YYZ VFR Placement

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

kibitz
Rank 0
Rank 0

YYZ VFR Placement

Post by kibitz »

Hi All! Long time lurker, first time poster.

My question is for people in the YYZ region. Where were your classmates sent to for OJT after completing generic? I understand some may not want to divulge their location, but even a rough breakdown would satiate my curiosity.

Thanks to those who respond :)
---------- ADS -----------

poseidon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: YYZ VFR Placement

Post by poseidon »

From the last course that passed last year 2 people went to Hamilton, 1 person went to kitchener, 1 went to Sault ste Marie, and one went directly to pearson.

That being said with the exception of the person that went to the Sault (because he was previously FSS and worked out a deal) and obviously the person that went directly to pearson, everyone signed paperwork stating the company could call them to pearson up to 2 years after they check out in the towers they are training at.

I'm not sure if the course going through now will end up doing the same thing, but I would imagine that's how it will be until pearson is fully staffed.

kibitz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kibitz »

Awesome info, thanks!

Can you say how they were chosen for their locations? I assume instructors told them where they were going based on their best chance at success of checking out ... ?

poseidon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by poseidon »

I believe the locations were based on who had space for students and the distance one would have to travel....

.TODA.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by .TODA. »

poseidon wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:55 pm From the last course that passed last year 2 people went to Hamilton, 1 person went to kitchener, 1 went to Sault ste Marie, and one went directly to pearson.

That being said with the exception of the person that went to the Sault (because he was previously FSS and worked out a deal) and obviously the person that went directly to pearson, everyone signed paperwork stating the company could call them to pearson up to 2 years after they check out in the towers they are training at.

I'm not sure if the course going through now will end up doing the same thing, but I would imagine that's how it will be until pearson is fully staffed.
Hey Poseidon:
From this count, am I to understand that there were only 5 graduates from the VFR Course @ YZ FIR?
If this is the case, how many students began the VFR Course? Plz Advise
TODA

poseidon
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by poseidon »

That would be correct.... the course started with 6 people however 1 did not pass the final assessment

.TODA.
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by .TODA. »

Thank you for your reply.
Any idea on what a typical class size is for IFR?
Thank you.
.TODA.

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lotro »

In the last contract the union and the company announced the "Tower Progression Program".
The Tower Progression Program (TPP) is intended to improve qualification success rates for ATC Student Controllers at the Toronto Pearson Tower and the Winnipeg Tower where we have difficulty attracting, qualifying and retaining employees.
The short version is that in the YZ FIR staffing Pearson is the priority. In an attempt to increase qualification rates at Pearson, Ab Initio students will be assigned to a "feeder tower" where they will work until qualification with the stipulation that within 2 years following qualification they could get "called up" to Pearson. If you don't get called up in 2 years, you stay where you are. If you do get called up, and don't qualify at Pearson, you won't have return rights to your first unit, you'll get sent to another unit in the country.

In the Toronto FIR the "feeder towers" are identified as: CYKF, CYAM, CYXU, CYHM and CYOO.

Prior to the TPP VFR basic students were nearly always slated to go to Pearson. It's a pretty safe bet that students will go to one of the VFR towers listed above as part of the TPP.

Toronto Island is chronically understaffed as well, and it's plausible that people will get sent there outside of the TPP. YXU is also chronically understaffed.

Hope this helps, PM me if you want more specific information.

Kjs
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kjs »

Lotro wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:21 pm In the last contract the union and the company announced the "Tower Progression Program".
The Tower Progression Program (TPP) is intended to improve qualification success rates for ATC Student Controllers at the Toronto Pearson Tower and the Winnipeg Tower where we have difficulty attracting, qualifying and retaining employees.
The short version is that in the YZ FIR staffing Pearson is the priority. In an attempt to increase qualification rates at Pearson, Ab Initio students will be assigned to a "feeder tower" where they will work until qualification with the stipulation that within 2 years following qualification they could get "called up" to Pearson. If you don't get called up in 2 years, you stay where you are. If you do get called up, and don't qualify at Pearson, you won't have return rights to your first unit, you'll get sent to another unit in the country.

In the Toronto FIR the "feeder towers" are identified as: CYKF, CYAM, CYXU, CYHM and CYOO.

Prior to the TPP VFR basic students were nearly always slated to go to Pearson. It's a pretty safe bet that students will go to one of the VFR towers listed above as part of the TPP.

Toronto Island is chronically understaffed as well, and it's plausible that people will get sent there outside of the TPP. YXU is also chronically understaffed.

Hope this helps, PM me if you want more specific information.

Great information here, thank you!

As for IFR students; are they generally trained and sent to start at the ACC in Toronto? How does it work for terminal/en route ?

Thanks again

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”