. Further to that AC has hired over 100 Transat pilots (about 1/6 of your current list) how many have gone the other way?
I never said the majority leave Transat but enough do to make a percentage merger grossly one sided in favour of the TS pilots.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Sharklasers wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:33 pm
Jean-Luc Monette wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:34 pm
They are headed somewhere, how else could you explain the fact that your 25% pilot was hired in 2006 vs AC at 1997. Further to that AC has hired over 100 Transat pilots (about 1/6 of your current list) how many have gone the other way?
I never said the majority leave Transat but enough do to make a percentage merger grossly one sided in favour of the TS pilots.
Same on the other end of the list...

75% @ AC about 5-6 years ago.
75% @ TS about 3 years ago.

I've flown with about 6 or 7 that came from Transat in the past year.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

Last edited by Just another canuck on Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
laserstrike
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by laserstrike »

Just another canuck wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:44 pm So no DOH and no percentage based merger? An arbitrator will be looking at one or both of these options as a starting point. We're not going BOTL. So what exactly do you think is going to happen? Sounds like it's certainly in everyone's best interest to secure a deal before it goes to arbitration. Although the TS group could get a raw deal, it appears AC would be more at risk. DOH then? I know our whole group would be okay with that. Or risk arbitration and have a possible percentage based merger and you all hate showing up to work with us or the next 3 decades.
You can always apply at Enerjet.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

Last edited by Just another canuck on Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I think all the bravado on both sides is bullshit...

I don't think an arbitrator would conclude straight DOH or ratio as it's an unreasonable windfall for one group. They won't put everyone BOTL either of course.

Our leadership know that and I think will find a fair conclusion to this when/if it happens (still hoping it doesn't), and it will probablybe with the help of the arbitrator as a mediator before we get to arbitration.

I'm thinking I'll be surprised if this goes to full arbitration. Bottom of the list guys at AC are fucked either way. Whatever comes, they are still bottom of the list with 600+ more above them though...

I'm not bottom of the list, but movement since 2012 fly to 65 has been pretty slow, I imagine I'll lose about my last 4-6 years worth of numbers in the deal... didn't mean I have to like it.

I'm managing my expectations, I think that's a majority consensus at AC - guys don't like it - but are managing expectations on this come up with something fair but not outrageously slanted...

I'd suggest to Transat guys to ignore the BOTL ideas, that's clearly not happening, but also manage your own expectations.

Your seniority list isn't pure DOH, I see lots of guys not in order by DOH on your list... neither is ours, so you can't merge on that. We have senior guys here who have been at AC years before Transat even existed, you can't merge on pure ratio. So manage your own expectations of "fair".

I know some of you said I never wanted to go to AC, lifestyle, widebody, whatever, but we have lots and lots of guys, more guys than your whole list with great lifestyles too, high credit turns, or high credit overseas for 8-10 days/month, and making more money for equivalent and better seats, we just have more, period... so an arbitrator isn't going to care about perceptions of lifestyle, they're going to come up with a starting point based on contract value and pay rates, they're going to come up with a position value formula, a seniority value ratio, etc. and base decisions on that.

The Transat guys are all going to get protections for some years moving forward, and everyone will get a raise, many will take big raises, and we'll all move on...

Sure, a few Transat guys will work more but for more money and a better contract, but all AC guys will get nothing, most will take hits in advancement opportunity, schedule bidding, money, some will take an even bigger hit, maybe be reduced or get the left seat taken...

I think lots of Transat guys will still think it's unfair though, ie. not DOH or pure ratio, but somewhat adjusted, so I hope you guys manage your expectations somewhat too... and remember, lots of choice here... if you don't like where you end up when it all settles, bid to a higher paying spot, or bid to a position where you'll be more senior and doing what you want... heck, go on vacation and bid RP and pass on RSV even if you don't want to work... you'll get a chance about 6x a year.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

Just another canuck wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:44 pm So no DOH and no percentage based merger? An arbitrator will be looking at one or both of these options as a starting point. We're not going BOTL. So what exactly do you think is going to happen? Sounds like it's certainly in everyone's best interest to secure a deal before it goes to arbitration. Although the TS group could get a raw deal, it appears AC would be more at risk. DOH then? I know our whole group would be okay with that. Or risk arbitration and have a possible percentage based merger and you all hate showing up to work with us or the next 3 decades.
Yep. Even as a junior pilot I would take DOH certainity.

TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

First of all you don't own any of your airplanes.

Secondly- some of those 330s are old.

Thirdly - the 330-200s are most of your 330s and AC has never wanted 200s - even on the used/leased market in their recent shopping trips. 200s don't fit... They will be short lived if they come at all...

Fourthly - the 321s, sure, but again AC have recently been on their own 321 shopping trips... incl. New CEOs, WOW CEOs, and more.... we would have gotten them anyway and without you attached, or at least the 45 options they hold on MAXs after that washes out or the 30 options on the CS300s - and so far you've only gotten 1 of the NEOs... and a couple CEOs kicking around...

Fifthly - the 310s and 737s are gone obviously immediately, earlier than Transat's current timeline... So what are you going to fly? AC metal.

Sixthly - as history has indicated (Canadi>n), AC mostly disposed of the fleet... used some of the 767s, a few of the old 737s as Zip for a while until somehow we had to take 320 pay concessions to roll the 737 flying back into mainline... So I just don't think your fleet will outlast you here... a few 321s... that's it... and 600+ pilots.

Seventhly - you don't augment any of your flying, yet you bring a slightly higher ratio of pilots:plane than we have, even if every fin comes and flies...

Again nothing personal, you asked, and that's just how I see it unfolding. Similar growth happens either way if it can be sustained...

Last edited by altiplano on Mon May 27, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

double post

laserstrike
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by laserstrike »

altiplano wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:52 pm First of all you don't own any of your airplanes.

Secondly- some of those 330s are old.

Thirdly - the 330-200s are most of your 330s and AC has never wanted 200s - even on the used/leased market in their recent shopping trips. 200s don't fit... They will be short lived if they come at all...

Fourthly - the 321s, sure, but again AC have recently been on their own 321 shopping trips... incl. New CEOs, WOW CEOs, and more.... we would have gotten them anyway and without you attached, or at least the 45 options they hold on MAXs after that washes out or the 30 options on the CS300s - and so far you've only gotten 1 of the NEOs... and a couple CEOs kicking around...

Fifthly - the 310s and 737s are gone obviously immediately, earlier than Transat's current timeline... So what are you going to fly? AC metal.

Sixthly - as history has indicated (Canadi>n), AC mostly disposed of the fleet... used some of the 767s, a few of the old 737s as Zip for a while until somehow we had to take 320 pay concessions to roll the 737 flying back into mainline... So I just don't think your fleet will outlast you here... a few 321s... that's it... and 600+ pilots.

Seventhly - you don't augment any of your flying, yet you bring a slightly higher ratio of pilots:plane than we have, even if every fin comes and flies...

Again nothing personal, you asked, and that's just how I see it unfolding. Similar growth happens either way if it can be sustained...
I don't know who you are but I hope you are involved in ACPA leadership or have a listening ear in their group. You make a lot of very good and valid points and if this is going to happen I want ACPA to use all the points you've made as negotiation tactics to get some significant gains all around.

We own our seniority list. If the company wants us to open it up to another group, of another union.. they need to give something in return.

At the new hire dinner I remember hearing a lot about how were all one group and the union is there to work for everyone, protect the seniority etc. So if we're going to have to take AT pilots in I want to see the union make some improvements for everyone, especially the bottom thousand on the list to take a bit of pain away. Mostly the flat pay and pay raises for everyone else including FOs through to year 10+.

One of the things that's currently really broken with the system is people who need to "risk" a Jr upgrade just so they can get off status pay and make a living. No one should feel pressured to take a left seat because they can't live comfortably on FO pay.

Probation is one year. Go look at pay tables for a US carriers. It's artificially low for one year and then year 2 pilots are making more than mid upper pack FOs at AC. It's a joke.

Last edited by laserstrike on Mon May 27, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laserstrike
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by laserstrike »

No problem you can have that at AC. Go bid FO on the 320 or RP. 1.5 year YYZ FOs on the 320 are sitting 30-40 out of a projected list of 200 and currently over 100 pilots.

Return to “Air Transat”