YVR In-person Assessment (Jan 2019)

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

hopefulguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: YVR In-person Assessment (Jan 2019)

Post by hopefulguy »

Hey @aslam, thanks for the update.

I actually really like the prospect of a grade 3 or lower tower, because it seems to be the perfect balance between stress, flexibility and salary. Plus most of the towers are in lower mainland, which is awesome. The only one I was iffy about is prince george, but I just went there during tree planting last month, and it was a beautiful little city and the prices were super dirt cheap. I probably won't even want to move to a bigger tower even given the opportunity.

It sucks now that we can't see our streams like before, cuz if I was streamed FSS then there's no need to even consider waiting for a VFR spot, but if I was streamed IFR, I really might want to wait it out and take a chance. Can always take a course if it's getting close to the deadline (assuming we get offered one...)

Which made me realize I actually have a question. How does the 18 month work exactly? Is it from our interview date or from the date we receive a red light or green light? Or is it from some other date? And Let's say our 18 months ends in January 2021, but offers for the April 2021 IFR course went out in december 2020. Do we still have a chance for a seat in that class? Or is that outside of the 18 months limit? Basically, is the limit on the course start date or the course offer date?
---------- ADS -----------

YVRFlier
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YVRFlier »

hopefulguy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:50 pm Hey @aslam, thanks for the update.

I actually really like the prospect of a grade 3 or lower tower, because it seems to be the perfect balance between stress, flexibility and salary. Plus most of the towers are in lower mainland, which is awesome. The only one I was iffy about is prince george, but I just went there during tree planting last month, and it was a beautiful little city and the prices were super dirt cheap. I probably won't even want to move to a bigger tower even given the opportunity.

It sucks now that we can't see our streams like before, cuz if I was streamed FSS then there's no need to even consider waiting for a VFR spot, but if I was streamed IFR, I really might want to wait it out and take a chance. Can always take a course if it's getting close to the deadline (assuming we get offered one...)

Which made me realize I actually have a question. How does the 18 month work exactly? Is it from our interview date or from the date we receive a red light or green light? Or is it from some other date? And Let's say our 18 months ends in January 2021, but offers for the April 2021 IFR course went out in december 2020. Do we still have a chance for a seat in that class? Or is that outside of the 18 months limit? Basically, is the limit on the course start date or the course offer date?

I just did my interview this morning. Same as the rest of you. I feel confident moving forward. As for the 18months, I asked. It will be 18months from your interview date to make it to the next stage. This is the OFFER. So as long as you get the offer, that moves you to the next stage, even if the start date is past the 18 months.

Maverick18
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Maverick18 »

I don't recall when they said we would know interview results. Does anyone know the timeline? The suspense is killing me.

aslam
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aslam »

Maverick18 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:52 am I don't recall when they said we would know interview results. Does anyone know the timeline? The suspense is killing me.
When I did my interview Blair told me that I should expect to get results by late July. Last I checked, however, my status still says Interview and I’ve received no email indicating a change in status. Hopefully results (positive ones) will come any day now.

Maverick18
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Maverick18 »

aslam wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:49 pm When I did my interview Blair told me that I should expect to get results by late July. Last I checked, however, my status still says Interview and I’ve received no email indicating a change in status. Hopefully results (positive ones) will come any day now.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat - no email & status still says interview. Hoping to get good news soon. Best of luck!

YVRFlier
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YVRFlier »

Maverick18 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:04 pm
aslam wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:49 pm When I did my interview Blair told me that I should expect to get results by late July. Last I checked, however, my status still says Interview and I’ve received no email indicating a change in status. Hopefully results (positive ones) will come any day now.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat - no email & status still says interview. Hoping to get good news soon. Best of luck!
Ugh, I've been checking myworkplace and here literally daily hoping to see an update. I was excited to see there was activity here, only to be :? to find out everyone is still in the same spot as I.

I was told that after the final interview (being July 19th.... Mine was June 27th) that we would get an update in a week to ten days. It's been almost 3 weeks. I'm assuming, or hoping really, that not getting the "red light-please try again" is a positive sign at this point. Like Aslam is saying, the suspense is killing me lol

Hopefully something positive comes soon!

hopefulguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hopefulguy »

I was told we'd get our results soon after the last interviews are over, like july 20something.

But yeah, I didn't even check my account, I figured if results were out there would be people posting here so I just have a tab of this forum open and f5 it once a day lol.

hopefulguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hopefulguy »

Well, I received an email informing that I did not make it, so if you guys didn't receive that email, that's probably good news for you. Grats to those who passed and good luck to you guys.

shantz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shantz »

Has anyone heard anything since?

My status has been stuck at 'Completed' since the in-person interview.

novemberalpha
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by novemberalpha »

shantz wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:12 pm Has anyone heard anything since?

My status has been stuck at 'Completed' since the in-person interview.
Haven't heard anything since I interviewed in late June, but my status was updated to 'Eligible for Offer' at the beginning of September.

As someone mentioned in another thread, negotiations between NAV and CATCA (the ATC union) are ongoing. Was mentioned in the interview that this would affect VFR courses put on in the FIR, but sounded like there should still be an IFR course April 2020. Guess we'll see.

shantz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shantz »

here's hoping... *fingers crossed*

stabilizedapproach
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stabilizedapproach »

Offers have gone out as of last week.

razask
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by razask »

Do you know if that includes FSS offers as well? Or just IFR/VFR ones

novemberalpha
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by novemberalpha »

stabilizedapproach wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:45 am Offers have gone out as of last week.
Are these offers for IFR in the spring?

Congrats if one came your way!

stabilizedapproach
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by stabilizedapproach »

AFAIK IFR

flyingalpaca
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyingalpaca »

Hi everyone! I did my FEAST in October and 2-day bootcamp in December. During both testing sessions they told us that there would be two IFR courses (enroute & terminal) beginning March 2020 and a VFR course beginning September/October 2020. I'll be starting the terminal course in March and got my offer at the end of last week!!

Happy to answer questions about the new application process if there are any, since we were the first group in the Vancouver FIR to go through FEAST. Cheers :)

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”