The odds of making it

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

SYT_YYZ
Rank 5
Rank 5

The odds of making it

Post by SYT_YYZ »

Anyone here who has made it through have any guesses on the odds of making it?
I find myself asking, do most people pass the online assesment but 5 percent pass FEAST.... or is the online assessment a somewhat decent determiner of being able to likely pass FEAST.
Thanks!

I do will be doing Feast on Friday. Yum.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by SYT_YYZ on Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Cessna Pilot: "Big airport with a little Cessna 150 overhead, please identify yourself!"

Re: The odds of making it

Post by kvcy »

Hey,

From what I gathered from past posts, they invite 150 or 250 (not sure if one of the posters had a typo) applicants for FEAST and try to take 30 onto the next step.

Im taking the FEAST on Sunday. Good luck!

SYT_YYZ
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SYT_YYZ »

Thanks so much for the info!! All the best Sunday!

Lost Cessna Pilot: "Big airport with a little Cessna 150 overhead, please identify yourself!"

Post by estrela20 »

Hi,
I am in YEG and went through FEAST late December 2018. I believe they invited 100 of us to take FEAST, then 20 got called back to the 2 day in-person assessment (held late January) and 10 got offered a spot in training for spring 2019. I just received an IFR offer about 2 weeks ago :)

Good luck this week! Make sure you rest the day before.
SYT_YYZ wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:13 pm Anyone here who has made it through have any guesses on the odds of making it?
I find myself asking, do most people pass the online assesment but 5 percent pass FEAST.... or is the online assessment a somewhat decent determined of being able to likely pass FEAST.
Thanks!

I do will be doing Feast on Friday. Yum.

hopefulguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hopefulguy »

I don't know how the new FEAST changes things, and I'm sure it does change things a lot.

But for the old w-sim assessments, according to Joanne, 3% of applicants are invited to training. And from the website or somewhere, I read that 40% of applicants are successful for the online testing (but not necessarily selected for the next round).

Ssauvage87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ssauvage87 »

i was in the first feast session in YYZ in april 2018, they took 250 people over 10 different days, and kept the top 30 people (entirely computer scored) and invited them to the 2-day bootcamp, from there it was for a training class of 12 IFR plus a couple VFR. but once at that stage its a little less about eliminating people and more about finding room kinda thing. like you might be given confirmed spot in next available course or offered standby, or standby with the stipulation that if something doesnt open up for this upcoming course that youll be given a confirmed spot in the next one, or asked to skip a course intake, or declined outright and asked to reapply in 18 months. (which be thankful of that, in europe where FEAST originated, if you fail you are banned for life)

hopefulguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hopefulguy »

I wonder why. From what I gathered, we only had about 50 people in the two days of testing at Vancouver. Supposedly we'll also have that many spots for IFR + VFR + FSS? I don't think vancouver class sizes are significantly smaller.

Does that mean Toronto is much more competitive than vancouver? Or does that mean they are able to test a lot more people with the new FEAST system? Or am I mistaken, and they will only take (15/250*50 ~=3) around 3 people instead of the 10-20ish I expected? I hope it's not the latter case...

nvcatc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by nvcatc »

The FIRs using FEAST vs the FIRs using the old w-sim do their intakes differently. In Vancouver where you’re still doing the w-sim, there is no guaranteed number of intakes from each testing session like what they’re doing with FEAST. You’re competing with people who are already in the pool/passed their interviews from previous testing sessions, as well as people coming in off employee referral.

SYT_YYZ
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SYT_YYZ »

Do you know of anyone who makes it after failing feast the first time?
I write tomorrow.
My kid broke her arm and had emergency surgery with a plate and pins put in.
I've spent half the week on a hospital chair and the other half up most of the night with her.
I'm a little nervous about writing tomorrow in my situation. Going to try hard to get a good night sleep tonight.

Post by Ssauvage87 »

SYT_YYZ wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:27 am Do you know of anyone who makes it after failing feast the first time?
I write tomorrow.
My kid broke her arm and had emergency surgery with a plate and pins put in.
I've spent half the week on a hospital chair and the other half up most of the night with her.
I'm a little nervous about writing tomorrow in my situation. Going to try hard to get a good night sleep tonight.
Well the program was just started in April last year and those that failed couldn't reapply for 18 months so no one has had the chance to make it after failing the first time yet.

SYT_YYZ
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SYT_YYZ »

Ah, for some reason I thought it had been running slightly longer.
Fingers crossed if it's not this time around, in 18 mos my children give up the outdoors for netflix. :lol:

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”