YEG Applications process

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

estrela20
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: YEG Applications process

Post by estrela20 »

Hey guys
So glad I found this forum. I just applied at NAV Can 2 days ago. Took the online assessment yesterday and received a green light. Does anyone know when there will be an in-person session? Also - does everyone actually finish all 30 questions in 8 min?
---------- ADS -----------

flyboy987
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyboy987 »

estrela20 wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:20 am Hey guys
So glad I found this forum. I just applied at NAV Can 2 days ago. Took the online assessment yesterday and received a green light. Does anyone know when there will be an in-person session? Also - does everyone actually finish all 30 questions in 8 min?
Well the last assessment was in July so you probably have around a three month wait. As for the assessment, if you weren’t able to finish those 30 questions im eight minutes you should really practice questions like that as there’s much more time pressure in the real assessment

estrela20
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by estrela20 »

Anyone waiting for the in-person assessment? Wondering when the next one will be.

randomresponse
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by randomresponse »

I was in the July assessment and just got a call today to book an in person interview. here is my timeline from online application until today.

FIR : YEG
Preference order: IFR, VFR, FSS

Online Application Date: April 30, 2018
Online application results: April 30, 2018 (Green Light)

In person assessment invitation date: June 7, 2018
In person assessment: July 10, 2018
In person assessment result: July 24, 2018 (Green Light)

Phone Interview invite: July 24, 2018
Phone Interview: August 6, 2018
Phone Results: August 8, 2018 (Green Light)

In person interview invite: September 19, 2018
In person Interview: November 2nd, 2018
In person Results: PENDING

Offer: PENDING
Training Date: PENDING

randomresponse
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by randomresponse »

Did anyone else from the July assessment at YEG (who also browses this forum) greenlight on the assessment/phone interview? I'm feeling kinda alone here...

flyboy987
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyboy987 »

Ya I made it through, got my interview scheduled for the first of November

randomresponse
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by randomresponse »

Well good luck with the interview! Do you know anyone else who made it through to this point?

When I was first got the call for the interview they organised to do it in Calgary (which would have been great for me) but I guess things changed and they moved back to Edmonton.

B.Yeg28
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by B.Yeg28 »

Hi All!

I just found this forum and so happy I did.
Here is my timeline:

Preference order - VFR, IFR, FSS
Online Application Date: June 1, 2018
In person assessment invitation date: June 30, 2018
In person assessment result: July 24, 2018
Phone Interview invite: July 30, 2018
Phone Interview: August 8, 2018
Phone Interview results : August 16, 2018
In person interview invite: September 20
In person Interview: Oct 12, 2018
In person results : PENDING

A few of you mentioned your in person interview is November 2nd and 3rd... I am wondering why it's so much later.
Also any advice on this in person interview, I haven't had an in person interview for four years! Getting more nervous the closer Friday gets.
Wish me luck

randomresponse
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by randomresponse »

Hey B.Yeg28, looks like we were in the same assessment.

I'm not sure about flyboy987, but for my original interview offer I was given a choice of Nov 2nd or 3rd in Calgary, I then recieved a call a few days later and they changed the location to YEG but with the same dates for the interview. My guess is they had two sets of interviews planned, an earlier one at YEG and a second at YYC, then they couldn't get enough Calgary applicants (or some other reason.. who knows) and kept the interview slots.

Of course this theory goes out the window if your from Southern Alberta...

Good luck with the interview, let us know how it goes!

B.Yeg28
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by B.Yeg28 »

So I had my interview this morning!

I can't say much about it since it is pretty confidential, but I can say it is a pretty intense process.
For those of you going for an interview in the next couple weeks be prepared to answer the questions in a S.T.A.R. format. (Situation, Action, Result).
The interview itself is only 45 minutes, but it is mentally draining and luckily I came prepared with an idea of situations and past experiences I wanted to touch on.
After the interview I was lucky enough to have the tour of the building! This was extremely cool and I hope you guys also get the opportunity!

They said the results should show up on my portal in two weeks.
I told them I would be willing to work in either the VFR or IFR... but more leaning towards the IFR to avoid the relocation...
Plus after seeing the area control center in person I was pretty much sold.

Training starts every Spring and Fall... and we should get training offers at least two months in advance.

Good Luck Flyboy and Randomresponse on your upcoming interviews!

glamsquanch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by glamsquanch »

Thanks B.Yeg for the interview update! Can I ask if it was similar situational questions to the phone interview?

I was at the July assessment and have my interview on Nov 1st. I was a little disappointed that it was moved to YEG as I'm Calgary based and the commute would've been so much easier

B.Yeg28
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by B.Yeg28 »

We were probably in the same assessment!

Yeah it was pretty similar to phone interview for sure. I find that by answering in the STAR format makes it much easier to get you point across and answer correctly.
As the website says, this interview is to rate you aptitude and fit as a trainee and ultimately a Nav Canada employee. They basically want to get to know who you are and if you will fit in well with the company. I found in-person was a bit more stressful then over the phone because all eyes are on you. Just go in, be yourself and you should be fine.

I was supposed to get my answer Oct 26th... and its still showing yellow!
Can't wait to find out, I keep pressing refresh every half hour :rolleyes:

B.Yeg28
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by B.Yeg28 »

Results are in!

Preference order - VFR, IFR, FSS
Online Application Date: June 1, 2018
In person assessment invitation date: June 30, 2018
In person assessment result: July 24, 2018
Phone Interview invite: July 30, 2018
Phone Interview: August 8, 2018
Phone Interview results : August 16, 2018
In person interview invite: September 20
In person Interview: Oct 12, 2018
In person results : Oct 30th, 2018
Streamed : IFR

Offer : Pending
Training Date : Pending

Let us know how your interviews go! Good Luck!

randomresponse
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by randomresponse »

Hey Yeg28,

Congrats on getting the green light. I did the in person interview yesterday and it was pretty much how you described, more intense because your watching them take notes as you speak.

I didn't get to tour the centre but that was ok as I already had a chance to sit down with an IFR controller back when I did the assessment in July.

Well good luck to everyone in the future and if I make it through maybe we'll meet on course.

estrela20
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by estrela20 »

Hey guys
For those of you going to in-person interviews now, is there going to be a next stage should you be successful?
I just received an email a couple of days ago from NAV inviting me to book a date for their FEAST testing. Anyone else?

randomresponse
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by randomresponse »

estrela20 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:30 pm Hey guys
For those of you going to in-person interviews now, is there going to be a next stage should you be successful?
I just received an email a couple of days ago from NAV inviting me to book a date for their FEAST testing. Anyone else?
The next step for the people who are successful after the in person interview is to go into the pool for upcoming training sessions. I'm not sure how the FEAST part works but I assume it has replaced the in person assessment that we did in July.

estrela20
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by estrela20 »

Apparently NAV started trying out FEAST for the first time with YYZ applicants. They had already done the in-person assessment (2017) as well as phone interview (2018) but were asked to go back and take FEAST. It is a replacement of online and in-person assessment as well as phone interview. Then if successful, there will be a bootcamp as final stage of the process.

B.Yeg28
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by B.Yeg28 »

Hey estrela, I haven't heard anything about the FEAST or boot camp, hopefully they don't make those who passed the interviews go back and do this....

Flyboy, glamsquanch and randomresponse, any chance you asked when the next course start date was, or what the next course was going to be (IFR, VFR, FSS) in your interview?
I'm not a very patient person :D but this process is definitely making me be one.

If you guys didn't ask I am thinking about calling or emailing next week to ask.

estrela20
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by estrela20 »

What I heard from a friend who works in Edmonton was that IFR class started this past October and VFR class starts now. Next ones will be in April/May she said.

B.Yeg28
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by B.Yeg28 »

Anyone else loose everything on their Take Charge page? and do you know what this means when that happens? Maybe just a glitch.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”