Initial "wonderlic" test

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

planelines
Rank 0
Rank 0

Initial "wonderlic" test

Post by planelines »

Hi everyone,

I am going to apply to NavCanada soon, hoping for IFR and as I am brand new to the entire process I was wondering about the initial online test...

Some people mentioned it's basically a "wonderlic" test, but a wonderlic test is administered in person, it needs an examiner as some of the math questions can be trivialized by a calculator. What are people's experiences here? Did you use a calculator? Does NavCanada just omit the wonderlic test questions that a calculator would trivialize?

Some people mentioned a new hiring site/process (myworkdayjobs.com) and it seems like NavCanada's own site description of the application process is not up to date with this new system. Is there, or is there no longer an essay component? Is the essay a part of the online section or is it only after you pass the above "wonderlic" 8 minute test?

thanks in advance!
---------- ADS -----------

kvcy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Initial "wonderlic" test

Post by kvcy »

Hey,
I'm an applicant myself at the moment.
Recently got invited to take the FEAST and had the same questions as you.
I asked their talent requisition team and they said that there is no essay component anymore and according to someone in training right now, if you're applying for YYZ, there isn't a phone interview anymore as well. They also mentioned that the website still needs to be updated so if you have further questions I'd suggestion you email the team.

As for the wonderlic test, it is administered online. I don't think they omit any math questions and they can't know if you use a calculator or not but I strongly recommend that you don't. For me, the math questions weren't difficult. If you're very worried, check the wonderlic website for sample tests and solve them until you get comfortable with those type of questions, it wi'll prepare you well.

Just a heads up, the wonderlic test results come out right away (mine came out the same day). If your application status remains as "assessment" it means you passed and you're in the pool of participants.

Good luck :)

hopefulguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hopefulguy »

You can cheat, but really, the online test is just there to make sure they (and the applicants themselves) don't waste more time if the particular applicant is clearly unsuitable.

Anyone who has a good chance of passing the subsequent hurdles would not need to cheat on the online test. To give you a rough idea, I finished the online test in 5 minutes, and I am certain I got at least 29/30 correct. But the in-person assessment was very difficult for me, and I couldn't finish most of the sections. In fact, I did very poorly for a couple of them. (This is the old w-sim in-person assessment, not the new FEAST in some of the FIRs)

I suggest applying as soon as possible because if you miss out on an assessment date, you could wait a very long time. I applied right after the previous assessment and had to wait around half a year to get my in-person assessment.

Also, there are no more essays in the new system I'm pretty sure.

Top_Gun
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Top_Gun »

Do you get an email that says you’ve passed the initial online testing or does your status just remain in assessment and you wait for an invitation to an in person assessment?

Thanks

JulietKilo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JulietKilo »

Try as many as the free wonderlic practice tests that you can find on google. They are very similar to what you will experience for the online test. They will help build your confidence and give you an idea of how limited you are for time.
If you research wonderlic testing, all questions are scored equally. This does not mean that they all have the same level of difficulty. There are certain questions meant to take up your time. Remember that they are ALL scored equally.
Good luck.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Skip the hard questions on the test, they are time traps, there is a cheap online course called "beat the wonderlic" which explains it all, it's a good course. The test is a game really, you only have about 5 seconds to answer each question and they are all the same value. Don't 2nd guess yourself either, some questions are so easy you'll think that it's a trick question, then you'll waste more time. Time is the biggest enemy in this test. For example: "5 bussines partners pool together different amounts of $, they made xxx amount over the year, how do the profits get divided up?" It'll take 30 seconds at least to figure that out, for 1 point?!? Skip it, especially since the next question will probably be " what is the 4th month of the year?"

papabear23
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by papabear23 »

Here's the deal, the process is VERY aptitude-based. In general, you have what it takes, or you don't. Just like aptitude tests for the CF or RCMP or whatever. The CF I've done.

Trying to cheat on the test, or get around the system, will only cause you bigger headaches and disappointment in the future.

The best thing you can do is get away from distractions (even your phone on vibrate), and make sure you're ready to sit it out.

It should be a very easy test, and if you really struggle with it, you probably should look elsewhere for your career. I've got an in-person test coming up in a week, and I know that if I fail it, it has nothing to do with my preparation (or lack there of). The process may suck, but there's a certain peace in knowing you just aren't a right fit.

I certainly don't want to seem like I'm on a high horse, because I haven't even gotten past the assessment yet, but I'm just explaining a rule of thumb. This is the type of job where that dumbo fisherman you know can absolutely score higher than you and get an offer if they simply have what it takes.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

papabear23 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:03 am Here's the deal, the process is VERY aptitude-based. In general, you have what it takes, or you don't. Just like aptitude tests for the CF or RCMP or whatever. The CF I've done.

Trying to cheat on the test, or get around the system, will only cause you bigger headaches and disappointment in the future.

The best thing you can do is get away from distractions (even your phone on vibrate), and make sure you're ready to sit it out.

It should be a very easy test, and if you really struggle with it, you probably should look elsewhere for your career. I've got an in-person test coming up in a week, and I know that if I fail it, it has nothing to do with my preparation (or lack there of). The process may suck, but there's a certain peace in knowing you just aren't a right fit.

I certainly don't want to seem like I'm on a high horse, because I haven't even gotten past the assessment yet, but I'm just explaining a rule of thumb. This is the type of job where that dumbo fisherman you know can absolutely score higher than you and get an offer if they simply have what it takes.
Skipping the multi step algebra problem question on the test isn't "cheating" or "getting around the system" they may even want to see you not fixating on something that you'll never be able to figure out in a short amount of time.

papabear23
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by papabear23 »

jakeandelwood wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:01 am
papabear23 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:03 am Here's the deal, the process is VERY aptitude-based. In general, you have what it takes, or you don't. Just like aptitude tests for the CF or RCMP or whatever. The CF I've done.

Skipping the multi step algebra problem question on the test isn't "cheating" or "getting around the system" they may even want to see you not fixating on something that you'll never be able to figure out in a short amount of time.
I didn't quote you, so I'm not sure why you felt my statement was directed at you. I apologise.

Let me rephrase, if you ARE thinking about ways around the test, then my previous statement applies. IMHO, the test is as basic as it gets. If you can't pass it without cheating or you have to prep for hours, I'd argue you should move along. I've had to pack my bags before. It sucks. But it allows you to save time not dwelling.

By all means, give it a shot, but do so purely and be honest with the process and yourself.

Again. I'm new to the NAV CANADA process, and by no means think I'm an expert. Quite honestly, there's a very good chance I'll be out of the running next week after my test. Just speaking from experience. I've sat next to guys who I never thought would pass a test in a million years, pass with flying colors. The opposite holds true for the "smart" guys.

The best way to tackle these types of tests is rest, and confidence with a little humility and humbleness thrown in. And quiet. Definitely need peace and quiet.

Again, sorry if my previous statement wasn't clear. It was meant to be more of a general warning than a direct reply.

Stay warm! It's cold here in NS today. Snowing, even.

letsallbeatcs
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by letsallbeatcs »

The Wonderlic is probably the least aptitude based part of the hiring process. With that being said, the Wonderlic really shouldn't be an issue to anyone looking to get invited to the in person assessments. Actual ATCs process a lot of simple arithmetic everyday and need a decent grasp of the English vocabulary for effective communication.

I think the rough cutoff is 27/30 (don't think anyone online has said they got invited with less than 27 answered). Everyone who I talked to during my assessment completed the Wonderlic test and were pretty confident they got perfect as well.

hopefulguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hopefulguy »

Nah, least aptitude based is the interview :P. I think I've seen people say they managed to get invited with a 24/25 questions answered in old reddit threads or something. Can't remember clearly. But yeah, I think it definitely should be easy enough that you don't need to strategize by skipping "hard" problems because there's plenty of time to do all the questions with time left to spare.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

I was just trying to help the original poster with some info to help prepare for that test but apparently that is something that shouldn't be done for fear of ending up with a job you that you are not a perfect fit for.

Byersb6
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Byersb6 »

I’ve done some Wanderlic tests as practice before I do my assessment. I scored a 31. Is this alright? I’m anxious clearly but feel confident that this is a path for me.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”