Toronto FIR Tower Salaries

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

mofoman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Toronto FIR Tower Salaries

Post by mofoman »

I understand that some or many newly licensed VFR controllers are placed in the Tower Progression Plan (TPP) in the Toronto FIR. That being said, I have the following questions:

1) What are the base salary ranges for VFR in towers such as Hamilton, Waterloo?

2) What is the location premium for these lower tier towers?

3) Do these towers operates 24/7?

4) Is there opportunity for OT?

5) Factoring in base salary, location premium, potential OT and shift premiums, what could a typical VFR Controller earn at a tower like Hamilton?

6) What are the chances of progressing to YYZ under the TPP?

Thanks,

Mofoman
Current Status: YYZ FEAST ASSESSMENT Sept 2019
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by mofoman on Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whatisttv
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Toronto FIR Tower Salaries

Post by whatisttv »

I'm not 100% certain on other questions of yours so I'll just answer 5B) yes, you WILL be brought back to YYZ under the TPP. YYZ tower needs people.

MaintainVFR
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MaintainVFR »

1. Hamilton 75k-110k after 10 years
Waterloo 80k-117k after 10

2.Hamilton about 3k
Waterloo about 6.5k

3. In CFS YHM is 24 hours, YKF 07-23 lcl

4. Don’t know, depends on staffing levels. Most towers have at least some OT in the summer when vacations are happening unless seriously overstaffed.

5. 80k to start with zero OT. OT is at 2x regular rate.

5. If you qualify and still want to go to YYZ then they will take you ASAP

Edit: Twr hrs

mofoman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mofoman »

Thanks Whatisttv (lol... fixed my numbering typo) and MaintainVFR.

Mayor_McCheese
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mayor_McCheese »

mofoman wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:19 am I understand that some or many newly licensed VFR controllers are placed in the Tower Progression Plan (TPP) in the Toronto FIR. That being said, I have the following questions:
A quick correction on the wording you used. "newly licensed VFR controllers are placed in the Tower Progression Plan (TPP) in the Toronto FIR".

Students currently training are placed in the Tower Progression Plan, you would still need to license (qualify) at one of the "feeder" towers, which is by no means a sure thing after the basic VFR course.

Also, the numbers quoted above, while accurate, are base numbers, and the potential for earning much more is very real.

mofoman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mofoman »

Mayor_McCheese wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:38 pm
mofoman wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:19 am I understand that some or many newly licensed VFR controllers are placed in the Tower Progression Plan (TPP) in the Toronto FIR. That being said, I have the following questions:
A quick correction on the wording you used. "newly licensed VFR controllers are placed in the Tower Progression Plan (TPP) in the Toronto FIR".

Students currently training are placed in the Tower Progression Plan, you would still need to license (qualify) at one of the "feeder" towers, which is by no means a sure thing after the basic VFR course.

Also, the numbers quoted above, while accurate, are base numbers, and the potential for earning much more is very real.
Thanks for the clarification and response. When you say, "the potential for earnings much more is very real", is that within the lower tier towers mentioned or if one moves to a tower like Pearson?

Mofoman

mofoman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mofoman »

mofoman wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:51 pm

Thanks for the clarification and response. When you say, "the potential for earning much more is very real", is that within the lower tier towers mentioned or if one moves to a tower like Pearson?

Mofoman

MaintainVFR
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MaintainVFR »

mofoman wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:51 pm

Thanks for the clarification and response. When you say, "the potential for earnings much more is very real", is that within the lower tier towers mentioned or if one moves to a tower like Pearson?

Mofoman
It depends on how much OT is available at the unit but you could add 50% or more to your annual if there’s short staffing.

Mayor_McCheese
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mayor_McCheese »

MaintainVFR wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:25 pm
It depends on how much OT is available at the unit but you could add 50% or more to your annual if there’s short staffing.
Exactly. If you're willing to work the OT when it's available (and as mentioned above, almost all units have some, particularly in the summer when vacation time is in demand), as well as shift premiums (evenings, midnights, weekends etc...)

mofoman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mofoman »

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”