Vfr

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Scott25
Rank 1
Rank 1

Vfr

Post by Scott25 »

So I streamed VFR. Do people ever stream vfr and get IFR or am I just stuck with vfr which I'm with
---------- ADS -----------

Kjs
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Vfr

Post by Kjs »

If you're steamed VFR you can only get an offer for VFR or FSS.

IFR has.the potential to get any of the 3.

I was streamed IFR recently and got a VFR course offer. Slightly disappointed at first but now I'm totally okay with it and infact maybe even happier I got VFR.

Cheers and good luck !

What fir if you don't mind me asking ?

Scott25
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Scott25 »

Darn too bad. Was hoping to stay and Winnipeg but might not be possible now. I have no issue with moving was just hoping. YWG. How about yourself? And thanks for replying.

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lotro »

Winnipeg FIR is covered under the "Tower Progression Program". VFR Ab Initios are most likely to receive an initial posting at Saskatoon (YXE) or Thunder Bay (YQT). If they qualify there, they can be recalled to YWG tower within two years.

So, you may end up in YWG in the end anyways.

Good luck, study hard.

Scott25
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Scott25 »

Thank you very much for the info. I appreciate it. If I get in studying is all I will do thanks again

Mark.oa.hebert
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mark.oa.hebert »

Hey... I was talking to a tower controller and his advise was to get checked out through VFR as the success rate is much higher then you can bid to go to IFR training... This is the better way as the IFR success rate is lower than VFR and then you are always guaranteed to go back to your tower that you were checked out in... PLUS you are getting paid your tower controller salary whil ein training for IFR... :)

Scott25
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Scott25 »

Oh wow that's actually really helpful information. Thank you as well. Hopefully I get a spot in the upcoming training.

Kjs
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kjs »

Scott25 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:59 pm Oh wow that's actually really helpful information. Thank you as well. Hopefully I get a spot in the upcoming training.
Good luck my dude!

Top_Gun
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Top_Gun »

Lotro wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:08 am Winnipeg FIR is covered under the "Tower Progression Program". VFR Ab Initios are most likely to receive an initial posting at Saskatoon (YXE) or Thunder Bay (YQT). If they qualify there, they can be recalled to YWG tower within two years.

So, you may end up in YWG in the end anyways.

Good luck, study hard.
Sorry to revive an old thread but is this still true for Winnipeg FIR when it come to VFR ab initios?

I had read about this in the Toronto FIR but hadn’t heard about it happening in Winnipeg.

Thanks

JetReath
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JetReath »

[/quote]
Sorry to revive an old thread but is this still true for Winnipeg FIR when it come to VFR ab initios?

I had read about this in the Toronto FIR but hadn’t heard about it happening in Winnipeg.

Thanks
[/quote]

They aren’t guaranteed to be on the TPP. It depends a lot on how understaffed Winnipeg is or will be in the near future.

ATC2B
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ATC2B »

Does Toronto still have the TPP? My understanding is if you train in Toronto (IFR or VFR) you'll stay in Toronto and not have to move to another FIR?
(apologies I hope I used the acronyms correctly)

Mayor_McCheese
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mayor_McCheese »

ATC2B wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:33 pm Does Toronto still have the TPP? My understanding is if you train in Toronto (IFR or VFR) you'll stay in Toronto and not have to move to another FIR?
(apologies I hope I used the acronyms correctly)
Yes, Toronto is still doing TPP for VFR trainees.

Generally speaking, you'll stay in the FIR you train in. IFR, for sure you'll stay at YZ ACC. VFR you'll be sent to one of the towers in the region. If you're not TPP, and you qualify at your initial post, that's where you'll stay. In TPP, I believe that if you are sent to YYZ during the recall period, and don't make it there, the company can send you anywhere in the country. I could be wrong on this though, maybe someone currently in TPP could give you a more definitive answer.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”