Ontario schools to close after April break.

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Ontario schools to close after April break.

Post by montado »

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-scho ... -1.5383711

Sorry for everyone with kids who will now have to juggle teaching them at home. Definitely not an easy task to manage if working a full schedule.

A week ago the message was schools need to be open because it’s more damaging to close. We also heard about how cases are very low in school. Then today what happens? In typical Doug Ford fashion the science changes and we need to shut down harder.

@#$! this government. Why am I even upset right now history has been repeating itself for the past 12 months. I don’t know why I expected something better than some idiotic hypocrisy and daily change in “science”. Listen to the guy talk... “science science variants, let me pass the question to someone else “ constant lies out of the ford government.
---------- ADS -----------

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Ontario schools to close after April break.

Post by Bede »

If you were in charge, what would you do?

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

The most vulnerable people are vaccinated.

Check out cases vs deaths, look like peaks of deaths trail peaks of cases by a couple weeks.
304500C2-AC83-486B-82CB-9BEE04DBC170.jpeg
304500C2-AC83-486B-82CB-9BEE04DBC170.jpeg (128.19 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
E9C7928A-759B-42C7-8950-7E89C272A937.jpeg
E9C7928A-759B-42C7-8950-7E89C272A937.jpeg (138.29 KiB) Viewed 1488 times
If I was in charge what would I do? I would make decisions based on health, and not politics. Clearly a big part of this decision being made is the leverage of the powerful teachers unions.

The goal post keeps moving. It can be about saving lives until the elderly are vaccinated, then obviously now it’s not about lives because deaths are very low. I have all sorts of ideas of what could be done better, you just want me to spew them out so you can remind me I’m not an expert and just trust the science.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

montado wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:22 pm The goal post keeps moving. It can be about saving lives until the elderly are vaccinated, then obviously now it’s not about lives because deaths are very low. I have all sorts of ideas of what could be done better, you just want me to spew them out so you can remind me I’m not an expert and just trust the science.
I share your frustration with how this pandemic has been handled. We differ however, in that death is not the sole metric that determines whether measures are justified or not for me. It is not the only nontrivial outcome of this disease. The decline in death rate is evidence that we're gaining ground against this virus, not that we have defeated it well enough.

It is but one challenge to overcome, and it appears we indeed have overcome it. There's still overflowing hospitals (people are coming in to hospitals faster than they're leaving), cancelled surgeries (surgery beds are sadly mostly filled with Covid patients and even Sick Kids has had to take overflow adult patients), and substandard care for trivial things like myocardial infarctions, because everyone is too overwhelmed with the virus, for starters.

If your only metric is the death rate, you have a rather simplified view of the overall challenge we face.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:09 pm If your only metric is the death rate, you have a rather simplified view of the overall challenge we face.
8AE6DCD1-847B-438C-81C0-DDA84BA2311B.jpeg
8AE6DCD1-847B-438C-81C0-DDA84BA2311B.jpeg (50.51 KiB) Viewed 1431 times

Conflicting Traffic
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Conflicting Traffic »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:09 pm If your only metric is the death rate, you have a rather simplified view of the overall challenge we face.
Correction: not "simplified", simplistic.

----------------------------------------
Conflicting Traffic please advise.
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Conflicting Traffic wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:37 pm
Correction: not "simplified", simplistic.
Touché

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

With today's technology no one has to sit in a classroom and listen to a boring teacher when you can sit at home and listen to a boring teacher on Zoom,

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Bede wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:10 pm If you were in charge, what would you do?
Exactly.

Most couldn't run a lemonade stand on a scorching day.

Get the frustration, but this is hard.

How about cracking down on the underground rave parties among the kids out there?

“”Bob””
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by “”Bob”” »

If teacher’s salaries were tied to them actually going to work... ...this policy would end, immediately.

They are one of the few groups in this pandemic that have had their work directly affected by it yet bore none of the financial burdens for it.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:12 am
Exactly.

How about cracking down on the underground rave parties among the kids out there?
How about telling the boomer bosses YES people can actually do there job in their home, I know so many people commuting 50 or 100km away to do a job that has no need to be in their building.

redlaser wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:41 am With today's technology no one has to sit in a classroom and listen to a boring teacher when you can sit at home and listen to a boring teacher on Zoom,
I personally think the schools should close, but does anyone realize the social interaction aspect is a big part of why school is important?

ToolShed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ToolShed »

newlygrounded wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:43 am
rookiepilot wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:12 am
Exactly.

How about telling the boomer bosses YES people can actually do there job in their home, I know so many people commuting 50 or 100km away to do a job that has no need to be in their building.

redlaser wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:41 am With today's technology no one has to sit in a classroom and listen to a boring teacher when you can sit at home and listen to a boring teacher on Zoom,
I personally think the schools should close, but does anyone realize the social interaction aspect is a big part of why school is important?
This is the real LEARNING TO BE HUMAN. Social skills are not taught. They are adapted from observing and repeating.
But what do I know. I'm just a pilot.

“”Bob””
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by “”Bob”” »

Social skills taught in school.

I’m sure that I’m not alone that I would have been quite happy at dispensing with the exclusive social cliques and endless public humiliation at the hands of other students who may have had an excuse and public educators who definitely did not.

My few successes in social circles are in spite of public education, not because of it.

Return to “Covid”