2015 Float season.

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: 2015 Float season.

Post by awitzke »

---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by awitzke on Mon May 11, 2015 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monorail Conductor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Monorail Conductor »

As a copilot on a 705 turboprop: 1500 TT, with 200 hours as a cojoe on a Twin Otter from a couple of summers when i was starting out in YZF, What sort of expectations are realistic for landing a dockhand/PIC float-gig on a piston single?

I realize having twocrew multi IFR time isn't really of any benefit in this case, but do float operators even look favorably on right seat twin otter float time?

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Kind of depends on the operator, and also on the applicant, where the time was spent, with who, etc. I would say if I was interviewing a candidate for Cessna pilot, or maybe even Beaver pilot, who had time as a twin-otter co-joe, I would at least be interested enough to ask him to tell me more about his experience. If you don't come across as a big fat know-it-all, I would cautiously say that your time on the Twin Otter would count in your favour. Apply for some jobs and see what happens.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Groundloop wrote:
shimmydampner wrote:
I for one hope that companies continue to have a hard time finding float drivers and the market value for ones with experience starts going up.
It seems like that time should of arrived by now, wonder what's taking it so long to catch up?
I actually have a theory on that based on nothing other than pure conjecture on my part so take it for what it's worth. I believe that over the last decade or two, the number of young pilots pursuing float/bush flying has (sadly) been steadily decreasing. However, over roughly the same time period and especially the last decade, the bush flying industry has shrunk in kind, due to a few factors, not the least of which are economic ones. Just about every far flung community has a runway with some form of regular wheeled air service now. American fishermen and hunters don't have as much money to spend on the fly-in trips that tourism operators were buiIt on. Mining exploration is hit or miss depending on the whims of the market that year. I think float flying has dwindled about as far down as it can, but it's decline is just now being surpassed by the steady decline of new aspiring float pilots, and as such, we are just now starting to see the first twitches of desperation to find experienced float pilots. Like I said, hopefully it translates to a big adjustment in float pilot pay across the board because even what is thought of as a handsome monthly wage that top end guys get, actually translates to a very modest annual income for someone who often must possess all the skills of a similarly or better paid IFR pilot, plus a whole other more difficult and dangerous skill set.

Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

What kind of pay increase do you guys usually get each year? Given how competitive it is getting I think going back to the same company warrants at least a $500/month raise.

It's kind of strange that a few years ago I was sending out resumes and begging for my first job and now i'm getting unsolicited job offers from places I never applied to. I only have around 2000 on floats. I think you will see lots of 750 hour guys flying turbine otters pretty soon.

ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ragbagflyer »

shimmydampner wrote:I actually have a theory on that based on nothing other than pure conjecture on my part so take it for what it's worth. I believe that over the last decade or two, the number of young pilots pursuing float/bush flying has (sadly) been steadily decreasing. However, over roughly the same time period and especially the last decade, the bush flying industry has shrunk in kind, due to a few factors, not the least of which are economic ones. Just about every far flung community has a runway with some form of regular wheeled air service now. American fishermen and hunters don't have as much money to spend on the fly-in trips that tourism operators were buiIt on. Mining exploration is hit or miss depending on the whims of the market that year. I think float flying has dwindled about as far down as it can, but it's decline is just now being surpassed by the steady decline of new aspiring float pilots, and as such, we are just now starting to see the first twitches of desperation to find experienced float pilots. Like I said, hopefully it translates to a big adjustment in float pilot pay across the board because even what is thought of as a handsome monthly wage that top end guys get, actually translates to a very modest annual income for someone who often must possess all the skills of a similarly or better paid IFR pilot, plus a whole other more difficult and dangerous skill set.
I hope you're right but in all likely hood I think instead of higher wages we're more likely to see a steadier stream of newly licensed float pilots getting flying jobs sooner and perhaps progressing to larger machines more quickly. Then, after couple seasons on Otters most will still move on to the IFR world. Even 10 grand a month for four months doesn't make for comfortable lifestyle.

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)
SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

I wouldn't say "progressing" to IFR and larger airframes.

In many ways flying floats is much more challenging and rewarding compared to white glove IFR ops.

I fly single pilot on demand IFR in a PC12, if I could have the same nice schedule, pay and benifits, I'd jump at a VFR float job.

ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ragbagflyer »

SuperchargedRS wrote:I wouldn't say "progressing" to IFR and larger airframes.

In many ways flying floats is much more challenging and rewarding compared to white glove IFR ops.

I fly single pilot on demand IFR in a PC12, if I could have the same nice schedule, pay and benifits, I'd jump at a VFR float job.
I was referring to progressing to the larger float equipped machines. I'm one of the lucky ones that can make it work year after year with a four and a half month season; sadly that isn't a long term option for many.

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)
Invertago
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Invertago »

So, has the season started for anyone (excluding the season-less west coast of course) Have the lakes melted up north yet?

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message. However, a rather large number of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.
awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Last edited by awitzke on Mon May 11, 2015 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

We're going to start training pilots middle of next week and hoping the following week we can get into some of our lakes. I did a little fly around yesterday to check out a few places and it looks way better than last year.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”