YYZ Assessments

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

babyboy_legolas
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: YYZ Assessments

Post by babyboy_legolas »

When I did my phone interview (YEG process); the interviewer told me that they have a fantastic facility with all the amenities to hold the training sessions there (its' like a big campus on the margins of the St Lawrence River). He doesn't work for NAV canada anymore, but he recommended to start using the facility again and start doing training sessions from Mon-Fri for Nationwide. I don't know if this represents more like a wish than an actual fact.
---------- ADS -----------

alex19
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alex19 »

Does anybody have any insight as to where that leaves the Dec assessment attendees who already passed the phone interview and are awaiting an in person interview?

Maverick28
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Maverick28 »

Ssauvage87 wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:25 pm
.TODA. wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:48 pm Ssauvage87 -

When you say you got an invite to the April 5th Assessment for a Fall 2018 course, are you assuming the April 5th Assessment candidates will be invited to the Fall 2018 courses? Just to clarify, from what I've understood from these posts, the May 2017 Assessment writers have been invited to the April 2018 Courses. The December 2017 Assessment writers are awaiting in-person interviews and potentially invites to Fall 2018 Courses. I could be wrong. Anyone else care to comment on these assumptions?

TODA
Hello,

You're right in that that's usually how things would go. But they're doing things a bit differently now. The April assessment invitees, 150 in total, are part of a new pilot program with a new assessment format. They will choose the top 30 of the 150 and invite them back for a 2-day boot camp in May and June with more testing and interviews and they're hoping to keep most of the 30 but the next day or day after you'll know if you're being offered a spot for the fall training class of IFR or VFR. They're trying to streamline the hiring so people aren't waiting in the pool so long at each stage. I can't say for sure but I'd guess the 150 chosen for this were pretty high up in the existing pool awaiting an assessment.
Yes, this invite was for Fall 2018. I attended the session in the 1st week of April 2018 at YYZ. It was a new testing process and ran for about 8 hours. They will decide on the candidates by June 2018.

mofoman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mofoman »

Hi Maverick28, thanks for the update. I have a few questions for you if u don't mind:

1) can you please elaborate on what the new in-person testing process entailed? How different is it from what's been written about the in-person assessment on this forum.
2) How many candidates were there writing the test?
3) was there anyone who looked to be a bit older ie. late 30's early 40's?

Thanks in advance

Maverick28
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Maverick28 »

mofoman wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:59 am Hi Maverick28, thanks for the update. I have a few questions for you if u don't mind:

1) can you please elaborate on what the new in-person testing process entailed? How different is it from what's been written about the in-person assessment on this forum.
2) How many candidates were there writing the test?
3) was there anyone who looked to be a bit older ie. late 30's early 40's?

Thanks in advance
Hi mofoman,

1.) Sorry can't divulge much about this as we were told not to disclose any information about this. But I can tell you that the testing was an 8 hour long session with 1 hour lunch break in between.
2.) Around 10-12 at a time.
3.) There were a couple of guys who were in their early to mid 30's. Not sure about late 30's though.

We were told that there are about 150 people taking the test and about 30 of those will be called for the next step.

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lotro »

Some information about the testing was discuss on Reddit's ATC subreddit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FEAST_test

http://feast-info.eurocontrol.int/

FWIW these are aptitude tests designed to test aptitude so, in principle, you can't really prepare for them. While it's difficult to accept that (it was for me too!) it will be easier on you if you just let go, show up well rested, and do your best.

Good luck to all.

mofoman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mofoman »

Thanks for the responses Maverick28 and Lotro, very helpful.

Maverick28, the 150 doing the assessment, were they all writing at the YYZ FIR? If that is the case then they would need to run about 10-15 assessment sessions, if there were only 10-12 people at your assessment. Is that the case?

Ssauvage87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ssauvage87 »

mofoman wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:50 am Thanks for the responses Maverick28 and Lotro, very helpful.

Maverick28, the 150 doing the assessment, were they all writing at the YYZ FIR? If that is the case then they would need to run about 10-15 assessment sessions, if there were only 10-12 people at your assessment. Is that the case?
All 150 were to be tested over the month of April

Ssauvage87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ssauvage87 »

just got the email today that i made the top 30 cut!! going for my 2-day 'bootcamp' in-person assessment interview days on may 24-25. i cant wait :)

Maverick28
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Maverick28 »

Ssauvage87 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:51 pm just got the email today that i made the top 30 cut!! going for my 2-day 'bootcamp' in-person assessment interview days on may 24-25. i cant wait :)
Hey Ssauvage87, congratulations! Even I got the email for the 2nd Round of Testing. Did you get a confirmation for the dates?

Ssauvage87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ssauvage87 »

Maverick28 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:59 pm
Ssauvage87 wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:51 pm just got the email today that i made the top 30 cut!! going for my 2-day 'bootcamp' in-person assessment interview days on may 24-25. i cant wait :)
Hey Ssauvage87, congratulations! Even I got the email for the 2nd Round of Testing. Did you get a confirmation for the dates?
Oh wow! Congratulations to us both then! And no, no confirmation, just did the doodle poll. I'm not sure if we can prepare for round two? Like will there be a wSim prep package sent out? Or are they doing away with the wSim?

Maverick28
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Maverick28 »

Ssauvage87 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:10 am
Oh wow! Congratulations to us both then! And no, no confirmation, just did the doodle poll. I'm not sure if we can prepare for round two? Like will there be a wSim prep package sent out? Or are they doing away with the wSim?
I am not sure what is gonna happen during these 2 days. I am planning to call them and ask about it.

kmj
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kmj »

Congratulations guys, well done, you've crossed a big hurdle!
I have not heard anything from them... starting to reconcile that I probably didn't make the cut...sigh

Maverick28
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Maverick28 »

kmj wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:07 pm Congratulations guys, well done, you've crossed a big hurdle!
I have not heard anything from them... starting to reconcile that I probably didn't make the cut...sigh
Hi! When did you take the full day test? We were told that everyone will hear back from them, by the end of April. If you don't hear back by then, you should drop an email.

kmj
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kmj »

I sat for the session on April 9th. Been eagerly waiting to hear from them. I think you’re right, if few more days go by without any news i’ll drop them an email.

BRBiker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BRBiker »

I recived my confirmation for the YYZ may 24th-25th second round session aswell, do any if you know how the interviews are conducted? (1 in person, 2 in person?) congrats and see you guys there

BRBiker
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BRBiker »

See you guys there, i got my email 2 days ago saying i made the top 30! I cant wait for May 24th-25th! do you guys know anything about the testing or interviews? is the testing similar to what we did in early april?

Maverick28
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Maverick28 »

kmj wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:51 am I sat for the session on April 9th. Been eagerly waiting to hear from them. I think you’re right, if few more days go by without any news i’ll drop them an email.
Good luck!

Flight4475
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flight4475 »

I am incredibly disappointed to say I haven't heard back from them yet either. Congratulations to those that did. I was a part of the April 6 session.

Akarashi
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Akarashi »

Ssauvage87 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:10 am
Here to say congratulations too, unfortunately I did not make the cut. Mind if I ask which days you guys wrote the feast and your thoughts on it? Curious if it was all a surprise too or if you found some useful preparation. I wish i knew if that thing was entirely negatively marked.. Also, please share your experience with the boot camp!

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”