DOH merge.

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: DOH merge.

Post by FL320 »

altiplano wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:08 pm With 2 largest shareholders already against the deal @31%, they may be fighting to pass the shareholder vote.
Don’t worry the 2 shareholders will approve the deal, no doubt about it 😉
And some TS guys are advocating for top of the list
I have no idea where this rumor comes from but I highly doubt that it’s true. I met many colleagues and none are advocating for top of your list. Most are concerned about their lifestyle.
---------- ADS -----------

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re:

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

RFN wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:30 am DQ - Dual Qualified. This program is already over, but a large chunk of us flew the 737 during the winter season, and widebody Airbus during the Summer season. Just a matter of doing an extra sim at PPC renewal time.

CCQ - Cross Qualification. The shortened training required to swap from A330 to A321 and vice versa. 4 sims then a PPC.

MFF - Multi Fleet Flying. Fly an A330 to Paris, layover, and fly an A321 Neo-LR back to YUL. WIth a host of restrictions like takeoffs and landings in each type in a defined window etc etc.
I flew the A321 last winter after doing a CCQ, and came back to the A330 in March. It is my understanding, that until the MFF is approved,(if it ever is) and as long as my 330 or 321 PPCs don't expire, I can switch back and forth between the A330 and the A321 with just an extra sim session at each switch, so that qualifies as DQ (Dual Qualified A330 and A321). It just that at Air Transat, we took the habit of calling "DQ" an Airbus/737 switch, but a 330/321 switch is DQ as well, not just the way we have been using the term so far.

We have been flying what one of our Presidents called "An accordion fleet", meaning we have been grounding a certain number on un-needed wide bodies in the winter, and dry leasing a number of 737s and A321s from Europe in the winter. The extra crews from the grounded wide-bodies were transferred to the additional 737s and 321s during the winter, and came back to the wide bodies in the summer, at which point all the wide-bodies were put back in service and the extra narrow bodies sent back to their European operators.

This was a survival technique to adapt our fleet to the type of flying that was required according to the season, first started in light of the Sunwing business model.

Air Canada might change all that once they start calling the shots. They have their own needs and constraints......, some of which are dictated by the grounding of the 737 Max fleet in the short term.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Fanblade wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:51 pm
altiplano wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:35 pm There's no way AC Pilots give on scope for a seperate C scale. All the most productive flying would just go there, that's what happened when we got a B scale.

There is no way AC Pilots will allow any LCC expansion beyond the contract either. Like putting the 330s at rouge.

I could see a deal bringing the LCC767s back to mainline and running a 330/320 mixed LCC fleet within the existing ratios. I could even see them negotiating to do that as 1 LCC pilot group flying both types and ACPA getting some gains to allow it.

I'd want LOU74 eliminated, plus 5 hour/calendar day DBM, to give 320/330 dual checked pilots for the LCC flying at a blended rate... That would be a huge savings for the corp even at mainline wawcon. Not to mention the flexibility they would gain. Meanwhile pilots would get rid of B-scale and most would get a better schedule.

Leverage will exist in this deal somewhere, hopefully we don't piss it away.

If they moved the 767's back to mainline the corp wouldn't need to cut a deal to have Transat's 330's at the LCC. It could be done under the existing agreement.

Therefore no bargaining leverage exists under your proposal. Not saying your wrong in that you might have nailed the outcome. Just saying negotiation is not needed.
Keep in mind that much of the Rouge 767 fleet is at the end of their service life. The 767 is the same generation as the Airbus 310 which Transat is phasing out within the next couple years (although 767 production outlived 310 production by a long shot). Transat's fleet of 20 A330s is much younger. If the clause that allowed the creation of Rouge specifically states the B767 by name and that aircraft is phased out, the contract language will have to be updated to reflect reality.

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

FL320 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:24 pm
altiplano wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:08 pm With 2 largest shareholders already against the deal @31%, they may be fighting to pass the shareholder vote.
Don’t worry the 2 shareholders will approve the deal, no doubt about it 😉
And some TS guys are advocating for top of the list
I have no idea where this rumor comes from but I highly doubt that it’s true. I met many colleagues and none are advocating for top of your list. Most are concerned about their lifestyle.
"no doubt about it" well try telling the market that story. TRZ shares dropped to $11.96 today which is $.1.04 below the $13.00 take out price.

FYI only death and taxes are a sure thing. :cry:

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Imagine being Transat after this deal gets voted down. Though if they've already bribed the execs I'm sure they could get to the large shareholders too.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:19 am

Keep in mind that much of the Rouge 767 fleet is at the end of their service life. The 767 is the same generation as the Airbus 310 which Transat is phasing out within the next couple years (although 767 production outlived 310 production by a long shot). Transat's fleet of 20 A330s is much younger. If the clause that allowed the creation of Rouge specifically states the B767 by name and that aircraft is phased out, the contract language will have t be updated to reflect reality.
The language that specifically states rhe B767 by name was not done by accident or oversight. The B767 was specified so that the rouge widebody operation has a 'best by' date attached to it. When the 767s are all used up the company will either have to come to the table with a shitload of 787s for the mainline or money to renegotiate something more to their liking.
Our article 1 agreed upon by the membership and company was written with a transat merger in mind and contains specific protections that will prevent your A330s from heading to rouge.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Sharklasers wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:38 am
The language that specifically states rhe B767 by name was not done by accident or oversight. The B767 was specified so that the rouge widebody operation has a 'best by' date attached to it. When the 767s are all used up the company will either have to come to the table with a shitload of 787s for the mainline or money to renegotiate something more to their liking.
Our article 1 agreed upon by the membership and company was written with a transat merger in mind and contains specific protections that will prevent your A330s from heading to rouge.
Are you sure?

Take a really close look at Article 1 and take a look at the Rouge WB substitution language. AC has been adding 330’s above the minimum required mainline WB fleet which may permit “equal or smaller” size WB fleet substitutions at Rouge.

I would not be surprised to see CR take the position that existing Rouge fleet and flying will return to mainline (AC can paint the planes any colour that it wants, offer whatever level of in flight service that it wants, and charge whatever fares it wants), consolidate the Rouge pilots back on mainline equipment rosters, and designate the Transat operation as the “leisure operation” contemplated by LOU74. The Rouge OC will cease to exist. Seniority lists will by contractual necessity be integrated.

CR would not trigger this transaction without a plan that would ensure that he was not being held hostage by the pilots. His track record is clear.

It will be interesting to see what direction this transaction takes if it receives shareholder and regulatory approval.

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

rudder wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:44 am
Are you sure?

Take a really close look at Article 1 and take a look at the Rouge WB substitution language. AC has been adding 330’s above the minimum required mainline WB fleet which may permit “equal or smaller” size WB fleet substitutions at Rouge.

I would not be surprised to see CR take the position that existing Rouge fleet and flying will return to mainline (AC can paint the planes any colour that it wants, offer whatever level of in flight service that it wants, and charge whatever fares it wants), consolidate the Rouge pilots back on mainline equipment rosters, and designate the Transat operation as the “leisure operation” contemplated by LOU74. The Rouge OC will cease to exist. Seniority lists will by contractual necessity be integrated.

CR would not trigger this transaction without a plan that would ensure that he was not being held hostage by the pilots. His track record is clear.

It will be interesting to see what direction this transaction takes if it receives shareholder and regulatory approval.
My wish list.

1) %10 min pay bump across the board. We need to fix new hire pay, yes... but not if nothing else gets a bump. You spend one year at year 1-4 and potentially 15+ at year 12. Look at Envoy, they are now making the equivalent of $65/hr to fly EMB145s. We are a JOKE.
2) If you can hold WB FO within the "flat pay" years, you should be off flat pay. Just like if you upgrade to CA. Flat pay should reduce to 2 years.
3) Better RES rules and a max days worked for WB pilots at 16.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Absolutely not #3.... the degradation and dilution of seniority is in large part because of the 16 day max. No more socialization. Yes, the blocks at low seniority on the WB suck. Lobby to change DPG, THG and PBS articles. Reserve sucks too but that problem shouldn't be mixed with scheduling.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

rudder wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:44 am
Are you sure?

I agree Rudder. As I said earlier in this thread, AC has options which can all be accomplished without talking to us. You point out the substitution language. I would point out that moving Rouges 767’s back to mainline adds 25 WB’s to the mainline fleet which can then be used to grow Rouge/Transat.

Under the current language Transat would be capped at 25 WB’s but massive NB growth would be possible.

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

Looks like Mach is back and is attempting to gain control of enough shares to vote against the AC deal and then propose a deal of their own. This ain't over yet!

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/mach- ... 00380.html

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Yay Group Mach!

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Jees I hope not. Likely just drive the price up a buck for AC.

aerodude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aerodude »

DanWEC wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:20 pm Jees I hope not. Likely just drive the price up a buck for AC.
As a TRZ shareholder, I better get a higher price if offered. This isn’t charity.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

Last edited by Just another canuck on Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Just another canuck wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:55 pm
altiplano wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:18 pm Yay Group Mach!
Would you rather the merge happen or no merge and every TS employee lose their job? Just curious.
I object to your false analogy.

I don't want AC to acquire Transat. Period.

Status quo, Mach, Onex, I don't care. But not AC.

I made no inference on the balance of your fallacy.

aerodude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aerodude »

Wouldn’t it be a win win for Transat if AC doesn’t acquire Transat? No need to worry about seniority if merger is denied.

Seems Transat Pilots were nervous from this article anyways:

http://mi.lapresse.ca/screens/133d9b3c- ... C___0.html

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

aerodude wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:51 am Wouldn’t it be a win win for Transat if AC doesn’t acquire Transat? No need to worry about seniority if merger is denied.

Seems Transat Pilots were nervous from this article anyways:

http://mi.lapresse.ca/screens/133d9b3c- ... C___0.html
Be careful what you wish for. Transat's management has a proven record for milking the company and losing money , on a constant basis. If the new owners want to turn around the company , than major changes would be needed. Just pray that someone like Mike the White isn't brought in to cut expenses and increase productivity. :lol:

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

altiplano wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:14 am
Just another canuck wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:55 pm
altiplano wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:18 pm Yay Group Mach!
Would you rather the merge happen or no merge and every TS employee lose their job? Just curious.
I object to your false analogy.

I don't want AC to acquire Transat. Period.

Status quo, Mach, Onex, I don't care. But not AC.

I made no inference on the balance of your fallacy.
What are you afraid of?
Anyway we both know the deal with AC will be finalized at the end of the poker game; there is no need to worry so much! :goodman:

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

tsgas wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:04 am Be careful what you wish for. Transat's management has a proven record for milking the company and losing money , on a constant basis.
Year Net Income in Millions

1996 22,202
1997 25,364
1998 19,731
1999 30,022
2000 36,64
2001 -99,0
2002 11,678
2003 -9,147
2004 72,32
2005 55,416
2006 65,77
2007 78,503
2008 -50,011
2009 61,847
2010 65,607
2011 -11,652
2012 -13,536
2013 61,202
2014 20,066
2015 46,964
2016 -36,759
2017 138,372
2018 7,361

Net Income Over the period 1996-2018 $598,96
Over a 23 year period the company posted a loss only in 2001, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2012 and 2016.

I think all years before 1996 were profitable.

Return to “Air Transat”