FSS Course (YQM) - What to expect?

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Slothhead
Rank 0
Rank 0

FSS Course (YQM) - What to expect?

Post by Slothhead »

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect from the FSS course? I start in September in Moncton. I'd love to hear about peoples experiences, coping mechanism, study schedules, pretty much any information is valuable to me.

I'd specifically like to know what to expect on the ITA exam that I'll be taking my first week. Are the chapter quizzes & block assessments a good gauge of how difficult the questions will be?

I'm also interested in learning about how postings are assigned, and when they get into that. Although, realistically I should just take it one step at a time....

Many thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

fanman888
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: FSS Course (YQM) - What to expect?

Post by fanman888 »

Everything you asked about NavCan will walk you through during the first week you're there. They will have presentations on study techniques, health and wellness, fatigue management, support programs, etc. For now, just focus on the ITA. The review questions and practice test is not enough review at all. Study a lot and be prepared to face questions of all sorts; fill in the blank, matching, MC, short answers, etc. You'll be given about a week when you arrive to do review of the ITS with your instructors. Take this opportunity to ask questions and to clarify your understanding of concepts. Other than that, good luck!

Slothhead
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Slothhead »

Thanks for the info, fanman.

I'm pretty sure this FSS course isn't going to have a weeks review of the ITA before the exam. HR had told me the testing date would be the first or second day of class. Also I've heard the FSS exam is pretty different than the IFR/VFR exams (you're IFR, right?), but most of my intel is from people speculating on forums, so I don't really know.

I'm sticking to a good study schedule, so I'm feeling confident with the progress I'm making, but I do wish the quizzes and block assessments were a more accurate representation of how well I'm expected to know the content.

TGSky
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TGSky »

I am currently on course for FSS, about a month left to go. The post above properly answered a lot of your questions. For us, we had two weeks of ITA study/prep. But our course was loaded pretty late and I understand this varies based on the course. I would go with whatever HR is telling you. The test is 50 multiple choice / true false questions. The block quizzes and final Assesment will prepare you somewhat well. You should be getting high 90s on all of them leading up to the test. Pay attention to the review questions that they give you, and ask lots of questions to your instructor. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I'll answer as best I can.

chobs
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chobs »

Slothhead wrote:Also I've heard the FSS exam is pretty different than the IFR/VFR exams (you're IFR, right?), but most of my intel is from people speculating on forums, so I don't really know.

Correct. Tower controller here who did my course last spring... As noted below from an FSS trainee, their test is 50 multiple choice/true false questions. The ATC one is longer and more in depth and thus I imagine the courses are different too (since you do click into either the VFR/IFR or FSS ITA when you load it up).

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”