YYZ Fall 2018 Assessments

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: YYZ Fall 2018 Assessments

Post by kevenv »

BenjaminCook wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:35 am Jesus, 30 of 250? That's an 8.3% pass rate. These people are crazy.
30 of 250 is a 12% pass rate not 8.3.

Plus it is not a pass rate. 30 people didn't pass with 220 people failing. They took the top 30 scores. Big difference from 220 peopled failed.
---------- ADS -----------

BenjaminCook
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BenjaminCook »

kevenv wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:15 pm 30 of 250 is a 12% pass rate not 8.3.

Plus it is not a pass rate. 30 people didn't pass with 220 people failing. They took the top 30 scores. Big difference from 220 peopled failed.
First, I am ashamed that I miscalculated so significantly.

Second, it is a pass rate. They took the top 30, therefore Nav Canada only progressed 30 of 250 people. The pass rate is 12%. Regardless of whether or not those 220 people passed FEAST, they failed the assessment.

Anomander
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Anomander »

It is not a pass rate. You may not get selected for whatever the intake this period is but you can still get selected next round assuming you passed FEAST.

Let's make an extreme hypothetical example, No Glitches, No Cheating involved, just a statistical anomaly. 240/250 people scored perfect on FEAST. If they only take 30 people/intake, then the next 7 intake's worth of testers are screwed unless if they also score perfect. So those other 210 people did not fail the assessment, there just wasn't enough intake capacity to accommodate them.

Now realistically, the scores won't be that high, but as long as those candidates scored high enough, they'll still be in the running for the next couple of intakes. Until NavCanada has a larger pool of candidates with exceptional results on FEAST, even the person who scores only 1 point above the "pass" for FEAST could be considered.

acehigh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by acehigh »

Has anyone who wrote between 1-6 October received any word (good or bad) yet?

Ssauvage87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ssauvage87 »

Anomander wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:49 pm It is not a pass rate. You may not get selected for whatever the intake this period is but you can still get selected next round assuming you passed FEAST.

Let's make an extreme hypothetical example, No Glitches, No Cheating involved, just a statistical anomaly. 240/250 people scored perfect on FEAST. If they only take 30 people/intake, then the next 7 intake's worth of testers are screwed unless if they also score perfect. So those other 210 people did not fail the assessment, there just wasn't enough intake capacity to accommodate them.

Now realistically, the scores won't be that high, but as long as those candidates scored high enough, they'll still be in the running for the next couple of intakes. Until NavCanada has a larger pool of candidates with exceptional results on FEAST, even the person who scores only 1 point above the "pass" for FEAST could be considered.
i think maybe you are confusing FEAST round 1 with round 2.

those that do not go forward into round 2, HAVE failed FEAST, as the FEAST screening consists of FEAST 1,2, and 3. #3 is not conducted until the round 2 two-day 'bootcamp' session.

so in my case, the 30 of the 250 that were selected made it to round 2 (myself included), and THEY were competing for spots in training, which were only around 10. the other 220 people that didnt make it in round 1, are not kept in the pool, they are invited to reapply in a year.

after round 2, you will be told if you 'passed - offered training', 'passed - not offered training at this time', or 'failed', the fails will again be invited to reapply in a year.

FWIW: i have been streamed IFR and was on standby for the end of august class, but no spot opened up, so i am now confirmed for the April class.

alex19
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alex19 »

Can you give any insight into what the 2 day boot camp consists of?

Anomander
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Anomander »

Ssauvage87 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:40 am i think maybe you are confusing FEAST round 1 with round 2.

those that do not go forward into round 2, HAVE failed FEAST, as the FEAST screening consists of FEAST 1,2, and 3. #3 is not conducted until the round 2 two-day 'bootcamp' session.

so in my case, the 30 of the 250 that were selected made it to round 2 (myself included), and THEY were competing for spots in training, which were only around 10. the other 220 people that didnt make it in round 1, are not kept in the pool, they are invited to reapply in a year.

after round 2, you will be told if you 'passed - offered training', 'passed - not offered training at this time', or 'failed', the fails will again be invited to reapply in a year.

FWIW: i have been streamed IFR and was on standby for the end of august class, but no spot opened up, so i am now confirmed for the April class.
I don't think I am. I'm basing off of someone's post on them declining bootcamp for reasons. They said they were notified that they'll be kept in the eligibility list. So presumably there is an pool of candidates in between FEAST I, II & bootcamp (III) unless if that was an exception because nobody usually declines.

In any case congrats on your training spot.

@ Acehigh I'm still waiting for news as well and I tested during that time period.

acehigh
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by acehigh »

Well still no word here. It’s been over 5 weeks since FEAST (they told us we’d get results in 4). Anyone else have an update?

Anomander
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Anomander »

Results are out for me. Congrats to everybody who's made it and I'll see the rest of you all in 18 months again. :prayer:

SCober
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SCober »

Anomander, did you attend the 2-day bootcamp?

SCober
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SCober »

Anomander wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:39 pm Results are out for me. Congrats to everybody who's made it and I'll see the rest of you all in 18 months again. :prayer:
Did you attend the 2 day bootcamp?

Slenderjim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Slenderjim »

I checked the Nav canasa website today and my status after the boot camp now shows "interview".
But above that it shows DNMF YYZ Not eligible for re-application within 18 months.

Anyone else clarify what that means or get this?

Slenderjim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Slenderjim »

Nevermind it switched back to "ATS YYZ Air Traffic Services"

I wonder if the website is having some glitches

oasis7348499
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by oasis7348499 »

Took FEAST 1 early Oct, got a call from Conor early Nov, but I missed it since I was at work. Called back the next day, and Conor explained that someone would be absent for the boot camp so I was bumped up for that spot, but that guy later decided to go for it shortly after Conor called me, so I lost the spot...oh well.
Got an email from Olivia today saying that I "have not been selected to move on to the next stage this time", and my file will be remaining active for 6 months from the FEAST 1 testing date... if not selected during this window, my file expires and would need to wait for 18 months to reapply...
Very mysterious hiring process imho...

Slenderjim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Slenderjim »

Update on Mach course offers:

They are coming, be prepared :P, that's all I'm going to say!

Ssauvage87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ssauvage87 »

Slenderjim wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:10 pm Update on Mach course offers:

They are coming, be prepared :P, that's all I'm going to say!
yup, spoke to a certain talent acquisition assistant today as well :P

BenjaminCook
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BenjaminCook »

Still no news for me.

xpoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by xpoy »

Same here, haven't heard anything.

Slenderjim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Slenderjim »

There is no change on the new website so don't rely on that. And they have not yet sent me my official offer to email. However when i received the offer on the phone last week, they said it would come once they let everyone else know.

So they might still be contacting people with offers for the March course start.

They asked IFR or VFR what choice would I like? And apparently there are less VFR training positions but either way it doesn't make a difference for the start date.

That'a all I can say! Goodluck!

BenjaminCook
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BenjaminCook »

Oof, hopefully I haven't been left out. We'll see, I suppose! Thanks for sharing.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”