AC and TRZ Agree to Terminate Arrangement

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

aerodude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Increased Purchase Price to $18 per Share

Post by aerodude »

FL320 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:13 am
That’s a lot of words to not really say much at all too..except ME,MYSELF and I.
I don't work for AC or TRZ, i always thought the deal was going through as it would have been good consolidation. Recently reassessing the business, there will be no market for that many aircraft for next few years. The unfortunate problem at TRZ is all aircraft are leased, not owned. Its simply an extra liability, not even an asset.

There is no charity, endgame for most airline is CASH=KING. The business may still get acquired at a much reduced price but i doubt it. You shouldn't take it personally if AC doesn't end up buying TRZ, it's just business.
---------- ADS -----------

FL-510
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FL-510 »

C-nile wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:27 pm This is a very real cutaway of the pilot profession on this forum. All facets are are apprehensive of the unknown. All pilots can attest that the unknown bothers them to no end. Everything must be known planned and executed with careful professional deliberation. Everyone from FL280 to Fl320 and if there is a FL410 or Just 17000ft, are only placing the best interest of those and their peers first. It is logical and fundamentally human.
Heck, there is even a 510 here. Anyways, back to lurking at you guys fighting it out.

timeflies
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by timeflies »

Sharklasers wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:09 am
GATRKGA wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:46 am Guys,

Why do we become competitors as pilots? Just cause we wear a different colored hat or uniform?

I am actually curious where this notion comes from that pilots are competing against one and another. When in actuality, we are all the cut of the same cloth, doing what we love, trying to provide for a good life/family. Where does the need to cut down/berate the other come in?

Is it that we get too attached to the identity of our company? Is it the dog shit we had to eat to get to where we are?

What if we recognized our profession as a professional body, and gave the employers the privilege of hiring us? Why is such a thing so difficult for us to achieve? Simply because being a 777 captain is better than a King Air Captain? So it comes down to the size of our plane and the sense of importance that it brings cause of the responsibility per seat?

I don't know about you. But descending on an airway, hopefully, to break out visual, and then canceling IFR to navigate via a VNC chart to a mud strip seems like as responsible of a job to carry out properly, as making sure you're not causing 300 different TCAS RA's when cutting across the tracks cause of a medical. Why is one deemed more important than the other?

I think a lot of the opinions and "You ate my sandwich" mentality that exists among us pilots would vanish if we didn't see our brothers as a bug that must be squashed, immediately.

FL280, I hope your response is genuine, and not cause your name and employee number has been identified. I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, depending on how you proceed. Your semblance of an apology is accepted, and I hope you learned a thing or two. Welcome to the "big" leagues, or what ever 8) .

Thanks all.

That’s a lot of words to not really say much at all. Your looking at this through the wrong lens. It’s about money, not about fuzzy self worth.
Let’s talk some numbers,
Last year I made $225000 without per diems and not working ‘hard’. Corona will take my seat of that I’m nearly certain. If I’m lucky I can hold WB FO and maybe make $120000 on these reduced blocks. How long will the recovery take who knows? Will I get my seat back faster if 400-500 Transat pilots get injected in front of me? Certainly not. I wish you no ill will. I don’t think I’m more important than you or anyone else. But if I have to choose between your family and mine I pick mine. Every time. Everything else about 777s and airways and medical are drivel.
very well said ;this guy FL320 needs to humble up a little. You came in the wrong way telling AC pilots that you will be glad to have them as your FO. or to make you a coffee. you're actually the one who needs our pity right now, stop beeing an ass on forums. you're making TS pilots look bad.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Understood. Time to move on. (i don’t need your pity, I can afford to successfully live without this job).

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

timeflies wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:13 pm

Why do we become competitors as pilots? Just cause we wear a different colored hat or uniform?

I am actually curious where this notion comes from that pilots are competing against one and another. When in actuality, we are all the cut of the same cloth, doing what we love, trying to provide for a good life/family. Where does the need to cut down/berate the other come in?

Is it that we get too attached to the identity of our company? Is it the dog shit we had to eat to get to where we are?

What if we recognized our profession as a professional body, and gave the employers the privilege of hiring us? Why is such a thing so difficult for us to achieve? Simply because being a 777 captain is better than a King Air Captain? So it comes down to the size of our plane and the sense of importance that it brings cause of the responsibility per seat?

I don't know about you. But descending on an airway, hopefully, to break out visual, and then canceling IFR to navigate via a VNC chart to a mud strip seems like as responsible of a job to carry out properly, as making sure you're not causing 300 different TCAS RA's when cutting across the tracks cause of a medical. Why is one deemed more important than the other?

I think a lot of the opinions and "You ate my sandwich" mentality that exists among us pilots would vanish if we didn't see our brothers as a bug that must be squashed, immediately.

FL280, I hope your response is genuine, and not cause your name and employee number has been identified. I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, depending on how you proceed. Your semblance of an apology is accepted, and I hope you learned a thing or two. Welcome to the "big" leagues, or what ever 8) .

Thanks all.

That’s a lot of words to not really say much at all. Your looking at this through the wrong lens. It’s about money, not about fuzzy self worth.
Let’s talk some numbers,
Last year I made $225000 without per diems and not working ‘hard’. Corona will take my seat of that I’m nearly certain. If I’m lucky I can hold WB FO and maybe make $120000 on these reduced blocks. How long will the recovery take who knows? Will I get my seat back faster if 400-500 Transat pilots get injected in front of me? Certainly not. I wish you no ill will. I don’t think I’m more important than you or anyone else. But if I have to choose between your family and mine I pick mine. Every time. Everything else about 777s and airways and medical are drivel.
very well said ;this guy FL320 needs to humble up a little. You came in the wrong way telling AC pilots that you will be glad to have them as your FO. or to make you a coffee. you're actually the one who needs our pity right now, stop beeing an ass on forums. you're making TS pilots look bad.
Visiting 2 days later and still the same.

Ok. FL320 has to humble up? The guy who a few pages ago said he would voluntarily give up his left seat in order to satiate merger issues?
Also, his responses you mention were purely in retaliation to this 280 guy who goaded him with what he admitted is just a troll/aggressor account made just to get his jollies off.
This thread is hard to read and follow, so I'll give you a pass there, but c'mon.

Sharklasers, I DO believe we're all brothers as pilots, but that's my perspective. I've opened my home up to unknown guys who simply share a common vocation, and I've been brought into others as a stranger for the same reason.

Since this glacial conversation is far being productive, I'll say something inflammatory and say I have seen a real trend develop. The AC guys who are commenting here are being more individualistic and protectionist, while the TS guys are fiercely defending their company and lifestyle.
I don't mean this as a dig in the slightest against any AC guys here, just observing how much a work environment can affect your life and opinions.

This is because we've cultivated a fantastic company culture, we're known for it. You know it. We know it. We generally love our jobs, and like-minded folk are attracted here.
I'm an FO at Transat. I was at a red express carrier before and left without even an application to mainline. The reasons of who I wanted to be, my priority of work/life, and my level of happiness can be compared by looking at the representative personalities on both sides here.

I have never looked forward to going to work in my life before. After having 10 or 15 days off and knowing I get to fly to Nice and spend 2 days on the beach, I actually look forward to clocking in.

I'm not trying to be combative, what I'm saying is that there is more to life than being a number and some seniority slot, you can get lost in that.

I know it's just a few AC guys that are commenting here, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that if the merger goes through, you'll have a bunch of really good, happy, and easy-going guys as colleagues. We're glad to have the long term gain, but we're worried we're going to just become numbers. Maybe that's the price to pay for security, which comes with scale.

Peace. Really. I doubt you'll lose any numbers. I get the worry, but we'll be second fiddle and we'll be laid off for longer than mainline as the replacement LCC will be if we're under the umbrella.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

Whatever floats your boat big guy.

AC pilots are acting protectionist because there is something to protect.
We as AC pilots stand to gain nothing from this merger and have alot at risk. As much as you want to sing kumbaya here once your negots sits down across from ours with an arbitrator they will shoot for a percentage based merger which will pair your 2008 hires with our 1996 hires.
They will do that because that is their jobs, represent the transat pilots as best as they can.

I do not care about your culture.

95% of the guys I work with love their jobs too. We dont need you to come onto our list ahead of us to teach us how to love again.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

:)

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

DanWEC wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:08 pm Visiting 2 days later and still the same.

Ok. FL320 has to humble up? The guy who a few pages ago said he would voluntarily give up his left seat in order to satiate merger issues?
Also, his responses you mention were purely in retaliation to this 280 guy who goaded him with what he admitted is just a troll/aggressor account made just to get his jollies off.
This thread is hard to read and follow, so I'll give you a pass there, but c'mon.

Sharklasers, I DO believe we're all brothers as pilots, but that's my perspective. I've opened my home up to unknown guys who simply share a common vocation, and I've been brought into others as a stranger for the same reason.

Since this glacial conversation is far being productive, I'll say something inflammatory and say I have seen a real trend develop. The AC guys who are commenting here are being more individualistic and protectionist, while the TS guys are fiercely defending their company and lifestyle.
I don't mean this as a dig in the slightest against any AC guys here, just observing how much a work environment can affect your life and opinions.

This is because we've cultivated a fantastic company culture, we're known for it. You know it. We know it. We generally love our jobs, and like-minded folk are attracted here.
I'm an FO at Transat. I was at a red express carrier before and left without even an application to mainline. The reasons of who I wanted to be, my priority of work/life, and my level of happiness can be compared by looking at the representative personalities on both sides here.

I have never looked forward to going to work in my life before. After having 10 or 15 days off and knowing I get to fly to Nice and spend 2 days on the beach, I actually look forward to clocking in.

I'm not trying to be combative, what I'm saying is that there is more to life than being a number and some seniority slot, you can get lost in that.

I know it's just a few AC guys that are commenting here, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that if the merger goes through, you'll have a bunch of really good, happy, and easy-going guys as colleagues. We're glad to have the long term gain, but we're worried we're going to just become numbers. Maybe that's the price to pay for security, which comes with scale.

Peace. Really. I doubt you'll lose any numbers. I get the worry, but we'll be second fiddle and we'll be laid off for longer than mainline as the replacement LCC will be if we're under the umbrella.
How long are you at Transat for Dan?

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

altiplano wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:32 pm How long are you at Transat for Dan?
Not that long man. Wish I had a few more years in. Being near the bottom of any seniority list is a bad place to be right now.

160tonoaha
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 160tonoaha »

Thanks all.

Let’s talk some numbers,
Boy I feel sorry for you shark. From these posts, you’re the kind of guy to vote in a b scale rouge because you’ll make more money. Even if it screws over the overall collective agreement.

Gatrkga said more in one post than you’ve fluted in an entire thread.

These transat guys will be an excellent addition to our list and they will probably help give us a perspective that we lack greatly.

If it’s all about money for you, I sincerely hope you learn a few skills to supplement your income. For flying in Canada isn’t the bank heist you’re pitching here - not even on our property at AC.

The max income is 300k per year with a 160-170 net income after 20 years. That’s not a lot of money anymore.

Fl280 saves his dignity, somewhat. Shark, every post from you is making us look like ass holes. It is disappointing to see, really.

FL320, can you clarify if you think you’re entitled to a spot somewhere specific? Danwec? Tftmb heavy? What are you guys hoping for. What’s the chats in the fdeck been like before all of this? It seems to me most transat guys are just happy to get something fair.

tdp19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tdp19 »

160tonoaha wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 9:26 pm

Thanks all.

Let’s talk some numbers,
Boy I feel sorry for you shark. From these posts, you’re the kind of guy to vote in a b scale rouge because you’ll make more money. Even if it screws over the overall collective agreement.

These transat guys will be an excellent addition to our list and they will probably help give us a perspective that we lack greatly.

If it’s all about money for you, I sincerely hope you learn a few skills to supplement your income. For flying in Canada isn’t the bank heist you’re pitching here - not even on our property at AC.

The max income is 300k per year with a 160-170 net income after 20 years. That’s not a lot of money anymore.

Fl280 saves his dignity, somewhat. Shark, every post from you is making us look like ass holes. It is disappointing to see, really.

FL320, can you clarify if you think you’re entitled to a spot somewhere specific? Danwec? Tftmb heavy? What are you guys hoping for. What’s the chats in the fdeck been like before all of this? It seems to me most transat guys are just happy to get something fair.
I am curious as to you what your seniority is? The more senior you are the less you worry.... Especially in post covid times. Although sharklasers was harsh, i completely agree.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

The pie is always too small. Mr GAT is right on. How people look at themselves and others is entirely up to them. There may be reasons for feeling the way we do, but ultimately we control our outlook. People have always been worried about their jobs in this field (if they have one), but being worried is a choice.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

tdp19 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:04 am

Let’s talk some numbers,

I am curious as to you what your seniority is? The more senior you are the less you worry.... Especially in post covid times. Although sharklasers was harsh, i completely agree.
I don't think tonah works at AC. Just pretender with a hate on.

160tonoaha
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 160tonoaha »

altiplano wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:37 am

Altiplano, you're incorrect again. I was at some pretty successful world brands before coming home to AC. I am a fairly recent new hire. For what it's worth, I was lucky enough to have offers from both transat and ac around the same time. I elected to go with AC. 2019 hire. I was PFO'd years ago from AC and decided to make a go of it as an ex-pat. Made my money and came home. In hindsight, I should've probably taken the PFO from AC years ago as a hint that I'm not a good fit. The wife and I are talking about leaving as soon as the dust settles again. You know what one of many contributing factors are? Experiencing the attitudes of people like altiplano on a regular basis. Not just at AC, but in Canada as a whole. There exists a very hypocritical, victimized, defensive, passive-aggressive attitude here. Probably cause the population keeps getting screwed over, and have no proper outlet to show their anger. Guess it makes sense that AC pilots would be representing the same when flying the flag since it's becoming the country's identity more and more. It definitely isn't like this with everyone. And some AC guys are phenomenal too. But seriously, a lot of ass holes in the mix as well. My only piece of advice for transat guys, don't let this shit culture change what you guys are bringing. Hopefully, I get the chance to experience it, but I think we probably won't cross paths. Working among colleagues like altiplano, shark, etc, makes one feel like a homeless man standing in line, grasping at straws for the last cup of soup. These types of people are definitely not leaders by example. And they make atrocious people to fly with. All they talk about are contracts, money, pension, transat, and how they didn't get their schedule the way they bid it. I'll leave you with this, I was at one of the M3 before coming home, and although we worked like dogs, there didn't exist this level of ignorance among us. Our brand and world recognition were better as well. Unlike AC, we actually had a reason to be proud of our jobs. Call me a hater all you want, but I bring perspective from working at some classy outfits. And as I've found very quickly, AC definitely isn't one of them. Sorry altiplano for exposing both of our horrible choices in careers :wink: At least I have an out, do you? It's starting to make sense why guys like you you're so defensive :goodman:

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

160tonoaha wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:02 am
tdp19 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 5:04 am I am curious as to you what your seniority is? The more senior you are the less you worry.... Especially in post covid times. Although sharklasers was harsh, i completely agree.
Altiplano, you're incorrect again. I was at some pretty successful world brands before coming home to AC. I am a fairly recent new hire. For what it's worth, I was lucky enough to have offers from both transat and ac around the same time. I elected to go with AC. 2019 hire. I was PFO'd years ago from AC and decided to make a go of it as an ex-pat. Made my money and came home. In hindsight, I should've probably taken the PFO from AC years ago as a hint that I'm not a good fit. The wife and I are talking about leaving as soon as the dust settles again. You know what one of many contributing factors are? Experiencing the attitudes of people like altiplano on a regular basis. Not just at AC, but in Canada as a whole. There exists a very hypocritical, victimized, defensive, passive-aggressive attitude here. Probably cause the population keeps getting screwed over, and have no proper outlet to show their anger. Guess it makes sense that AC pilots would be representing the same when flying the flag since it's becoming the country's identity more and more. It definitely isn't like this with everyone. And some AC guys are phenomenal too. But seriously, a lot of ass holes in the mix as well. My only piece of advice for transat guys, don't let this shit culture change what you guys are bringing. Hopefully, I get the chance to experience it, but I think we probably won't cross paths. Working among colleagues like altiplano, shark, etc, makes one feel like a homeless man standing in line, grasping at straws for the last cup of soup. These types of people are definitely not leaders by example. And they make atrocious people to fly with. All they talk about are contracts, money, pension, transat, and how they didn't get their schedule the way they bid it. I'll leave you with this, I was at one of the M3 before coming home, and although we worked like dogs, there didn't exist this level of ignorance among us. Our brand and world recognition were better as well. Unlike AC, we actually had a reason to be proud of our jobs. Call me a hater all you want, but I bring perspective from working at some classy outfits. And as I've found very quickly, AC definitely isn't one of them. Sorry altiplano for exposing both of our horrible choices in careers :wink: At least I have an out, do you? It's starting to make sense why guys like you you're so defensive :goodman:
The resentment for your colleagues is clear then, and your opinion of the airline is based on a very narrow, limited view... less than a year?!

It's still hating, insult after insult is what threads through all your posts... I can hardly pick them all out from your run-on drivel.

You continue to mischaracterize my posts, commenting about the market conditions and the merger have never been an attack on Transat pilots, unlike you who attacks and resentment are all that's on offer.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

As a new hire who plans to leave and has a pretty serious chip on his shoulder maybe your prospective is different from the junior to mid pack AC pilot who still has to raise a family and provide once all of this is done.
I hope your able to leave as soon as possible it seems like you are very unhappy here, unlike 95% of the guys I work with.
Also did you previously work for Transat?

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

Don't fool yourself, although the AC pilots on this thread might be harsh, yes it does reflect 90% of the feelings of the pilot group towards this acquisition. It's just numbers, there is no incentive for the ac pilots to be happy to acquire Transat. Plain and simple. Nothing against Transat pilots we all have great friends over there. And if it goes through of course we will work as one family, we're not idiots.
But still, for now, none of us want to merge. Again, just numbers.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

160tonoaha wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:02 am

Great to hear your experience. 3 close friends left AC and Canada for the same reason; they say it’s been the best decision ever. I have a feeling I will come to the same conclusion too.

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

Last edited by tailgunner on Sun May 03, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

Nah I am pretty sure he does work for us. I think he was in a may class. If he is who I think he is then he isn’t the treat to fly with that he makes himself out to be.

Return to “Air Transat”