Guidence please

Having difficulties with AvCanada Forums, the internet etc.. ask your questions here.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Mapleflt
Rank 6
Rank 6

Guidence please

#1 Post by Mapleflt » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:24 am

So first off I will be soon switching to an Apple product, now for which one?

I am not a gamer, I do watch the ocassional Youtube style clip but I have never watched a complete movie on a laptop. Just an average websurfer, light documents from time to time. I have admired some of the apps my son has on his Ipod, very cool. So is it an Ipad2 or one of the laptops, either MacAir or MacBook. It looks like for a same price a MacBook is the better deal over the MacAir but would a highend Ipad do all I need or want. A little guidence from those who know would help.

Thank you in advance,

Mapleflag
---------- ADS -----------

moocow
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Guidence please

#2 Post by moocow » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:03 pm

Took a look at the Apple website and I see the MacAir and MacBook haven't been updated yet. So I suggest you hold off on buying them until you see i3 or i5 processor in them. The prices should remain the same. What kind of documents do you have in mind? Like just reading PDF or actually editing text and spread sheets? IMO, the iPad is a rip off since it's just a stretched up iTouch. If you like the size but hate the fact that it got no keyboard, just get a MacAir or MacBook. I would also suggest you wait until OSX Lion, coming out this summer, since Apple is really pushing their App Store to the laptop and desktop area.

Mapleflt
Rank 6
Rank 6

#3 Post by Mapleflt » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:55 pm

Thanks Moocow,

I had a long chat with Ms. Apple at the Apple Store today. With your thoughts in mind I am now leaning towards the MacAir, lightweight is a required feature . Sounds like you think I should wait a bit yet, ok. Any kind of timeline in mind? Will any of the changes that you would like to see be available as an upgrade at a later date. Please excuss my questions, to say I am technologically challenged would be a huge understatement.

To answer some of your questions, I have create or edit the occasional PDF and Powerpoint but primarly its either in word or excel documents.

I guess at the end of the day a MacAir/MacBook is a computer where as the IPad, while very cool is more of a !!!!!!!

Thanks again,

Mapleflag

moocow
Rank 7
Rank 7

#4 Post by moocow » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:49 pm

IMO, iPad is a media consumption device and that's it. It lets you look at clips, browse some website (as long as it doesn't use Flash), and figure out where you are using a GPS (depend on which model you got). It appears that most of their small Mac laptop suffer from overheating issues. Just Google MacBook Air & overheating. Frankly, it scares me that it may overheat just watching any video streaming. I guess that's the trade off between proper heat management and looking pretty.

Return to “Internet and Computer Help”