YEG Applications process

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

babyboy_legolas
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: YEG Applications process

Post by babyboy_legolas »

steely wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 10:51 pm
babyboy_legolas wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:40 pm Guys,

I have a couple of questions for the ones called for the In Person interview.

- Before the call to set up the Interview, did your information change on you Takecharge page? I still have the information asking to send the documentation (Which I did, and also I receive the letter from NAV Canada confirming that they received).
- Did you get the call from Edmonton or from the NAV Canada in Ontario? Did they send an email to confirm as well?

Thanks for the info.
Info on the take charge website seems to be somewhat slow at updating... like I've mentioned a few times, even after I received my course offer, my status after the in person interview was still yellow.

The call came from Edmonton FIR. The email that was sent appeared to have just come from Take Charge, giving you the same info as you would find on the take charge website.
Thanks! Still waiting for the call
---------- ADS -----------

evilgravy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by evilgravy »

Pipsqueak87 wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 12:33 pm
Did you find out whether you passed the in person interview yet? I had mine around the same time as you and they told me I’d find out in 2 weeks, it’s almost been 3 now and I’m refreshing the website hourly!
Same deal... no word yet. still waiting!

MeGustaArroz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MeGustaArroz »

Just a little bit of info on IFR pool for those interested. I went in and spent a couple hours with an IFR controller here in edmonton who also teaches the classes. He said next IFR classes will likely be Oct/Nov, and with all the renovations going on it's tough to be sure about that as all the simulators are being moved. Also the general class for IFR is usually 12 students, then when that is finished you get split up into groups between 2-6 students training for various specialtys. He said they like smaller groups as a group of 6 take a longer to finish because all 6 are sharing simulator time and time with on the job instructors. Also as far as cease training (failing) goes I was told that it's better than it was in the past but many still fail. In the last class of 12; 11 graduated. But the year before they had 5 people training in the arctic specialty and all 5 failed. So he said study hard if you get in. Final word of advice he gave was that if you are offered a spot, take a pilot ground school class, as almost all of the information you learn in your first month is what they teach at a pilots ground school, but learning it from a pilot will help give context to all of the information, and take a lot of stress out of your first few weeks. Good luck to all others swimming in the IFR pool!

flyboy987
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyboy987 »

Does anybody know if there is any scheduled assessments coming up? I tried calling today and couldn't get hold of a person unfortunately. If not,when did the last assessments take place so we can gauge the timeline. Thanks all and good luck!

evilgravy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by evilgravy »

MeGustaArroz wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 10:14 am Just a little bit of info on IFR pool for those interested. I went in and spent a couple hours with an IFR controller here in edmonton who also teaches the classes. He said next IFR classes will likely be Oct/Nov, and with all the renovations going on it's tough to be sure about that as all the simulators are being moved. Also the general class for IFR is usually 12 students, then when that is finished you get split up into groups between 2-6 students training for various specialtys. He said they like smaller groups as a group of 6 take a longer to finish because all 6 are sharing simulator time and time with on the job instructors. Also as far as cease training (failing) goes I was told that it's better than it was in the past but many still fail. In the last class of 12; 11 graduated. But the year before they had 5 people training in the arctic specialty and all 5 failed. So he said study hard if you get in. Final word of advice he gave was that if you are offered a spot, take a pilot ground school class, as almost all of the information you learn in your first month is what they teach at a pilots ground school, but learning it from a pilot will help give context to all of the information, and take a lot of stress out of your first few weeks. Good luck to all others swimming in the IFR pool!
great info! thanks for that!

evilgravy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by evilgravy »

well guys, I "redlighted" on the in person interview. I knew it wasn't my best, but thought I might squeak through. Oh well! Good luck to those of you still in the mix!

amyenkhbat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by amyenkhbat »

flyboy987 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 3:23 pm Does anybody know if there is any scheduled assessments coming up? I tried calling today and couldn't get hold of a person unfortunately. If not,when did the last assessments take place so we can gauge the timeline. Thanks all and good luck!
I just wrote an email and they wrote back that they are planning an assessment session in July and contacting selected candidated starting next week. Hope I get through!

flyboy987
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyboy987 »

amyenkhbat wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:32 pm
flyboy987 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 3:23 pm Does anybody know if there is any scheduled assessments coming up? I tried calling today and couldn't get hold of a person unfortunately. If not,when did the last assessments take place so we can gauge the timeline. Thanks all and good luck!
I just wrote an email and they wrote back that they are planning an assessment session in July and contacting selected candidated starting next week. Hope I get through!
Thanks for the info boss, good luck everybody!

Pipsqueak87
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pipsqueak87 »

evilgravy wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:48 pm well guys, I "redlighted" on the in person interview. I knew it wasn't my best, but thought I might squeak through. Oh well! Good luck to those of you still in the mix!
I’m really sorry to hear you didn’t get a green light. I hope you are more successful next time around! Somehow, I got the green light, I’m shocked as I was a nervous wreck in the interview. Now the wait. I’ve actually cancelled my wedding which was supposed to be happening June 2019 JUST in case, so I really hope I get the call!

MeGustaArroz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MeGustaArroz »

Pipsqueak87 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:39 am
evilgravy wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:48 pm well guys, I "redlighted" on the in person interview. I knew it wasn't my best, but thought I might squeak through. Oh well! Good luck to those of you still in the mix!
I’m really sorry to hear you didn’t get a green light. I hope you are more successful next time around! Somehow, I got the green light, I’m shocked as I was a nervous wreck in the interview. Now the wait. I’ve actually cancelled my wedding which was supposed to be happening June 2019 JUST in case, so I really hope I get the call!
Wow canceling your wedding seems intense haha. Hope you get in! I just bought a house on the south side of the city so that if I get in the drive to school wont be too bad. I'm also always working on the Southside now anyways, so seemed like a good idea overall. But damn the wedding canceling is hardcore.

flyboy987
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyboy987 »

Got my invite for the July 11th assessment. Time to do some brain exercises haha, good luck all.

Pipsqueak87
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pipsqueak87 »

MeGustaArroz wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:05 pm
Pipsqueak87 wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:39 am
Wow canceling your wedding seems intense haha. Hope you get in! I just bought a house on the south side of the city so that if I get in the drive to school wont be too bad. I'm also always working on the Southside now anyways, so seemed like a good idea overall. But damn the wedding canceling is hardcore.
Yeah, maybe a little presumptuous, but I was in the initial stages so only lost a deposit on the venue, thought I’d cut my losses and postpone for another year! I’m actually moving North West of the city in a few months...so basically as far from the airport as you can get...shoulda thought that one through! Good luck! I hope you get a place on the course!

Ghonosyphlaids
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ghonosyphlaids »

Short notice, but I got an invite to the 2nd interview on Friday the 13th- haha.

To those that have interviewed and found it way more intense than previously experienced or researched, what's made it more intense?
I hear tale they're putting applicants in to sims and weighing that much more heavily in the evaluation, was that the case for you guys?

Thanks in advance!

yegmagpie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yegmagpie »

I interviewed last week and didn't get put in a sim, for what it's worth. My impression is that it's a fairly standard behavioural interview (look up the STAR response format) alongside biographical questions.

Ghonosyphlaids
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ghonosyphlaids »

yegmagpie wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:27 am I interviewed last week and didn't get put in a sim, for what it's worth. My impression is that it's a fairly standard behavioural interview (look up the STAR response format) alongside biographical questions.
Ah so not too different from the phone interview, STAR was enormously helpful there as well.
Cheers, thanks!

babyboy_legolas
Rank 1
Rank 1

I did my interview this week also, it's fairly straight nothing really exceptional or different. The interview is confidential so no specific content can be revealed. They are looking to fill spots for next year; there is no time now to fill the Fall courses.

YEGYYCATC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YEGYYCATC »

babyboy_legolas,
Did they say in your interview that they had already filled the fall spots, or is that just you guessing? Just curious as I haven't seen anyone post anything yet about getting calls for fall. I had heard they wouldn't be going out until August...
Thanks!

babyboy_legolas
Rank 1
Rank 1

Yes, they mentioned that this selection process will be likely for next spring. It take up to three weeks to be upload the results by Nav Canada Center( is not done in Edmonton)

Basically they don't decide which one you belong, you'll go to a candidate pool and according with the needs from the ACC, it will be extractions. So it's a matter of time line, I know from reading in the blog that some of the guys who made the phone interviews in March like me, were called almost right away for their in person. With that rush( and yes, this is feeling), they were short in candidates for the fall course.

I don't know what happened after that.

YEGYYCATC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YEGYYCATC »

Thanks for the info :)
I am currently in the pool, so still hoping for a fall offer!

Has anyone else heard anything for the fall courses??
Please post if you do!!

Thanks!

Ghonosyphlaids
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ghonosyphlaids »

YEGYYCATC wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:28 am Thanks for the info :)
I am currently in the pool, so still hoping for a fall offer!

Has anyone else heard anything for the fall courses??
Please post if you do!!

Thanks!
I received the same information at my interview last week as legolas, that seats for fall had more or less been filled. That being said, the manager did mention courses aren't usually loaded until 2 (ideally 3) months before they begin, so if you joined the pool earlier than this last batch of applicants, you may be in contention.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”