C180 vs C182 on floats

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

C180 vs C182 on floats

Post by Bede »

Would anyone be able to provide a comparison? Advantages/disadvantages? It seems you can get a later model C182 cheaper than a 180.
---------- ADS -----------

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: C180 vs C182 on floats

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Not sure why your asking such a question Bede...

A 182 is the same airplane as a 180 but with a nose wheel...

On floats they are the same!

All the best,
TPC

Edited to add:

Early model 180's will have a lower empty weight (generally speaking) than late 1960-1970 models... Assuming they haven't been weighted down over the years they will carry as much as a late model 185!

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

I guess it depends what you want to do with it. I've spent a lot of time in the last two winters instructing on a 182 on floats. It had the Pponk ?470? Conversion, so lots of jam, and refined manners with electric flaps - call it 'the gentleman's floatplane'. My perception of a 180 (haven't flow one since 1997) is that it's a little more rough around the edges - more of a working plane.
Then again, if you were looking for a family hauler , maybe the 182 would be the way to go, as there's less likelihood that it's been used commercially, and flogged around by rookie commercial pilots ...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
DHC2eater
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DHC2eater »

I agree with Northshore for the most part...

However, after 1962 there is a significant difference to elevator/trim between the two......this is most notable in the area of takeoff performance at gross weight ,with the 180 coming out ahead every time ....

A 180 in good condition that has not been to the bottom of a lake and back is hard to find.....good 182's are everywhere with the Q model having a TBO of 2000 hrs

All my comments address these aircraft on floats.

Eater

Tips Up
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tips Up »

The 182 will give you more shoulder width then either the 180 or 185 which is nicer with bigger passengers.

Some like the electric flaps but on floats I have always preferred the manual flaps. Less fuss and you always know where your flap setting is. Also easier to pop in an extra notch to get you up when loaded.
But that's a huge debate.

Many of the 180 and 185's came from the factory with corrosion proofing which the 182s did not. Probably not an issue if not saltwater.

If only running on fresh water, the 182 can be a really nice set up for less money. The 180 or 185 is my choice as I go back and forth between water and wheels/skis.

182-SS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 182-SS »

They started as the same machine however the 182 changed over the years
Elevator trim (trim tab vs. full elevator trim), Flaps (Electric Vs Johnson Bar) , corrosion proofing on many of the 180's vs almost none of the 182's, CofG (182 being a nose wheel) and the cabin size ( 182 is far more comfortable due to its increased width. same as the 206), The swept back tail vs straight tail of the 180 are the main differences between the two. I find the straight tail has slightly more authority.

Only Seaplanes West and Wipair are doing float conversions as the 182 did not and does not come from factory with the float kit.
The Wipair conversion uses the nose wheel attachment at the firewall for the float strut attachment which makes a triangle to the center, this design has caused a number of issues with wrinkled fire walls.
The Seaplanes west kit uses beefed up doublers' and attaches on ether side of the fire wall, Wipair is now going to this design.

When you're light weight, they both perform just fine, when they are heavy they are both dogs compared to the 185 or the 182 with an engine conversion. One thing to note is the stock prop on the 182 is an 82" for ground clearance due to the nose wheel, you will need to change it out to a 88" seaplane prop or the 3 blade. The short prop just doesn't pull hard enough and must be changed.

They both have their pros and cons and its mostly opinion from your preferences.
While I miss the Manual flaps, the cabin width is a trade off I don't think I can live without anymore. But it sure was nice to be able to yank a couple of notches of flap to pop it out of the water when necessary. I typically roll a float now if I'm in need to break off the water.

A really nice perk of the 182 is so many of them in the US are hangar kept cream puffs with leather seats and updated avionics. If you do the float kit (and perhaps the engine yourself, highly recommended!) you can have your pick of the litter, You can find very low time ones for very good prices.

If you do the engine upgrade you can get an up gross to 3360 lbs on the 182 through Seaplanes west.
Wipair was working on their version of an up gross but to my knowledge haven't completed it and has been put on the back burner.

If you fly heavy a lot then this is worth while looking into. And due to the extra weight on the nose with the engine conversion on the 182 the performance is actually very good with the cargo area loaded rather than the tail heavy situation you get on the 180/185

Call Jim at Seaplanes West, he knows his stuff, but make sure you get your quote all inclusive and in writing.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Just out of curiosity would it not be more economical to just buy a more capable 185 than a 182 and have to do an engine and float conversion?

182-SS
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 182-SS »

fish4life wrote:Just out of curiosity would it not be more economical to just buy a more capable 185 than a 182 and have to do an engine and float conversion?
Yes is the short answer, however it is not that simple. Most of the 182's being converted end up being a 180,000 to 300,000 machine,(with new Aerocet or wipline floats etc) this is right in line with 185's that are of the same vintage that have all the bells and whistles like the 182s typically do (new garmins etc) but its hard to find a 185 that is a cream puff, most have been worked, many have been looped on wheels, some have seen the bottom of lakes.

If you are ok with a slightly higher time machine, and older avionics and floats, absolutely you can get a very solid, great performing 185 for cheaper than doing a conversion. but not that much cheaper, check out controller or cs-ent for pricing. But the big kicker is the narrow cabin for most buyers. the 180/185 is the same width as the 172, and the 182 is far more comfortable as it is the same as the 206, yet there is no performance penalty. the 182 with the IO550 is actually far easier to keep cool during climb than the 185, CHT rarely rise even close to dangerous levels. So as I said before there are +'s and -'s to each and its all to do with your preferences.

Getting to choose your hangar kept 182 cream puff from the 100's out there is like being a kid in a candy store. You can find some absolute beauties hiding.

GreenStar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by GreenStar »

The wider cabin 182 did not come out until the early 60's, prior to that it was same width as the 180-185. I think a later model 182 with the bigger engine would be dandy, if you could live without the Johnson bar flap control.

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

Flown both, love my 182 on Edo 2870's. Pponk 470-50 engine has a 2000hr TBO. Only operational issue I've noticed is that the 182 with the slanted tail seems less willing to turn downwind at idle taxi. PM for more info.

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Air Tids,

How much do you pay for maintenance/year (excluding prop/engine overhaul)? How many hours do you fly per year?

How much for prop/engine overhaul (all in, removal and reinstallation)? Around $30k every 2000h/10yrs?

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

Bede,

Check PMs

Tids

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”