YYZ Feb. 2020

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: YYZ Feb. 2020

Post by levinqute »

M92 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:11 pm
levinqute wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:09 am With the recent announcement I really doubt that we will have assessments anytime soon. Cant see this dying down in the summer for us to start this fall I know its the last thing to worry about rn but unfortunate timing for all of us.

Good luck to everyone out there stay safe!
M92 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:54 pm Now worries, everyone’s probably really stressed about the current situation! I was wondering the same too about FSS, thanks for the tip! I just may have to!
Did you try reaching out to NC?
I did, no timelines projected as it’s delayed. Hiring is not but the recruitment and initiatives are. Aka they still are recruiting but due to COVID19 they’re putting things on hold as many have suggested.
Oh yea of course, postponed until the summer I presume.

I was just wondering if you had to do another assessment for FSS
---------- ADS -----------

digitallic
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by digitallic »

i can tell you all right now that we will probably not have a bootcamp for quite a long time. Navcanada is a private business (with public regulation) and their operational requirements have changed drastically. Licensed controllers have recently lost their overtime hours and airlines are on the verge of collapse as the skies are virtually empty. Even if this covid thing blows over in the near future, I would bet the house that Navcanada will be on a prolonged hiring freeze due to market conditions. Let's hope i'm wrong. Stay safe out there!

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

digitallic wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:32 am i can tell you all right now that we will probably not have a bootcamp for quite a long time. Navcanada is a private business (with public regulation) and their operational requirements have changed drastically. Licensed controllers have recently lost their overtime hours and airlines are on the verge of collapse as the skies are virtually empty. Even if this covid thing blows over in the near future, I would bet the house that Navcanada will be on a prolonged hiring freeze due to market conditions. Let's hope i'm wrong. Stay safe out there!
It's really too early to advance any sort of comment or statement on what is going to happen. All I can say is in the past Nav Canada has completely stopped training and it we are still trying to catch up 19 years later. They have learned from this. I would be very surprised if they did a complete hiring freeze ,maybe a reduction.

Mayor_McCheese
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mayor_McCheese »

Braun wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:26 am
digitallic wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:32 am i can tell you all right now that we will probably not have a bootcamp for quite a long time. Navcanada is a private business (with public regulation) and their operational requirements have changed drastically. Licensed controllers have recently lost their overtime hours and airlines are on the verge of collapse as the skies are virtually empty. Even if this covid thing blows over in the near future, I would bet the house that Navcanada will be on a prolonged hiring freeze due to market conditions. Let's hope i'm wrong. Stay safe out there!
It's really too early to advance any sort of comment or statement on what is going to happen. All I can say is in the past Nav Canada has completely stopped training and it we are still trying to catch up 19 years later. They have learned from this. I would be very surprised if they did a complete hiring freeze ,maybe a reduction.
I agree with Braun. There has finally been some progress made at getting us up to decent staffing numbers, so putting a complete freeze on long term would not help the situation. People are still getting older, retirements will still happen, and there needs to be new people to fill those holes. It can take a long time to get someone qualified, and the company & union won't want to be caught with their pants down when traffic increases again.

That being said, under the current circumstances, most (if not all) training has been stopped for now, including OJT in an attempt to keep the # of people in the units at any given time to a minimum.

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by levinqute »

Over on reddit trainees were stating that their training was pushed back to May (with pay). So I think we have a good chance of having bootcamp in mid to late May with our training still scheduled for Fall. Joanne also told me that they are still planning on training for the fall but that was last week.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

levinqute wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:23 am Over on reddit trainees were stating that their training was pushed back to May (with pay). So I think we have a good chance of having bootcamp in mid to late May with our training still scheduled for Fall. Joanne also told me that they are still planning on training for the fall but that was last week.
May was just an initial time frame, I would buy into it too much. I’d be happy if we were back on our schedules in May but it won’t happen. Like you said, last week might as well of been a year ago with the pace of everything that’s happening. We are trying to find solutions on how to avoid worst case scenarios in case of infection. Unfortunately training is really not a priority right now, maintenance of service is. I feel for all the applicants and trainees. Hopefully we can restart ASAP.

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by levinqute »

Braun wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:38 am
levinqute wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:23 am Over on reddit trainees were stating that their training was pushed back to May (with pay). So I think we have a good chance of having bootcamp in mid to late May with our training still scheduled for Fall. Joanne also told me that they are still planning on training for the fall but that was last week.
May was just an initial time frame, I would buy into it too much. I’d be happy if we were back on our schedules in May but it won’t happen. Like you said, last week might as well of been a year ago with the pace of everything that’s happening. We are trying to find solutions on how to avoid worst case scenarios in case of infection. Unfortunately training is really not a priority right now, maintenance of service is. I feel for all the applicants and trainees. Hopefully we can restart ASAP.
Ah I see. I definitely understand training/assessments arent a priority. Stay safe out there! How are things at the centres? Are they making you wear gloves/masks and disinfecting things? Layoffs as well?

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

levinqute wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:00 am
Braun wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:38 am
Ah I see. I definitely understand training/assessments arent a priority. Stay safe out there! How are things at the centres? Are they making you wear gloves/masks and disinfecting things? Layoffs as well?
No layoffs yet. We disinfect the work positions when we get relived and relieve someone. Most likely transitioning to team based shifts to isolate as much as possible. Still trying to figure it all out.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”