AC and TRZ Agree to Terminate Arrangement

Discuss topics related to Air Transat.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Cappo1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Air Canada and Transat announce Updated Purchase Price at $5 per share

Post by Cappo1 »

Did any AC pilots get the Coles notes with what Calin said . I have them but I'm not posting the screen shot.

I'll start by saying it was very specific its not the same as Canadian and AC merging because an acquisition is a takeover. Arirelle said "it's an ACQUISITION."

He outlined

Quote 1. " time frame can take at LEAST 3 years due to the reduction of ASM over the Atlantic and CV19"

"We will both be smaller "

I am pleased to read that clarification was set regarding structure of employees. No TS pilots altering our seniority lists or taking over our jobs.

Quote 2. " Transat has to take a workforce downsize AT LEAST ( as it was written in all caps) to ours" . And there will be " no more AC layoffs"

I think its clarified no one from TS will be knocking us out of our jobs and off the seniority list and vice versa. I am comparing it to real estate . I buy my house and it does not include the previous tenants.

When TS does downsize, it appears they will be kept separate and that's a good thing for both airlines. They can grow on their own accord and our pilots will retain their status.
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Cappo1 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:09 pm Did any AC pilots get the Coles notes with what Calin said . I have them but I'm not posting the screen shot.

I'll start by saying it was very specific its not the same as Canadian and AC merging because an acquisition is a takeover. Arirelle said "it's an ACQUISITION."

He outlined

Quote 1. " time frame can take at LEAST 3 years due to the reduction of ASM over the Atlantic and CV19"

I am pleased to read that clarification was set regarding structure of employees. No TS pilots altering our seniority lists or taking over our jobs.

Quote 2. " Transat has to take a workforce downsize AT LEAST ( as it was written in all caps) to ours" . And there will be " no more AC layoffs"

I think its clarified no one from TS will be knocking us out of our jobs and off the seniority list and vice versa. I am comparing it to real estate . I buy my house and it does not include the previous tenants.

When TS does downsize, it appears they will be kept separate and that's a good thing for both airlines. They can grow on their own accord and our pilots will retain their status.
Except the ACPA contract says 1 list. Perhaps ACPA will waive that? Unlikely.

And, if separate, who flies YYZ-CUN? Or YUL-CDG? These are all overlapped routes. And as you said, everything is downsizing.

I have never seen a pilot group with a meaningful scope clause that would say that it is ok to acquire another carrier and operate it separately based on trust. There is way more substance to Article 1 than that.

I think that once the parties (meaning ACPA and AC) exhaust discussions regarding the ‘acquisition’ that TS will be the new Rouge/LCC. And there will be just one list and one contract.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

Cappo1 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:09 pm Did any AC pilots get the Coles notes with what Calin said . I have them but I'm not posting the screen shot.

He outlined

In regards to Quote 2: TS workforce is considerably reduced compared to AC.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

TFTMB heavy wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:48 pm

He outlined

In regards to Quote 2: TS workforce is considerably reduced compared to AC.
Lol that’s what I thought too. Pretty good news Cappo1, AT can call back more people (even better if it’s written in caps!) :lol:
Can you send the screenshot so our strong union can negotiate with the company?

milhouse
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by milhouse »

He outlined

How could you possibly think this is good for the AC pilot group? You want to compete for flying with an airline that is cheaper to operate? Wonder where the growth will happen...

The scope clause is there for a reason.

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

We should or the arbitrator should figure out exactly how many tails Transat is bringing over. Mike Rousseau clearly said, some trimmimg of the Transat fleet will be required. We can expect the 310s and the 737s are game over.
Figure out how many pilots are required to operate that exact amount of metal at 2019 levels to account for future work. Every pilot junior to that should go bottom of the list at AC, it's only fair.

The pilot group can't be permanently restructured, both the AC and TS CBA won't allow that. Just came out in the media today, TS will have to reduce it's amount of employees before going under the AC umbrella. AC has two main interests in this acquisition, eliminating a competitor for pennies on the dollar and the fleet.

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

FL-280 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:15 pm We should or the arbitrator should figure out exactly how many tails Transat is bringing over. Mike Rousseau clearly said, some trimmimg of the Transat fleet will be required. We can expect the 310s and the 737s are game over.
Figure out how many pilots are required to operate that exact amount of metal at 2019 levels to account for future work. Every pilot junior to that should go bottom of the list at AC, it's only fair.

The pilot group can't be permanently restructured, both the AC and TS CBA won't allow that. Just came out in the media today, TS will have to reduce it's amount of employees before going under the AC umbrella. AC has two main interests in this acquisition, eliminating a competitor for pennies on the dollar and the fleet.
The fleet is all but worthless because it is leased . The value are the landing slots. Transat , left on it's own , would be a very weak and shrinking competitor.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

FL-280 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:15 pm We should or the arbitrator should figure out exactly how many tails Transat is bringing over. Mike Rousseau clearly said, some trimmimg of the Transat fleet will be required. We can expect the 310s and the 737s are game over.

310s were retired earlier this year and active 737 pilots are all on 320 initials.

TS group has 5000 employees, many are laid off. Air Transat staff is down to crumbs, it would be interesting to see the stats on layoffs per department in both companies.

columbia
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by columbia »

Enough with your fantasies. When Canadian merged with AC, a couple of 737 and 14 of Canadian's DC-10s were retired by AC. Yet nobody was put bottom of the list.

Last edited by columbia on Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Fleet requested: 12 A330/15 A321LR

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

https://montrealgazette.com/business/lo ... or-transat

Péladeau says he’s 'absolutely' still weighing bid for Transat

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Cappo1 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:09 pm
I watched the townhall and did not interpret the comments the way you did.

Air Canada bought Canadian Airlines for 90 million if memory serves me correctly. Air Canada acquired Canadian in a weak state just like Air Canada is acquiring air Transat in a weak state. They are similar.

Highly unlikely ACPA would agree to let Transat pilots operate on behalf of Air Canada without being on the ACPA seniority list. That is the cornerstone of job protection.

As Rudder stated. The likely end result is two operating brands. Two operating OC’s. One list. Fences limiting movement between the two maybe erected for a time. But they are always temporary

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

FL320 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:45 pm Fleet requested: 12 A330/15 A321LR
Which 8 330’s will TS be getting rid of? -200’s? - 300’s?

Are any 330 leases expiring in 2021?

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

27 Tails X 9 full crews per tail is 486 pilots. Transat is bringing work for 486 pilots but is showing up on the property with 650-680... Tell me how those 200 pilots that are extra shouldn't go BOTL? Tell me how that is fantasy? This isn't an extreme propisition, it's only fair to both parties.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

FL-280 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:17 am 27 Tails X 9 full crews per tail is 486 pilots. Transat is bringing work for 486 pilots but is showing up on the property with 650-680... Tell me how those 200 pilots that are extra shouldn't go BOTL? Tell me how that is fantasy? This isn't an extreme propisition, it's only fair to both parties.
The new duty regs will require more than 486 pilots, reserve will eat up a lot of crews as voluntary overtime will be almost impossible. How many crews is AC operating per tail? There are many inactive pilots in administrative roles and some on disability BTW. I expect the TS fleet will recover much quicker than the AC fleet given the leisure market will take off before business travel.

Monkey_in_a_suit
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Monkey_in_a_suit »

With any luck ACPA and ALPA negotiate a whiny bitch clause that will put FL280 at BOTL

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

Monkey_in_a_suit wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:37 am With any luck ACPA and ALPA negotiate a whiny bitch clause that will put FL280 at BOTL
Now that's something we can all get behind I'm sure. What an entitled piece of shit he's turned since leaving Express. FL280, Your UTOPIA may sound nice and fit in with your entitled views, but everyone will slot in where they are intended to be slotted in.

Let's not start the argument that every, and I mean EVERY TS FO comes over on a pay scale that beats AC out of the water for the first 5 years. If we just assume pay, no way anyone will be going BOTL. Did you see the last agreement they all voted in favour of? They already were paid more than AC FO's, and they already got a raise on top of that. So that means essentially anyone coming in between 400-650 from TS, should by definition of pay scales, slide ahead every person currently holding a number above 3700.

You're starting to see more and more AC pilot's getting behind merging the lists and getting this over with. It's greedy and "mommy told me life is fair" perspective like yours, that @#$! things up for the rest. The COLLECTIVE interest is a merged list, and getting on with our lives. You don't want Leisure rebounding, and you watching TS undercut you so that you NEVER have a job to come to. Right? Pick your battles. Buddy, you won't feel a thing when you look back at this. It's not like 4000 other pilot's are merging in. There are 650 coming, and fatigue rules will make everyone required.

Chill out.

Johnny767
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Johnny767 »

Monkey_in_a_suit wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:37 am With any luck ACPA and ALPA negotiate a whiny bitch clause that will put FL280 at BOTL
Thanks for the laugh! You boys should have seen the graffiti written all over the walls in the flight planning room in YUL during the last merger. Written by a bunch of 5 year olds!

The C-Suite just shakes their heads, thinking we pay these clowns how much?

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

I don't consider myself as an entitled piece of shit... we are all just trying to protect or hold on to our careers and career choices. Reading through the old and new ac pilot forums, I would say the proposition or "my crack" at what a merged list would look like is not that bad! A lot of ac pilots think the same way I do, and even some are more extreme.

I understand many pilots have a good amount of years in at TS. I do believe they should be treated fairly. I also believe the bottom 180-200 at TS getting tapped to the bottom is fair. We both have this in comon, we have vetted interest in this happening or not happening. It looks to me the junior TS pilots want the merge to happen but don't want to give up anything for it! What is 3-5 years seniority to be on the flag carrier's list and not have to go through a major time of instability the way you have again? Ask any pilot that was a Canadian Airlines pilot, sure 2-7 years hit on the seniority front sucks but their career was much better afterwards.

I believe this merger could be good, I focus on COULD. After townhall, I think it will create a powerhouse in the leisure and Atlantic market. But at the end of the day, I don't want any junior TS pilot furthering their career at my or any other AC pilots expense.

I look forward for this to be over, we will then be able to focus on doing what we love.

If you want to talk about pay, let's talk about career earnings over a 30 year career. This would account for all levels of seniority and pay steps. AC would win this comparison by 1-2 million $. Again, I ask: What is a certain seniority hit for 1-2 million $ ?

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

FL-280 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:03 am I don't consider myself as an entitled piece of shit... we are all just trying to protect or hold on to our careers and career choices. Reading through the old and new ac pilot forums, I would say the proposition or "my crack" at what a merged list would look like is not that bad! A lot of ac pilots think the same way I do, and even some are more extreme.

I understand many pilots have a good amount of years in at TS. I do believe they should be treated fairly. I also believe the bottom 180-200 at TS getting tapped to the bottom is fair. We both have this in comon, we have vetted interest in this happening or not happening. It looks to me the junior TS pilots want the merge to happen but don't want to give up anything for it! What is 3-5 years seniority to be on the flag carrier's list and not have to go through a major time of instability the way you have again? Ask any pilot that was a Canadian Airlines pilot, sure 2-7 years hit on the seniority front sucks but their career was much better afterwards.

I believe this merger could be good, I focus on COULD. After townhall, I think it will create a powerhouse in the leisure and Atlantic market. But at the end of the day, I don't want any junior TS pilot furthering their career at my or any other AC pilots expense.

I look forward for this to be over, we will then be able to focus on doing what we love.

If you want to talk about pay, let's talk about career earnings over a 30 year career. This would account for all levels of seniority and pay steps. AC would win this comparison by 1-2 million $. Again, I ask: What is a certain seniority hit for 1-2 million $ ?
You make some good points FL280, no doubt. But here's where I think you're wrong. You still speak about TS pilot's like they're some second class citizens that should count their lucky stars because Hail Mary saved them. Specifically, what's 3-5 years and not have to go through exactly what? As far as the writing is on the wall, AC pilot's just saved 6 months of furloughs. That's it. The paradox here will be if leisure travel springs back, and all those superior positions you speak of, actually are no longer required at AC to the extent they were. What would that mean for what you're going through right now?

At the end of the day, I don't think there are many TS pilot's that are asking for the moon. But it's a bit discouraging reading your sentiment that somehow a TS pilot is less than an AC pilot in the bottom, and for some reason, this warrants your utopic view of how the lists should be merged.

I repeat, since you're just talking about 200 pilot's here, every single one of those TS pilot's deserve to sit in front of you because they decided to choose a career that paid them up front. By that logic, you actually should sit behind them because they didn't scab themselves out for an eventuality (which you called 1-2 million) which is a medical away from being nothing more than a pipe dream.

Just because you decided to sell your soul to the devil and have to pay the price, doesn't mean others do. THIS is what I mean by your entitled viewpoint. It's as if the world is fair was what was taught in your household and this whole situation is triggering the shit out of you.

I really am not looking for a debate with you, because I get the impression working for AC has gone to your head. The reality is neither you, or anyone else knows the outcome. Regardless of how you feel, I promise you there will be a number of TS pilot's ahead of you who have paid more than their dues and are JUST like you, stuck in a collectively shitty situation, called the COVID 19 Pandemic.

The first place you need to start is stop looking at pilot's as branded competition, and start looking as pilot's as pilot's. Otherwise, you're the exact kind of person who will sell out the young to protect his 300k salary at AC, because you had to eat shit in the beginning, and so do the youngins coming in behind the ranks. I hate to say it, but this mindset is exactly what is a contributor to scab's all over the ranks, even if you were "lucky" or "skilled" enough to win the "lottery" to fly the flag.

Good luck dude.

Return to “Air Transat”