YYZ Interviews and Upcoming Courses

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

geoeng
Rank 0
Rank 0

YYZ Interviews and Upcoming Courses

Post by geoeng »

Hey all,

I have an in-person interview in a couple weeks and was wondering if anyone had any insight into what the current demand is in the Toronto FIR (IFR vs. VFR vs. FSS) and when upcoming courses might be. Also where demand is location-wise for new controllers.
---------- ADS -----------

ooooooooooch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: YYZ Interviews and Upcoming Courses

Post by ooooooooooch »

Sorry I don't have an answer, but when did you write you assessment test?

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lotro »

Educated guess:

VFR: Pearson Tower
IFR: Terminal or Airports

Good luck.

navcanhopeful
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by navcanhopeful »

Lotro wrote:Educated guess:

VFR: Pearson Tower
IFR: Terminal or Airports

Good luck.
Wut?

Short answer you should look into them yourself. (Google) showing you've researched the company and what they involve will look great on you.

IFR you'll work in Toronto center the day you finish. IFR pays the most longest and most difficult training. (Some may disagree)

VFR: any of the towers in you fir you could be sent to. At an airport, second most pay

FSS: google some of the places you could go. That may turn you off. Not actual air traffic control. Weather. Lots of weather. Pays the least and training is calm.

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lotro »

As far as I know, googling won't give you the questions to the answers you want based on your original post.

Googling will tell you what NavCanada tells all prospective students/employees which may or may not be accurate reflection of what goes on.

But yeah, go ahead and Google:
"What the current demand is in the Toronto FIR (IFR vs. VFR vs. FSS)?"
"When upcoming courses might be?"
"Also where demand is location-wise for new controllers?"
Or, ask on an aviation forum that controllers visit and learn that demand in the Toronto FIR is typically in the Airports and Terminal specialties for IFR, Pearson Tower for VFR, nowhere for FSS and that courses are typically run in April, and September.

Of course, there are variances based on last minute retirements, Buttonville tower "closing", and the success (or failure) of current students in the system. None of which is available on google.

geoeng
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by geoeng »

Thanks all, particularly Lotro, that's exactly what I was looking for.

ooooooooooch, I did the assessment tests in June 2015. Been sitting around waiting for a while but it's been fun every step of the way.

RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

To add to Lotro's post, which was much more helpful than another one posted in this thread... There are shortages, or anticipated shortages in most units throughout the country. Either through units being short-staffed, or due to upcoming retirements or transfers to other units.

If you're in the YYZ FIR and get streamed into VFR you can almost guarantee being sent to Pearson after completing the basic course, but with a lot of the other towers needing extra staff, you could get sent anywhere. Bare in mind that there is a clause in the contract saying Nav Canada can post you anywhere in the country. It's rare you will get moved out of your FIR, but it does happen.

ooooooooooch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ooooooooooch »

geoeng wrote:Thanks all, particularly Lotro, that's exactly what I was looking for.

ooooooooooch, I did the assessment tests in June 2015. Been sitting around waiting for a while but it's been fun every step of the way.
Thank you, and good luck with the rest of the process!

geoeng
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by geoeng »

While I'm sitting around waiting for a phone call, anyone else in YYZ waiting for a course offer or already received an offer for courses running early next year?

Roarjo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Roarjo »

I am waiting upon yyz also
I had my interview in April.

I feel a bit deflated now with regards to my hopes in getting on a course. My thinking been that if my scores were high enough to green lit but not high enough to get on the last course, whilst at the same time navcanada continue to interview folks, there is nothing to say that what ever score I got will be high enough to be called on a course.

Does anybody have any insight as to what the course schedule is for 2017 courses

genesis1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by genesis1 »

sounds like i was in the same batch of interviews as you geoeng. green light for IFR but no call yet.

I was told in my interview that they were starting some courses in Jan and Feb but they weren't sure if these interviewees were being placed on those. Ive also heard April so its hard to say.

geoeng
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by geoeng »

Roarjo wrote:I am waiting upon yyz also
I had my interview in April.

I feel a bit deflated now with regards to my hopes in getting on a course. My thinking been that if my scores were high enough to green lit but not high enough to get on the last course, whilst at the same time navcanada continue to interview folks, there is nothing to say that what ever score I got will be high enough to be called on a course.

Does anybody have any insight as to what the course schedule is for 2017 courses
In my interview they mentioned courses starting January or February for VFR/IFR, which seems consistent with when the last courses started and course length, and FSS in the Spring. I wasn't following that closely, but it seemed like there were fewer assessment sessions in YYZ this year than the previous year or 2, so hopefully fewer people at the stage where they're waiting for courses.

paq09
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by paq09 »

geoeng wrote:Thanks all, particularly Lotro, that's exactly what I was looking for.

I did mine then as well. Got through interviews and was green lighted IFR in August 2015. So will be timing out in a few months. I've already mentally accepted that I won't be getting in, although quite disappointed. I've seen postings on here that others who applied later than us were offered positions in September intake. With the new CEO's apparent determination to reduce the time from application to intake, perhaps those of already in pool have been left behind???

poseidon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by poseidon »

I'm currently on the VFR course in YYZ and I don't think they will be running one in January unless they are planning on getting more instructors... also I'm not sure if they will be running another one until they have the new training addition opened up at the ACC as they will be relocating the simulator from the tower to the new addition

suramik
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by suramik »

Geoeng and genesis1, I must have been in the same batch of interviews as well. Greenlighted for IFR and now waiting for the phone call. I've also heard courses are to start in April.

genesis1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by genesis1 »

FYI some calls went out yesterday for IFR starting April 3rd

geoeng
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by geoeng »

Well that's good news, at least there's some progress. I was streamed VFR, so hopefully that course will be filled soon as well.

suramik
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by suramik »

I got the call for IFR this week. Excited to start! Hope you others are going to get calls soon as well.

thebigman111
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by thebigman111 »

Just passed my 2nd interview for YYZ! IFR!

Anyone know when the next calls are going out? I guess it's too late for me to be get an April training offer

geoeng
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by geoeng »

Anyone have any intel on VFR courses for YYZ? Know of anything planned or if offers have already been made?

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”