DOH merge.

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: DOH merge.

Post by BE02 Driver »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:13 pm
BE02 Driver wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:46 am
This has always been a concern for me amongst many regarding AC and why I've remained firmly on the sidelines. I grew up believing that AC was the be-all-end-all of Canadian aviation (thanks to stubborn family in the game - but that would also be pot calling the kettle...). The more you listen, the more you realize it's just another unionized shift job, with pilots and their abacus' comparing hourlys and pensions.

As an outsider, I loved traveling on TS with my family. They've always taken good care of us. My spouse loved her time there, but family took precedent. I am a little sad to hear TS potentially losing it's identity if this merger goes through.

So that being said - and sorry to all the TS pilots who were PFO'd from AC and see this as a way to get in - but I hope this deal falls through and TS remains independent and profitable.

Should that not happen, good luck to all the TS employees, it sounds like there are many at big red who would welcome you happily and I hope everyone gets an even and fair deal if and when the time comes.

S.
Profitable?

We must be reading different financial reports.
Airline "profitable" 😁😅, losing 35ish million ain't bad for an airline in a fleet acquistion year, plus economical turmoil south of the border and poor USD/CAD performance.

May'be it's time they rebrand or restructure, getting sucked into AC isn't it though hehe.

S.
[/quote]

I disagree. If an airline is losing money when most other airlines are making money that's a bad sign. AC and WJ are taking in profits. If AT can't turn a profit in relative good times what makes you think they can when times get really tough?
---------- ADS -----------

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

BE02 Driver wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:49 am
BE02 Driver wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:46 am
This has always been a concern for me amongst many regarding AC and why I've remained firmly on the sidelines. I grew up believing that AC was the be-all-end-all of Canadian aviation (thanks to stubborn family in the game - but that would also be pot calling the kettle...). The more you listen, the more you realize it's just another unionized shift job, with pilots and their abacus' comparing hourlys and pensions.

As an outsider, I loved traveling on TS with my family. They've always taken good care of us. My spouse loved her time there, but family took precedent. I am a little sad to hear TS potentially losing it's identity if this merger goes through.

So that being said - and sorry to all the TS pilots who were PFO'd from AC and see this as a way to get in - but I hope this deal falls through and TS remains independent and profitable.

Should that not happen, good luck to all the TS employees, it sounds like there are many at big red who would welcome you happily and I hope everyone gets an even and fair deal if and when the time comes.

S.
Profitable?

Airline "profitable" 😁😅, losing 35ish million ain't bad for an airline in a fleet acquistion year, plus economical turmoil south of the border and poor USD/CAD performance.

May'be it's time they rebrand or restructure, getting sucked into AC isn't it though hehe.

S.
I disagree. If an airline is losing money when most other airlines are making money that's a bad sign. AC and WJ are taking in profits. If AT can't turn a profit in relative good times what makes you think they can when times get really tough?
[/quote]

Uncle, uncle. It was an emotional justification, same with Canadian. Both are airlines that are (were) bleeding out financially. I love the brand but if I were a shareholder I'd be arguing same as you.

It's too bad, I haven't looked at the interior of their problems to know exactly where the bleeding is. I know they've done a lot of hiring in the last few years due to attrition to Air Canada, but I don't imagine that's at all a big factor. The reports indicate improvement in many areas but that they are still turning a loss. What's going on?

Counterpoint
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Counterpoint »

If I were an Air Transat Pilot, I would ask an Air Canada Pilot what a COURSE RIGHT is and, try and guess how many and what kind of them would be provided in the event of a merged Pilot list.

Where you fit in the list is only one part of pay progression at Air Canada.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I have been wondering about that Counterpoint. Captains coming in could easily be limited to 2 bids in the time they gave left at AC. A very weird situation for a group used to switching types at the drop of a hat.

Counterpoint
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Counterpoint »

This merge, if it goes through, should be based on giving AT Pilots their CR first.

Once given, the progression part is solved. If you are a NB captain only at AT, you get a WC and a UR. If a AT Captain is a a guys that holds A330 and A320/737 then you give him a WC a NB and a UR. Same goes for the First O’s, only to both seats.

With that solved, the only thing left is the ratio contest. And it will be a ratio contest, because any arbiteur, will have read all the other merges and go with a very common practice.

Boooom.....you’re done.

BE02 Driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BE02 Driver »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:18 am

Profitable?

S.
Uncle, uncle. It was an emotional justification, same with Canadian. Both are airlines that are (were) bleeding out financially. I love the brand but if I were a shareholder I'd be arguing same as you.

It's too bad, I haven't looked at the interior of their problems to know exactly where the bleeding is. I know they've done a lot of hiring in the last few years due to attrition to Air Canada, but I don't imagine that's at all a big factor. The reports indicate improvement in many areas but that they are still turning a loss. What's going on?
[/quote]

I'm not sure to tell you the truth. Their loosing money in relatively good economic times is enough for me to not bother with looking into them. Maybe I'm missing a diamond in the rough. Maybe not. There is enough good companies to invest in that I don't bother looking at the ones bleeding out. Expansion could be the reason. But by that metric WJ has expanded huge over they last 5 years, but has remained profitable. I just dunno.

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

BE02 Driver wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:43 am
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:18 am

S.

I'm not sure to tell you the truth. Their loosing money in relatively good economic times is enough for me to not bother with looking into them. Maybe I'm missing a diamond in the rough. Maybe not. There is enough good companies to invest in that I don't bother looking at the ones bleeding out. Expansion could be the reason. But by that metric WJ has expanded huge over they last 5 years, but has remained profitable. I just dunno.
[/quote]

Selling seats at below cost , is the reason , for the continued losses. Flying ancient A 310's is not a money making proposition.

Habslover
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Habslover »

Hi o, hi o, it’s off to fly 777 I go!!

Great news dis morning my friend, the acquisition has ‘append!
We will all be flying de mighty 777 soon! Our Unions are ‘ard at de work, making us winners in de coming years....while I will miss dis beautiful tree turdy, it is times I take de control of the Boeing. Like they say, “if it is a Boeing, I’ll skip over AC pilot on the list and get going!” I kid, I kid. After all it’s not skipping , it’s my company eh!

C’est la vie my friend....I’m off for a nice stroll on the South of France as I contemplate the years ahead, I had planned to retire at 60, but I’m afraid that is put off for now....making over 300 thousand dollars a year is much to nice to give up....afraid it’ll be 65 for me....who knows maybe 67!!

Duke Point
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Point »

Habslover wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:52 am Hi o, hi o, it’s off to fly 777 I go!!

We will all be flying de mighty 777 soon! Our Unions are ‘ard at de work, making us winners in de coming years....while I will miss dis beautiful tree turdy, it is times I take de control of the Boeing. Like they say, “if it is a Boeing, I’ll skip over AC pilot on the list and get going!” I kid, I kid. After all it’s not skipping , it’s my company eh!

C’est la vie my friend....I’m off for a nice stroll on the South of France as I contemplate the years ahead, I had planned to retire at 60, but I’m afraid that is put off for now....making over 300 thousand dollars a year is much to nice to give up....afraid it’ll be 65 for me....who knows maybe 67!!
Wow...that's really offensive. You should be banned from the forum.

DP.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Habslover has made a total of 6 posts. All of which are designed to get under the skin of AC pilots. Ignore him.

Im sure he is going to be a pleasure to work with. We have asshats too.

TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

When rouge was created in 2010-2011 pay tables for the 767 were cut and pasted from Transat and the A319’s from WestJet. Air Canada was loosing money and market share. In the past 8-9 year both pilot groups have made small improvements in their contracts.

I know this is the internet, but for a second, look at the potential upside this merger presents to the combined pilot group. Air Canada is profitable and merging with the largest trans-Atlantic operator in the country, this removes a lot of downward pressure on pay.

As Fanblade has mentioned, the merger opens up the ACPA collective agreement. We can all agree that the 10 year agreement was negotiated too early and locked in the ACPA group before wages took off in the US market and globally. Everything is back on the table.

The obvious concerns for pilots are seniority integration (which has and will continue to be beaten to death) and fleet size reductions. In 2014 Air Canada sold the pilot group on fleet growth and career progression, then did the same with the Jazz pilot group (twice), I imagine they will go back to that well.

TCAS II
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TCAS II »

The plan is to maintain the two companies as separate entities, maintaining the two different brands, head offices and key functions in Montreal, the companies said in a release.

"This combination delivers excellent value, while also providing increased job security for both companies' employees through greater growth prospects," Air Canada CEO Calin Rovinescu said.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Air Canada has stated it intends to run Transat as it's own brand.
I predict there will NOT be a merger of the pilot groups.

There's no way AC would just voluntarily increase the salaries of TS pilots, since at the end of the day, their wages and benefits are lower by a little bit.

They would be over the moon to be able to keep 600 pilots at their current rate. Remember, AC has and will do absolutely anything possible to keep pilot wages depressed. Being at the top of the food chain (Amazingly) they are ostensibly responsible for the increasing pilot shortage in this country.

I predict maintaining current pay, but add AC benefits, and perks such as travel (Though probably at C4 lol) and operational improvements in the way of AC's booking and flight planning, etc.

Also, I would bet that AC would promote allowing a regular interview for TS pilots, and if successful would of course start at 4 year flat pay, which nobody would be able to acccept except for guys in maybe the first year or two. So that would be a red herring.

The other way it could go would be to make a parallel with Rouge, but the CBA would have to be opened and renegotiated, since it would double the LCC numbers.

Either way, I'm pretty sure none of you AC guys who were so uproarious about losing a few precious seniority numbers will have to worry about a thing.

Hoping it will all be positive, but any of these changes will be a year or two down the road at least, so anything now is just spitballing. At least TS now has security for the foreseeable future!

Cheers

Last edited by DanWEC on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

ACPA is not going to allow a seperate pilot group to operate on behalf of AC. Allowing that is the beggning of the end. No major airline in North America allows it.

The contract prevents it.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

. Oops fat thumbs.

Last edited by DanWEC on Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

Even with scope language preventing them to grow?

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

JoeyBarton wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:33 pm Even with scope language preventing them to grow?
Opening that door is a very very bad idea. The two groups will just get played against each other.

Air Canada will still need to abide by the current Scope language which means that whatever form Transat/Rouge takes, it can't be much larger than Rouge's current size. We want the B scale reduced. Not expanded.

One positive, if you think like me, is we will need a certification vote. Hopefully bye bye ACPA

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Duke Point wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:28 am
Habslover wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:52 am Hi o, hi o, it’s off to fly 777 I go!!

Wow...that's really offensive. You should be banned from the forum.

DP.
Actually, it made me smile. Every single issue in Canadian aviation rolled up into one post. If you can't laugh at yourself.....

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Fanblade wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:19 pmOne positive, if you think like me, is we will need a certification vote. Hopefully bye bye ACPA
Are you crazy? Shut down your representation the day you need it the most? The AT MEC at that moment would take over the whole group... No matter how disfunctional ACPA may be, that's ridiculous. Put the acquisition to bed first, then revisit ALPA.

Return to “Air Transat”