Bootcamp Questions

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

shadow17
Rank 0
Rank 0

Bootcamp Questions

Post by shadow17 »

So now that this wait is over and its a countdown for YEG boot camp coming up in a couple weeks, I'm wondering if anyone has any insights to share about the boot camp. I assume there can be no specifics but I'm hoping for a little info if anyone can share?

TIA!
---------- ADS -----------

atcthrowawayyy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Bootcamp Questions

Post by atcthrowawayyy »

Like you would for any job/hiring related event, go there fresh and well rested.

Prepare for it like a job interview, and be ready for whatever is thrown at you.

Only thing I'd share is: There is something that you will be tested on the second day. You will be given the material that you can take with you overnight to prepare.

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by levinqute »

From my research:
They are 1on1 interviews with basic behavioural questions and you should definitely know stuff about NAVCAN and not just basic stuff like IFR/VFR but what they do as a company as a whole.
Then as atcthrowaway mentioned there is a study package for day2.

Anyone willing to confirm its a 1on1 interview and not a group interview? The instuctor mentioned group activities are these assessments or group interviews?

Also hows the dress code? Business formal/suited up both days?

We might also do FEAST3.

flyingalpaca
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyingalpaca »

There wasn't any specific dress code that was provided for us, and in my boot camp cohort we had people showing up in a suit and others in a sweat suit. It's really up to you - I personally believe in making a good impression (but also feeling comfortable enough to do my best) so I wore business casual.

Also, lunch was provided for us! There was no mention of that in the instructions and I don't want to guarantee it'll happen for yours but it /might/?

Good luck!!!

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

:shock:
flyingalpaca wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:22 am There wasn't any specific dress code that was provided for us, and in my boot camp cohort we had people showing up in a suit and others in a sweat suit. It's really up to you - I personally believe in making a good impression (but also feeling comfortable enough to do my best) so I wore business casual.

Also, lunch was provided for us! There was no mention of that in the instructions and I don't want to guarantee it'll happen for yours but it /might/?

Good luck!!!
Please, don’t wear a sweat suit. Business casual is perfect. Be comfortable but remember you are applying for a job.

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by levinqute »

flyingalpaca wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:22 am There wasn't any specific dress code that was provided for us, and in my boot camp cohort we had people showing up in a suit and others in a sweat suit. It's really up to you - I personally believe in making a good impression (but also feeling comfortable enough to do my best) so I wore business casual.

Good luck!!!
Thanks for the info! Are the boot camp days 8 hours each too?
Braun wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:36 am :shock:

Good luck!!!
Please, don’t wear a sweat suit. Business casual is perfect. Be comfortable but remember you are applying for a job.
You think a suit is overdressing? Shirt and dress pants/chinos good enough?

Thanks.

atcthrowawayyy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atcthrowawayyy »

levinqute wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:23 am

Good luck!!!
Thanks for the info! Are the boot camp days 8 hours each too?
Braun wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:36 am :shock:

Good luck!!!
You think a suit is overdressing? Shirt and dress pants/chinos good enough?

Thanks.
They say 8 hours but you might be done an hour or so earlier, especially on the second day.

I don't think suit is overdressing, but shirt and dress pants are good enough as well.

atcthrowawayyy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atcthrowawayyy »

Funny story from boot camp...

Last year in YYZ FIR, we had a candidate who arrived 1.5 hours late on the first day. Reason? He drove to the Air Canada Centre (ACC!) which is in downtown toronto, instead of Toronto ACC (which is in middle of pearson). He did pretty good though, good enough to get offered IFR!

Now that I think of it, it is a head scratcher for me, because he had already been to the Toronto ACC for FEAST, then how did he manage to get it wrong on the second assesment?! :shock:

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by levinqute »

atcthrowawayyy wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:39 am Funny story from boot camp...

Last year in YYZ FIR, we had a candidate who arrived 1.5 hours late on the first day. Reason? He drove to the Air Canada Centre (ACC!) which is in downtown toronto, instead of Toronto ACC (which is in middle of pearson). He did pretty good though, good enough to get offered IFR!

Now that I think of it, it is a head scratcher for me, because he had already been to the Toronto ACC for FEAST, then how did he manage to get it wrong on the second assesment?! :shock:
Lmao he must have interviewed well and killed his assessments. :smt040

Also thanks for the info above.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

Suit isn’t overdressing but a dress shirt/polo and clean pants is fine. We have a very relax dress code since we don’t actually interact with people (probably why we are so weird) once on the job it’s just about looking professional. No controller wears suits. For a job interview it’s fine. Personally I would do dress shirt.

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by levinqute »

Braun wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:55 am Suit isn’t overdressing but a dress shirt/polo and clean pants is fine. We have a very relax dress code since we don’t actually interact with people (probably why we are so weird) once on the job it’s just about looking professional. No controller wears suits. For a job interview it’s fine. Personally I would do dress shirt.
In the ACC tour video ln youtube there were people chilling in shirt and shorts lol. I assume as long as its not inappropriate its ok once your on the job.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

levinqute wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:08 am
Braun wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:55 am Suit isn’t overdressing but a dress shirt/polo and clean pants is fine. We have a very relax dress code since we don’t actually interact with people (probably why we are so weird) once on the job it’s just about looking professional. No controller wears suits. For a job interview it’s fine. Personally I would do dress shirt.
In the ACC tour video ln youtube there were people chilling in shirt and shorts lol. I assume as long as its not inappropriate its ok once your on the job.
First of all I was talking about the job interview. Feel free to wear what you want to your interview. Second, wearing a T-shirt and shorts to work can be fine but everyone has their own opinion on what looks professional. If you get hired by Nav I suggest you read the code of conduct and see what it says on dress code.

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by levinqute »

Braun wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:48 am
First of all I was talking about the job interview. Feel free to wear what you want to your interview. Second, wearing a T-shirt and shorts to work can be fine but everyone has their own opinion on what looks professional. If you get hired by Nav I suggest you read the code of conduct and see what it says on dress code.
1.Yes I am aware im the one who asked the question
2.I was merely pointing out how casual the dress code seems to be on the job. Sorry if I somehow offended you.

Thanks for the info.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

I’m not offended at all.

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by levinqute »

Braun wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:36 am I’m not offended at all.
:smt023

glide slope
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by glide slope »

i'm renting a tuxedo.

Ksar
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ksar »

glide slope wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:13 am

i'm renting a tuxedo.

You don’t own one? Definitely don’t admit that in interview.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”