Advice on when to apply to Nav Canada

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

going_around
Rank 0
Rank 0

Advice on when to apply to Nav Canada

Post by going_around »

I would like to apply to Nav Canada, but the hiring timeline has been giving me a bit of a headache. I know it can take years sometimes, so I want to apply early, but I probably can't start training for another 2 years. If I get an offer before then, I would have a very difficult decision to make about leaving my current position. After 2 years though, I could leave for ATC training whenever, and would jump at the chance if it were given to me. So I have a few questions:
  • When should I start the application process? Statistically I probably won't even make it through, so is it silly to worry about receiving an offer too soon?
  • If I don't get through I'll be reapplying after a year, so maybe it's good to have the experience?
  • Would they hold it against me if I did get an offer and declined due to timing?

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Advice on when to apply to Nav Canada

Post by Lotro »

It's difficult to build your life around becoming an air traffic controller. Between selection timelines, success rates and staff movement around the towers there are no guarantees until you're finally licensed.

The best advice often given is to apply, and then continue to live your life (essentially forgetting that you applied). If/when you get an offer, evaluate your situation and make a decision accordingly.

With that in mind, apply now and see what happens. If you make it through the selection process and get a training offer, think hard before you turn it down, you may not get another one.

Searching on this board will give you an idea about the course loads in each FIR. If you applied now, I'd hazard a pure guess that the earliest you'd get a course would be spring 2019.

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Advice on when to apply to Nav Canada

Post by A346Dude »

If you 100% cannot start training in the next 2 years, I would wait at least another year before applying. If you get an offer in a year and have to turn it down there's a pretty good chance you will not get another, and that would be a pretty tough situation to face.

If you think there's a chance you could make it work if you got an offer earlier than expected, then apply now. For what it's worth I applied multiple times, and when I was selected it took 7 months from initial application to starting the course.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”