"Blacklisted" Several Times

Any comments or suggestions can be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, avcanada

The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

"Blacklisted" Several Times

Post by The Old Fogducker »

Hi Folks:

I really enjoy posting to AvCanada's forum but for the last few weeks I've been having trouble posting because I've found myself "blacklisted" and have to go through the process to request being de-listed, which works after anything from 30 minutes to an hour.

This has happened 3 or maybe 4 times now.

Now here's the thing .. it says I may have a virus, trojan, or spyware and to use the MicroSoft malware removal tool to find and kill the problem file. I've used a full scan by Ad Aware, The MS Malware Removal program, a full scan by AVG Anti-Virus, and Registry Mechanic and have never found any malware after the ban which prompted the scans.

Requesting de-listing seems to work every time, but is quite irritating to type out a few hundred words and not know if they are going to be lost.

Any tips on how to get off the CBL List permanently? It really is a giant pain in the patoot!

I say again, I do not have any malware which is detectable by several different programs with up to date definitions.

The Old Fogducker
---------- ADS -----------

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: "Blacklisted" Several Times

Post by 2R »

I thought that insensitive racist posts got you blacklisted :wink: :wink:

square
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by square »

that's weird, I post way dumber stuff than you do and I have not encountered this snag.

as far as malware on your computer, I can't imagine any way that avcanada's server could detect this on your computer. there's no hard drive scan or anything when you post so there shouldn't be any information sent to flag your posts.

maybe just stop attaching nudy pics?

The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

2R ... insensitive? ... depends on the reader I guess. Racist? .. never....pretty funny accusation actually, since I've had a black foster son for over 20 years.

OFD

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

The Old Fogducker wrote:2R ... insensitive? ... depends on the reader I guess. Racist? .. never....pretty funny accusation actually, since I've had a black foster son for over 20 years.

OFD
Sir ,
My unreserved apologies to you foggy as i never intended any accusation against your goodself or your posts.Sadly my attempt at humour has missed its mark again .And for that i am truly sorry if you felt any offence at was not intended to be offensive.I usually only worry about my spelling ,The written word does lack the intonation the spoken word offers ,and often the written word can be interpreted in ways the writter never intended.My feeble attempts at humour will have to be sharpened so as not to give offence where none was intended.
That said I am sorry OFD

The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

2R ... thanks a million for that note.

I appreciate that the keyboard is not the same as an in-person conversation.

I may have been a little overly sensitive too, as I had just received a warning from the host of a radio broadcasting forum regarding "toning down" my posts discussing man-made global warming and "chemtrails" being sprayed on the general population as a method of mind control.

You can imagine that I had been far from kind to those radio and TV reporter nutbars that think "we" in aviation are causing increased cancer rates because "we" are spraying them as a part of a government mind control program.

They also didn't like being told that a large forest fire dumps more pollution into the atmosphere than all the factories in the lower mainland running at full speed ahead.

Anyway, thanks again for the note.

The Old Fogducker

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Just a note, as I think OFD already knows this, it was not AvCanada that "blacklisted" his IP.

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

That does raise the question of if not AvCanada that is blacklisting me, then who? .. and how do I bypass those dastardly beggars who are in control of my computer, and to what end are "they" using my IP address?

Anyone sufficiently knowledgeable to help out on this?

OFD

The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Well, hush my mouth ... I might just maybe, have located the trouble.

Lets give it some time before I declare this functional.

fortis risk
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by fortis risk »

So lets hear it what's the real reason?

Fools take to themselves the respect that is given to their office. Aesop
The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Methinks it was me!

I had re-installed an anti-spyware program called "Spybot, Search and Destroy" a few months ago. I've since removed it.

It somehow came to believe that posting on AvCanada was a bad thing, and attempted to protect me from the type of person that would hang out here I guess.

Anyway, fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for luck, I think I may have found the problem, but lets give it a few more posts before I call it done.

OFD

lilfssister
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by lilfssister »

The Old Fogducker wrote: It somehow came to believe that posting on AvCanada was a bad thing, and attempted to protect me from the type of person that would hang out here I guess.

OFD
Who knew free software was so smart?? ;)

The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Well, I think I'm ready to pronounce the problem cured!

OFD

The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Alas .... I attempted to enlighten the viewers of AvCanada with a post yesterday and got the same "blacklisted" warning.

The CBL says I have a trojan (not the one in my wallet) or a virus, or spyware, but a scan by 3 different malware programs comes up clean.

I'll continue to look into this...... a Google search has turned up lots of others using this (or similar) forum software having similar difficulties.

It seems I blamed Spybot Search & Destroy mistakenly.

Fog

Phlyer
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Phlyer »

The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Thanks for thinking of me Foto, but I've already used AVG and it comes up clean.

OFD

PAJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PAJ »

If you have the patience, try this one. The full tool is not free but the scan is. Not a scam like other software trying to suck you into buying their product. Company is 100% on the up and up. At least it will confirm if you do or do not have an issue; then you can decide how to proceed. http://www.ccsoftware.ca/escan/mwav.cfm

Flight takes MORE than Airspeed and Money ...
The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

PAJ ... thanks, but it came up clean.

Fog

PAJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PAJ »

Fog

Certainly not an expert in this area but I know that blacklisting software/programs are automatic; meaning no one is sitting there watching and deciding. There is a configurable tolerance level for acceptable and unacceptable. Cross the line and wham, your IP is blacklisted. Additionally, these programs often blacklist the entire range of offenders IP Addresses. It is possible that someone else who has the same internet provider as you and has an IP Address in the same range as yours is the offending character. You just get caught in the trap.

So, suggestions:

If you are with a dynamically assigned provider (e.g. Sympatico) than unplugging your modem for a period of time and then plugging it back should generate a new IP Address. 5-10 minutes should do the trick.

If you are on cable (Rogers, Cogeco, Videotron) than you will need to call them and ask if they can assign a new address for you.

Before you do any of the above visit http://whatismyipaddress.com/ and make note of your address before and after. If you are really bored and want to fall asleep, have a read here: http://whatismyip.com/faq/how-to-change ... ddress.asp

HTH

Flight takes MORE than Airspeed and Money ...
The Old Fogducker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

PAJ:

That was a very interesting link. I found my IP was listed on several blacklisted sites, and that a block of IPs is listed....

I'll do a little more snooping around and see what I need to do next.

In the meantime, the admin has suspended the lookup feature in the forum software and that allows me to continue to post, but I'd sure like to get this fixed......another thing, I'm not at my normal home for the next few months ... even the Old Fogducker needs to accept employment every now and then to be able to feed the tropical fish and cats ... not to mention a wife!

Thanks again,
Fog

Return to “Forum Suggestion and Announcements”