Anyone in YEG get a call for spring 2018 courses?

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

nfpeanut
Rank 2
Rank 2

Anyone in YEG get a call for spring 2018 courses?

Post by nfpeanut »

Anyone in YEG get a call for spring 2018 courses yet? I've heard there were offerings in May.
---------- ADS -----------

Amac97
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Anyone in YEG get a call for spring 2018 courses?

Post by Amac97 »

I'm still waiting to get a call for an in person interview. I did my phone interview in June and got the green light the next day but haven't heard anything since. Fingers crossed for everyone.

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

As I said, I am not expecting a call (streamed IFR in November of 2016)

but no, I did not receive a call either.

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D
YEGYYCATC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YEGYYCATC »

I have not heard anything yet either... hoping someone will post if they do, so that we at least know!

MeGustaArroz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MeGustaArroz »

Hey NF I think I was in at the same assessment session as you back in May. I just did my in person interview 2 days ago. The training manager said they haven't started filling spring classes yet, and that there was a chance I could still get a call for spring classes (assuming I get the green light from interview, I'm tired if furiously checking the take charge page every hour!!!!)

YEGYYCATC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YEGYYCATC »

Hey thanks for updating us!! :)
Did they happen to say anything about when they would be making those calls for spring courses?

steely
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by steely »

Lurked for quite a long time, finally decide to register and post.

Had my interview up at YEG yesterday after my I had the assessment in May and the phone interview in June. Heard the same thing as I like Rice (MeGustaArroz), they haven't given out invites for spring classes yet, so there may be a chance for people who passed the interview this period to get in on it, with the course likely starting in May.

They mentioned that they are hoping to get all of the May course invites out by the end of next week, and if they can't, by the end of March.

Though I don't think I interviewed well enough to get ranked for this course in May... damn nervousness.

MeGustaArroz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MeGustaArroz »

She didn't give an exact timeline but said likely within the next month. You know how it goes though they never give out any real solid information.

nfpeanut
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nfpeanut »

Well that's positive news then! Might be something to look forward to still. It's very tough to get solid information, but everything is based on operational requirements, so I suppose they can change very quickly with internal transfers and such. And I would imagine there would have to be enough need to load a course with a certain number of people to make it worth it. Good luck to everyone in the running!

nfpeanut
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nfpeanut »

Received a standby offer for May VFR course in YEG today...Not sure how often a standby offer turns into the real thing, but hey, it's a start.

steely
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by steely »

nfpeanut wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:51 pm Received a standby offer for May VFR course in YEG today...Not sure how often a standby offer turns into the real thing, but hey, it's a start.
When I got my initial phone call I was on a standby offer, but they did also tell me that I was the first on the list. If one person declined, didn't pass medical, or can't make it for any reason, that spot was mine.

Lo and behold, 2 days later, one person declined an offer and I got the training seat.

So it does happen.

nfpeanut
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nfpeanut »

Nice! Unfortunately I didn’t get any specifics in regards to if I was a first alternate. Any number of things can happen I suppose for someone to be out of the course but don’t want to get excited too soon. I’ve already expired once and this is my second time in the pool so there has been a lot of ups and downs over the past few years.

steely
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by steely »

Well, maybe someone will decline, or not pass medical, or not be able to train for any reason... then you get your shot.

nfpeanut
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nfpeanut »

steely...Congrats on your call too by the way!! That's excellent news. Seeing that you got your standby offer on Mar 13 (and I only got mine on the 23rd) I am assuming I only got selected to go into the standby pool only because someone backed out and you got bumped ahead. :D
So congrats on the call and all the best to you with your course!!

steely
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by steely »

Thanks!

Hopefully you hear some good news soon!

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

steely wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:10 am
nfpeanut wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:51 pm Received a standby offer for May VFR course in YEG today...Not sure how often a standby offer turns into the real thing, but hey, it's a start.
When I got my initial phone call I was on a standby offer, but they did also tell me that I was the first on the list. If one person declined, didn't pass medical, or can't make it for any reason, that spot was mine.

Lo and behold, 2 days later, one person declined an offer and I got the training seat.

So it does happen.
That was me :)

After missing 3 groups of offers in a row, I accepted a position at an amazing company 4 months ago. Now things have changed and I can't afford the level of risk and burning this bridge, NavCan took too long for me when I needed to know more. I hope to re-apply in 3 or 4 years when my family is ready again and it wont screw over the employer that brought me on.

Glad to know someone from here got my seat thought. Best of luck to you!

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D
yegadjacent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yegadjacent »

Congratulations to everyone who got an offer for the spring course!

I had my in person in February and I was told pretty much verbatim what the rest of you were told. That Nav Canada hoped to let everyone know by mid to end March.

Now for some reason or another, my status still shows yellow. I guess it's better than red, but ya know......

Yeah, you all know. Lol

yegadjacent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yegadjacent »

outflying8 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:08 am
steely wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:10 am

So it does happen.
That was me :)

After missing 3 groups of offers in a row, I accepted a position at an amazing company 4 months ago. Now things have changed and I can't afford the level of risk and burning this bridge, NavCan took too long for me when I needed to know more. I hope to re-apply in 3 or 4 years when my family is ready again and it wont screw over the employer that brought me on.

Glad to know someone from here got my seat thought. Best of luck to you!

Well I remember you predicting this outcome for yourself back in the summer. Hopefully next time around you get further, faster.

Dahsira
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dahsira »

Has anyone got loaded into a spring IFR course? I've seen people get loaded into FSS and VFR but IFR has been silent. Just curious on whether there even was a spring IFR course or if was delayed due to the renos going on at the facility in YEG.

babyboy_legolas
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by babyboy_legolas »

Dahsira wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:03 am Has anyone got loaded into a spring IFR course? I've seen people get loaded into FSS and VFR but IFR has been silent. Just curious on whether there even was a spring IFR course or if was delayed due to the renos going on at the facility in YEG.
I will assume that they are going to wait for the 2nd round interviews to search for more candidate for IFR; there is no other logical reason to see why the haven't call for it so far.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”