Degree

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Scott25
Rank 1
Rank 1

Degree

Post by Scott25 »

How many of you guys currently working have degrees of some sort. Wondering if it is necessary to have one or not. I assume you don't need one. I assume this because they have all their testing to weed out the people who don't think quick enough. If anyone could let me know that would be great thanks !
---------- ADS -----------

DTOWN DYNASTY
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Degree

Post by DTOWN DYNASTY »

You are correct in reading that you don't need a degree, but your life experience better make up for what going to school does. It shows you can learn a curriculum and apply it to pass and attain the degree. It displays discipline and commitment to attaining a goal and generally other then the price will always be a positive thing to have on your resume.

I was just accepted to training, and I have two degrees and a professional diploma.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Scott25:

Education requirements usually reflect supply and demand. When I was offered employment with Air Canada in the last century, the airline industry was expanding at an unprecedented pace. I was a high school reject, but I had six years in the military and knew how to run a jet engine. The airlines needed pilots and they needed them NOW!

Conditions change and as the supply outstrips the demand, HR and chief pilots can up the skill and education requirements required. They become management tools to make their job a little easier. DD is not incorrect in his assessment of today's requirement.

To give you an indication of the differing times:

Myself and another instructor flew a T-33 down to Montreal for our Air Canada interview. We met with a Captain XXXX (I forget his name). We the introductions were over, he said: "Well, what do you boys do now?" We indicated that we were T-33 instructors at Portage La Prairie. "Ah", says he, and we spent the next 45 minutes talking flying and WW II. At some point, he looked at his watch and said "Damn! I have another interview in a few minutes. Here's the deal lads; the jobs are yours, if you want them. The secretary will send out your course joining instructions. Your job will be to show up on Day 1 with a multi-engine ATR" And that was our interview.

I wouldn't stand a chance today... (;>0)

Now, if you can't get a degree due to time constraints or you have this "burning itch to go flying", remember, there are many roads to (flying) enlightenment...

Good luck.

J

Geoff Vader
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Geoff Vader »

I do not agree that a degree is necessary for ATC...I assume ATC is what you are asking about Scott25?

I certainly have not got one, I left school at 16 ( ATC for 35 years) and am a firm believer that just because you have "proof you can study" does not mean you will hack ATC. I have seen many people that have hit the high 90s in bookwork who simply could not do the job practically and could equally show you many that stank at the bookwork but were natural controllers being able to see what the bookwork was all about only when sat in front of a radar screen and not before. Sure, life experiences are important but the bottom line is you can either do this job or you can't. I am not being pretentious or self important I just think thats the way it is.

If you are contemplating ATC then I wish you good luck, we need the staff!! My advice would be if you are pre-university then apply and if you are successful then you (or your parents) have saved a lot of money and you are earning good money at a young age. If not then you can do Uni whilst you are still young.

If it means anything then a recent course at my unit had an age range of 20-40. there were 2 successful check outs......the two youngest. ( Not intended to be ageist in any way) .

Good luck in your life whatever you choose to do. If you want any help or advice (ATC only) pm me.

fanman888
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fanman888 »

Geoff Vader wrote:I do not agree that a degree is necessary for ATC...I assume ATC is what you are asking about Scott25?

I certainly have not got one, I left school at 16 ( ATC for 35 years) and am a firm believer that just because you have "proof you can study" does not mean you will hack ATC. I have seen many people that have hit the high 90s in bookwork who simply could not do the job practically and could equally show you many that stank at the bookwork but were natural controllers being able to see what the bookwork was all about only when sat in front of a radar screen and not before. Sure, life experiences are important but the bottom line is you can either do this job or you can't. I am not being pretentious or self important I just think thats the way it is.

If you are contemplating ATC then I wish you good luck, we need the staff!! My advice would be if you are pre-university then apply and if you are successful then you (or your parents) have saved a lot of money and you are earning good money at a young age. If not then you can do Uni whilst you are still young.

If it means anything then a recent course at my unit had an age range of 20-40. there were 2 successful check outs......the two youngest. ( Not intended to be ageist in any way) .

Good luck in your life whatever you choose to do. If you want any help or advice (ATC only) pm me.
Interesting read! How young were the two candidates when they checked out?

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

I started the course at 18, my friend at 19 (same course) and we both checked out without a degree at 20. As someone who does recruiting I see no correlation between people with degrees being better candidates. A degree will help if management is something that interests you.

Geoff Vader
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Geoff Vader »

fanman888

21 and I believe 24

GV

Scott25
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Scott25 »

Thanks guys this makes me feel alot more confident. As I feel I did great at the assessment session and killed the phone interview.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”