Training Course Offers

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

MikeGolfEcho
Rank 3
Rank 3

Training Course Offers

Post by MikeGolfEcho »

Afternoon all,

If you get the green light and are streamed VFR, but then offered a FSS training course, are you able to decline the FSS course with hopes of receiving a VFR training course later?

Or if you say, "No thanks" to the FSS course, is that it? Game over? I was wondering if they're likely to offer you another course if you've already declined a different one.

Thanks!

MGE.
---------- ADS -----------

stabilizedapproach
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Training Course Offers

Post by stabilizedapproach »

You're permitted to decline, but note that if you pass up on an offer and they continue adding more people to the pool, you may get ranked down. The company extends offers to people who are most suitable for the position they are hiring and there is no guarantee you will still be the most suitable once the next round of offers come by.

So in short... yes you can decline. No, it's not game over. Yes they will offer you another course if you're still deemed competitive.

stabilizedapproach
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stabilizedapproach »

The company extends offers to candidates they feel are qualified for the job. If you get streamed VFR but extended an offer for FSS, then you probably have the aptitude for VFR, but other people in the pool have "more" of that same aptitude, and thus loaded for that VFR course.

If you are extended an offer for whatever stream, you are the most qualified candidate AT THAT TIME for that position. Therefore, if you decline the FSS offer hoping to get a VFR offer (HR will not be able to tell you whether that's possible), you might be betting big because more people will get added to the pool prior to the next round of offers being extended. Similarly, offers will be made for a course for candidates that are most qualified AT THAT TIME, of which you may still be, or may no longer be, a part of.

So in short, YES you can decline an FSS course. NO it is not game over.

tower controller
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tower controller »

There is no guarantee that if you get a green light that you will be offered a VFR course. I'm pretty sure though that if you accepted an offer for FSS and a VFR course subsequently became available and you had ranked high enough to receive an offer you would get an offer even though you had already accepted an offer for FSS

MikeGolfEcho
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MikeGolfEcho »

Thanks for the reply!

That's good to know, I understand there's no guarantees, but what if you turn down the FSS offer, because you're holding out for a VFR offer?

Does the fact that you turned down FSS mean they can't/won't offer you VFR?

MGE

thebigman111
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by thebigman111 »

i was streamed IFR, offered FSS and accepted

As I understand it, if you would have gotten VFR that cycle, you would've gotten it or standby

You could wait for the next cycle but there's no gaurantee for that cycle.

MikeGolfEcho
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MikeGolfEcho »

Thank you for the replies folks, I appreciate it.

Now back to waiting to see IF I get offered anything :) Fingers crossed.

MGE.

RippyTheGator
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RippyTheGator »

I got an offer for IFR Training starting April 9th for YVR region. :D Anyone else get an offer?

radiovoice
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by radiovoice »

MikeGolfEcho wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:20 pm Afternoon all,

If you get the green light and are streamed VFR, but then offered a FSS training course, are you able to decline the FSS course with hopes of receiving a VFR training course later?

Or if you say, "No thanks" to the FSS course, is that it? Game over? I was wondering if they're likely to offer you another course if you've already declined a different one.

Thanks!

MGE.
Some years ago, when I started, I asked them at the interview where they gave me my job offer, whether I could decline Flight Service and get onto a control course. They said it was a possibility, but a better way of doing it would be to accept the offer and cross train a couple years into my career, as they couldn't guarantee I'd be offered anything before my application timed out and I'd have to start all over again. I was disappointed, but I did it. I've spent a handful of years in FSS now, working with great colleagues and pilots, learning the company line, seeing the country, etc. Pay isn't controller good, but its WAY better than a kick in the teeth after OT, premiums, etc. Added bonus: qualification rate in FSS is nearly 100%.

tl;dr if you're even remotely good with FSS, it's a great way to get in and bide your time. You never know, you might like it.
RippyTheGator wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:36 pm I got an offer for IFR Training starting April 9th for YVR region. :D Anyone else get an offer?
*waves* see you next month!

Last edited by radiovoice on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
thebigman111
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by thebigman111 »

Wow thanks for that good luck on your training !
How many years did you have to wait before starting as FSS and getting on an IFR course

radiovoice
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by radiovoice »

thebigman111 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:35 am Wow thanks for that good luck on your training !
How many years did you have to wait before starting as FSS and getting on an IFR course
Thanks!! I should also add to the above: I love FSS now. I was initially disappointed because it wasn’t what I was dreaming of, but I got over that super quick. I thought I said that up there and after re-reading I feel like I came off whiny. I’d be fully content staying put if the opportunity wasn’t here, but I can’t not try!

As for your question, it took me 5 years to get into the cross training program, but it was closed for 4.5 of those years. If you prove yourself a good worker and show potential, they’re willing to work with you on your goals. Just don’t present yourself as a “I’m only here until I can be over there.” type person, because that rarely curries favour with management.

Good luck to you too! FSS And ATC are adventures no matter what you end up in.

Last edited by radiovoice on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
thebigman111
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by thebigman111 »

radiovoice wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:01 am
thebigman111 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:35 am Wow thanks for that good luck on your training !
Thanks!! I should also add to the above: I love FSS now. I was initially disappointed because it wasn’t what I was dreaming of, but I got over that super quick. I thought I said that up there and after re-reading I feel like I came off whiny. I’d be fully content staying put if the opportunity wasn’t here, but I can’t not try! I also have return rights so if I’m unsuccessful I just slide back into my cozy job.

As for your question, it took me 5 years to get into the cross training program, but it was closed for 4.5 of those years. If you prove yourself a good worker and show potential, they’re willing to work with you on your goals. Just don’t present yourself as a “I’m only here until I can be over there.” type person, because that rarely curries favour with management.

Good luck to you too! FSS And ATC are adventures no matter what you end up in.
Awesome! Thanks for the in-depth answer really appreciate it

RippyTheGator
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RippyTheGator »

RippyTheGator wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:36 pm I got an offer for IFR Training starting April 9th for YVR region. :D Anyone else get an offer?
*waves* see you next month!
Awesome! Looking forward to meeting you and learning off of your experience !

Casey

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”