The media and covid.

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: The media and covid.

Post by montado »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:21 am
montado wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:22 am And if you feel somewhat sick, heck it can be a social outing for some to just chat with a doctor anyways, won’t cost a penny.
This is truly a bizarre post. How much time have you spent in an ER waiting to see a DR?

I have, and it's not pleasant. Try thinking before you post.
It’s bizarre because it’s a fact. Lonely people visit doctors for the social aspect. You don’t think covid fear drives more people to the hospital/doctors for reasons other than severe covid symptoms? Seniors are more lonely than ever with covid going on.

https://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/new ... more-often

Canadians love to use their healthcare. It’s like massage benefits, “I don’t need a massage but I have the benefit so I should use it”. Why do you think primary care costs Canadians so much? Because it’s “free”.
---------- ADS -----------

piperdriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by piperdriver »

Dr. DE villa a couple weeks ago reported. "Anecdotally, I am hearing from colleagues at Toronto hospitals that increasingly admissions are of younger people and often directly to the ICU," That's great could you back up your statement with some hard data, I am still waiting. Apparently anecdotal evidence is now Science :rolleyes:

Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

An interesting point was made that I had not considered before. In general, I am a pro-mask person and have been extremely careful, especially this year. In other words, Wear Your Damn Mask and don't congregate.

But I do wonder now if it is possible that some hospitals have been admitting people with lesser symptoms than they would have previously as a precaution. Not the ICU area, just the general area.

No conspiracy, no evidence, just curious. Dont have any medical contacts but if anybody does, it would be interesting to try to find out if they have heard of any hospitals(at least until recently) have been admitting people with symptoms that a flu person a couple of years ago would have stayed home. Different disease so if it is the case, it may be for good reason.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:45 pm
Yet there are only so many doctors and nurses, personally I wouldn't want to be turned away from a car accident or a hundred other things, because no limits were ever established, and I know from first hand information the hospitals here in Toronto have been pushed hard -- it's not fake news. My nurse friend, is nearing 60. Taken lots of extra shifts. She's not superhuman though.

I know of an overseas person -- friend of friends -- who just had to be evaced. No ICU beds, they sent her to the Soo.

Let me repeat -- because obviously people can't seem to read. Or more likely, would rather hear themselves talk.

This friend of a friend was Medevac'd from a third world country, needed an ICU bed here. Don't think a Covid case, who cares.

Had to wait in the third world country for 2 extra days -- no ICU beds in Toronto or anywhere nearby. Finally found one in Sault St Marie.

I'm sure its fake news like this whole thing is though. :roll:

Dronepiper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Dronepiper »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:39 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:45 pm
Yet there are only so many doctors and nurses, personally I wouldn't want to be turned away from a car accident or a hundred other things, because no limits were ever established, and I know from first hand information the hospitals here in Toronto have been pushed hard -- it's not fake news. My nurse friend, is nearing 60. Taken lots of extra shifts. She's not superhuman though.

I know of an overseas person -- friend of friends -- who just had to be evaced. No ICU beds, they sent her to the Soo.

Let me repeat -- because obviously people can't seem to read. Or more likely, would rather hear themselves talk.

This friend of a friend was Medevac'd from a third world country, needed an ICU bed here. Don't think a Covid case, who cares.

Had to wait in the third world country for 2 extra days -- no ICU beds in Toronto or anywhere nearby. Finally found one in Sault St Marie.

I'm sure its fake news like this whole thing is though. :roll:

I don’t believe it’s fake news, buttttt this stuff happens all the time!!!!! Here is 2 pictures showing hospital capacity in 2016/2015. The only difference this year is the media can make money by scaring people with covid. So they post these stories more often. Also the last picture is current capacity in Toronto hospitals. You need to think!!!!!!!!

Attachments
19B54F60-6801-4C95-8FAE-E862CC8987F2.png
19B54F60-6801-4C95-8FAE-E862CC8987F2.png (304.18 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
EA67C349-2612-45D7-95EF-7108698AF6CA.png
EA67C349-2612-45D7-95EF-7108698AF6CA.png (311.65 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
2E5F3AAF-C2BB-4FBF-8DAC-C4ABF9AD88FF.png
2E5F3AAF-C2BB-4FBF-8DAC-C4ABF9AD88FF.png (309.55 KiB) Viewed 1603 times
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The difference this year is that on top of full hospitals (in April!) we have 5,000 new people a day getting sick with a disease, many more of whom are going to need hospitalization about two weeks after diagnosis. And that daily number of new infections is still increasing rapidly.

Pretty crappy if you get a positive test result this week, wondering if there's going to be a place for you in ICU if you need it in a week or two, wouldn't you say?

None of that was true in 2015/16, was it?

Perhaps it's just media hysteria, though.

If friends and family of - well, you know who you are - get sick, and need hospitalization, are you going to post an apology on here?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Photofly what you are asking is will people have an emotional response. They definitely will, because emotions can make you feel ridiculous things. Emotions can make you throw logic out the window. None of that changes any of the statistics with covid. No emotional response changes whether policy has been effective or not. We don’t have to double down to an emotional response, because doubling down on the same, will give you the same results.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Speaking of media and COVID.... just saying

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/ ... passengers

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

photofly wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:31 pm The difference this year is that on top of full hospitals (in April!) we have 5,000 new people a day getting sick with a disease, many more of whom are going to need hospitalization about two weeks after diagnosis. And that daily number of new infections is still increasing rapidly.

Pretty crappy if you get a positive test result this week, wondering if there's going to be a place for you in ICU if you need it in a week or two, wouldn't you say?

None of that was true in 2015/16, was it?

Perhaps it's just media hysteria, though.

If friends and family of - well, you know who you are - get sick, and need hospitalization, are you going to post an apology on here?
Canada has always had a hospital capacity problem. Besides, if you're in good general health, the statistics are overwhelmingly on your side. No need to panic. If they were serious, they would have put up many temporary facilities to handle the issue, as they've had more than a year to do so. Not doing anything about drives media panic p*rn, which in turn gives them justification for their harsh measures against the public.

I am unapologetic. If you take care of yourself and/or are not 80+ years old, you will probably be ok...statistically speaking.

JeppsOnFire
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JeppsOnFire »

The Hedgehog and the Fox
- Isaiah Berlin

Great intellectual book that may help explain the visceral differences of opinion regarding Covid.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

ReserveTank wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:11 am Canada has always had a hospital capacity problem. Besides, if you're in good general health, the statistics are overwhelmingly on your side. No need to panic. If they were serious, they would have put up many temporary facilities to handle the issue, as they've had more than a year to do so. Not doing anything about drives media panic p*rn, which in turn gives them justification for their harsh measures against the public.

I am unapologetic. If you take care of yourself and/or are not 80+ years old, you will probably be ok...statistically speaking.
Unless you have a heart attack, and arrive at the hospital to find it full.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:26 am
ReserveTank wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:11 am Canada has always had a hospital capacity problem. Besides, if you're in good general health, the statistics are overwhelmingly on your side. No need to panic. If they were serious, they would have put up many temporary facilities to handle the issue, as they've had more than a year to do so. Not doing anything about drives media panic p*rn, which in turn gives them justification for their harsh measures against the public.

Again, the gov't has had ample time to prepare. They were talking about "second wave, third wave..." a year ago. And again, the capacity problem is not new.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

ReserveTank wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:49 am

Again, the gov't has had ample time to prepare. They were talking about "second wave, third wave..." a year ago. And again, the capacity problem is not new.
Agreed, but regardless of whose feet the blame lies at, we're still in a world of shit here in Ontario.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
ToolShed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ToolShed »

How I feel about it....

https://youtu.be/w09rqkY0hbg

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

It's not buildings. It's staff. They aren't trained overnight.

I get it. The same forum that incessantly complains about pilot pay and lifting one finger more than necessary, wants nurses to work 24/7 until they all collapse.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

How much new entrants are being trained right now so that in a few years we can meet the demands of ICU’s and our healthcare system? Are they creating new spaces at universities?

I have this feeling next year, next decade, next pandemic, next flu season, we will keep hearing the same rhetoric. Hospitals are full, and we can’t train doctors and nurses over night. This is what we keep saying since the Spanish flu in 1918.

Add “ we can’t train new nurses over night” to the list of other stupid phrases such as “misinformation” and “new normal”

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:41 pm

It's not buildings. It's staff. They aren't trained overnight.
Once again, this is a problem with gov't unpreparedness, to a degree of malice. The healthcare system, including all of its facets has been short for decades. This is widely known. H1N1 swine flu was 12 years ago. Lessons learned? Action taken? Nah, just Tamiflu. It was then known that the system couldn't handle a regular flu season much less a pandemic. They did nothing about it, but instead of fixing this problem, they leveraged it to panic and abuse the public.
I get it. The same forum that incessantly complains about pilot pay and lifting one finger more than necessary, wants nurses to work 24/7 until they all collapse.
Give these guys a break...most of them will never touch a yoke again let alone squawk about work conditions.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Well let’s close golf courses and outdoor activities but flying thousands of liberal voters in weekly from India is ok. :roll:

https://nationalpost.com/news/amid-surg ... -in-canada

Flights from Delhi continue to land in Canada despite India’s daily tally of COVID-19 infections surging to a record over the weekend — and amid the emergence of a new “double mutant” variant in the country.

A federal government website that lists flights where someone has been confirmed to have been infected with COVID-19shows that from April 4 to April 16, there were 120 flights with a COVID-positive passenger or passengers.

Let’s Go Brandon
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Inverted2 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:14 am ...........but flying thousands of liberal voters in weekly from India is ok. :roll:
Wow..... that’s quite a take :rolleyes:

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

As far as I'm aware there are no bans on incoming flights to Canada since mandatory covid testing and quarantine was introduced. Do we really need more restrictions? And people are still playing golf here in BC. It's only Ontario that has banned golf, for some unknown reason...I suspect because Doug Ford doesn't understand science (not unlike quite a few avcanada posters).

Return to “Covid”