The media and covid.

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

The media and covid.

Post by montado »

Looks like covid and fear is one of the best things to ever happen to CNN.
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: The media and covid.

Post by CpnCrunch »

From wikipedia: "Project Veritas uses entrapment[23] to generate bad publicity for its targets,[2] and has propagated disinformation[14] and conspiracy theories[56] in its videos and operations."

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

CpnCrunch wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:59 am From wikipedia: "Project Veritas uses entrapment[23] to generate bad publicity for its targets,[2] and has propagated disinformation[14] and conspiracy theories[56] in its videos and operations."
Oh right..Trust CNN, got it lol.

They got this guy drunk and he is bragging about his job. Maybe you don’t like the methods they used :lol:

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

montado wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:06 am

They got this guy drunk and he is bragging about his job. Maybe you don’t like the methods they used :lol:
No I didn't even bother watching the video, as the source is bullshit. It's easy enough to fact check stories yourself if you can be bothered.

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

CpnCrunch wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:59 am From wikipedia: "Project Veritas uses entrapment[23] to generate bad publicity for its targets,[2] and has propagated disinformation[14] and conspiracy theories[56] in its videos and operations."
LOL Wikipedia is facts. Okaaaay.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Is project veritas biased? Of course. They went into this with an objective to prove an argument they knew they already wanted to formulate. Kind of the same way mainstream media does things no?

I think we should of course question everything we see in the media. I know my dad was so glued to cnn is plasma screen had the cnn logo burned into it. Probably not a healthy thing :lol:.

But knowing that they wanted to sway you into a certain belief and make you doubt what you see in the news, fact is this guy is on camera laying it out with his own words. Looks like they set him up on a date, got him a little drunk and he was so excited to share with the woman all about what it’s like to work for CNN. Pretty raw way to try and gather evidence :lol:.

Conflicting Traffic
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Conflicting Traffic »

ReserveTank wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:35 am
LOL Wikipedia is facts. Okaaaay.
Wikipedia is actually a pretty good source of information, especially as a starting point when you're learning about a new subject. Like all media though, it should be fact checked. This is especially important for controversial subjects, including subjects with manufactured controversy like climate change and vaccines. A good place to start the fact checking process is with the citations included in most articles. In this particular case, note that there are 4 citations provided for this single sentence.

----------------------------------------
Conflicting Traffic please advise.
Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

CpnCrunch wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:15 am
montado wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:06 am

No I didn't even bother watching the video, as the source is bullshit. It's easy enough to fact check stories yourself if you can be bothered.
Says it all. Didn't watch the video but tells us it is bullshit. I challenge you to actually watch the first installment and comment on what he says.
Planning on watching part 2 soon.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Dh8Classic wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:03 am
Says it all. Didn't watch the video but tells us it is bullshit. I challenge you to actually watch the first installment and comment on what he says.
I said the source (Project Veritas) is shit. Why should I waste my time watching every ridiculous conspiracy theory video? If you can't make your point in a single paragrah with a reliable source, it's not worth my time.

Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

CpnCrunch wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:37 am
Dh8Classic wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:03 am
I said the source (Project Veritas) is shit. Why should I waste my time watching every ridiculous conspiracy theory video? If you can't make your point in a single paragrah with a reliable source, it's not worth my time.
Just be honest. You know it will show CNN to be the fake news that they are and you don't want it to be proven to you. Why? I suspect because you are a supporter of the fraud that is being exposed.

But feel free to take 9 minutes out of your life and watch. Hey, you could critique it and show us how it is all incorrect.

Waiting for the next excuse. Let me guess - Its OK because Fox is fake too.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Tru-Anon supporter.

“”Bob””
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by “”Bob”” »

All you have to do is follow the money. Follow people’s motivations.

The media sells advertising. That’s why you watch or read most of them for “free”. They are hoping that you will be drawn in and click on one of the advertisers.

The more interesting the news, the more likely people will read it and be exposed to and click on the ads.

Of course there’s the news that’s behind a paywall as well, and they use the idea that their news is better written or somehow more complete than the free news, which is a certain amount true but not significantly different.

People are motivated by being able to know as much or more than others as soon as possible. The whole information is power and fear of missing out crap.

This is easily manipulated by the media by overhyping...
say... a new respiratory disease coming out of China.

It’s not particularly deadly, nor really anything special as far as diseases go other than it is NEW and DIFFERENT! Forget the flu.. it’s been around forever. Pneumonia is more deadly but there isn’t anything interesting I don’t know about it.

The pioneering media starts hyping it up, more people read, other media picks up on it, more people read. And their ad revenues start to soar as more people consume. It snowballs and COVID-19 figuratively became yet another viral media sensation.

As we get bored of one thing they switch to another. Deaths were going to skyrocket but they didn’t. Then it was the longhaullers witn “scarred lungs” (what does that even mean? My skin is scarred and it works fine). Then the cases. Then the variants.

And once people get bored and want to get on with their lives, they will hype up something new. Maybe it will be the Cold War again? Maybe terrorism will make a comeback?

And as people saw the fear.. either genuine fear of the disease or the herd mentality fear that make people do stupid things like hoard toilet paper, their behaviour adjusts. They start hoarding everything from ammunition to hand sanitizer. Either to prep or to profit.

The ones who are afraid demand that the government do something.. ANYTHING, while those who weren’t afraid, like me, cancel our plans and start hoarding cash for the inevitability that the government will listen to the stupidest of our society.

The government’s motivation is to stay in power. They are thinking about the next election and all of the restrictions are just damage control for what the media has done. They don’t really care. And they likely realize that things like mask use and physical distancing is next to useless in infectious disease control at the provincial or federal level.

No nurses in an MSRA-ridden ICU ever passed by each other by two meters, or wore masks in the cafeteria lineup.

But here we are! How quickly everything changed.

We went from people who were afraid of someone wearing a burka or niqab into a bank because they might rob it or blow it up with SEMTEX because their face is covered and they can’t be identified to the almost violent chastising of complete strangers on the street for not wearing a mask.

The media are happy. They don’t have to look for something new. And that’s the key.. a big long running story with new developments that are overhyped. I mean.. CNN came about because of the 444 day Iranian Hostage Crisis. The OJ Simpson trial and the War on Terror provided nearly endless sources of revenue.

Here in British Columbia, we have people absolutely hysterical about 1000 cases a day.

But what are they comparing it to? To other parts of the world? To other daily COVID-19 case counts?

This is part of the conditioning. Nobody, not even the CDC can tell you how many daily cases there are of other infectious diseases in our province, nation, or in the world.

Given the estimated death rates of many other transmissible respiratory diseases.. I’d bet those figures would topple governments in violent revolution.

This little charade is nothing new. And as long as people can’t think critically... realizing that they are more likely to die in the automobile they think nothing of to go to a 7/11 and get the Doritos that will cause a myocardial infarction or the Pepsi that will give them Type II diabetes.. history will keep repeating itself.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ju_GLKaH4vM

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Bob,

Much of what you say is right. (Especially re the media. Disgusting bottom dwelling scum, most of them. Lowest form of life out there.

I continue to think the governments response is all about maintaining a functioning hospital system, without turning people away who need ICU care, for Covid but also for everything else that still occurs, that needs ICU care in a typical period.

The cost is enormous in mental health and small businesses devastated.

Yet there are only so many doctors and nurses, personally I wouldn't want to be turned away from a car accident or a hundred other things, because no limits were ever established, and I know from first hand information the hospitals here in Toronto have been pushed hard -- it's not fake news. My nurse friend, is nearing 60. Taken lots of extra shifts. She's not superhuman though.

I know of an overseas person -- friend of friends -- who just had to be evaced. No ICU beds, they sent her to the Soo.

As I've said before, and I'm very hard on politicians too...I wouldn't want their job right now. This tempers my criticism.

“”Bob””
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by “”Bob”” »

rookie

The problem with ICU beds and hospital resources is very real, but it’s indicative of a more systemic problem with our healthcare system and also much of it is reactionary due to media sensationalism.

How? If you’re sick you’re sick?

Well, lots of people self-medicate. They won’t go to a hospital but instead stay home with chicken soup and Tylenol and eventually make a full recovery. Hospitals are understaffed or not given enough capacity to take advantage of this.

Insurance operates much the same way. So does the overselling of airline seats. There are plenty of entitlements that go unclaimed and plenty of passengers who don’t board their flights. As long as everyone behaves as they normally do, everything is fine.

I was and still am one of those who absolutely refuses to go to a hospital because of what they might find and what I might get there.

But when I was in my late 20s I came down with pneumonia. I had a resting heart rate of well over 100 and I had no strength. It did require a hospital visit and I needed a week plus IV antibiotics to knock it down.

But a flu? Before 2020 I just rode it out with over the counter stuff. Forget a flu shot.

But now....... someone who would normally stay
home is going to think they are going to have COVID. Policies require a test and so they get one. I know that I will get a test if I have flu like symptoms especially since I fly medevac.

They go get the test or go to emerge and now they are a patient. They probably would have been fine at home but now they are displacing resources for more critical patients. Perhaps those patients were turned away because of full beds? Perhaps they never went when they should have because of overcrowding? Scheduled surgeries are cancelled and other things like acute trauma or other illnesses can’t be dealt with.

And that isn’t all of it. Hospital acquired infections are often the cause of death or much more serious illnesses than what the patient originally came in with. MSRA bacteria is everywhere in hospitals and antibiotics can do little if anything to stop it. What was a relatively healthy person with COVID-19 and a weakened immune system is now a moribund individual who is put in the ICU because they have pneumonia.

That person never needed to be there. But they were driven there by fear and by their actions will be listed as a victim of the very disease they were trying to have treated.

And as you alluded, the fallout from our response to this pandemic is even worse.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

So... ICU is full of fakers and cowards?

They stuck a tube down the throat of someone I know and kept him comatose on a ventilator for 10 days because he didn’t drink enough chicken soup?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:45 pm Bob,

(Especially re the media. Disgusting bottom dwelling scum, most of them. Lowest form of life out there.

"Hey! What about us?" scream the lawyers :lol:

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
Taxivasion
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Taxivasion »

All I know is if you didn't watch TV or own a cell phone you would have no idea there was a "pandemic" One of the healthiest years ever. I haven't seen anyone with even a sniffle this flu season. People need to step back and think about this for a second. Every year there's flu, every year the hospitals are over capacity with hallway healthcare, every year, month, day people die of respiratory complications... This is nothing new, It is now under a microscope with media and everyone is taking the bait.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

There’s definitely a placebo effect and we have thousands of young people showing up at hospitals for primary care thinking they are going to die because the media tells them so. Literally the message right now is that younger people are becoming the victim.

If the message was this is like the flu, stay home and ride it out, come in if you get severe symptoms, this would reduce how many people show up looking for treatment. It’s a very Canadian thing to abuse primary care because guess what, it’s free. And if you feel somewhat sick, heck it can be a social outing for some to just chat with a doctor anyways, won’t cost a penny. I just wonder how the system that Canadians shit in the most, America, was able to handle the pandemic when it was 3x worse there than here. Is our care that fragile?

The mind is a very powerful thing. The very messaging we receive about “what covid is” will definitely impact outcomes. If we declared the pandemic over, stopped testing everyone, said the vaccine is doing its job and most people are protected or young enough to not be impacted. Do you think this would cause hospitals to be any more full than now? Not the expert but I don’t think it would change much. This is a game or mental perception more than anything, I think it’s been pretty clear that so far government policy hasn’t done very much in changing the amount of spread.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Check out these tweets in response to Ted Cruz saying he won’t wear a mask anymore.
Who is insane? Ted or the people who wrote these tweets?
By Mary Redden’s logic, it looks like as long as people are in the hospital with covid we should wear a mask? Where was she during flu season advocating this? Looks like she will never accept mask removal because experts say covid will be around like a seasonal virus indefinitely and is not likely to go away. Donny thinks Ted is a snowflake, and can understand how even with vaccines everyone is going to die unless Ted wears a mask! What a jerk Ted is eh! Honestly IMO the biggest threat to us is the stupidity of the average person... but you probably say that about me when I say masks are useless. :lol: . For all of you laid off out of work just look how hard people are pushing for that to continue. The media has made everyone completely idiotic.
9F9A4F71-2F0E-4B6B-BE97-BE0952FC26F6.jpeg
9F9A4F71-2F0E-4B6B-BE97-BE0952FC26F6.jpeg (406.72 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
31935536-A216-44EC-98B6-736FB8F6088E.jpeg
31935536-A216-44EC-98B6-736FB8F6088E.jpeg (455.3 KiB) Viewed 1792 times

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

montado wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:22 am And if you feel somewhat sick, heck it can be a social outing for some to just chat with a doctor anyways, won’t cost a penny.
This is truly a bizarre post. How much time have you spent in an ER waiting to see a DR?

I have, and it's not pleasant. Try thinking before you post.

Return to “Covid”