Super Otter - Texas Turbine Conversion

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Gards
Rank 2
Rank 2

Super Otter - Texas Turbine Conversion

#1 Post by Gards » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:41 am

Good Day,

I am hoping to find someone who is or has flown the converted otter with the Garret 900hp.

Ideally looking for operators who are using them in big open water.

Also anyone who is or has flown the Caravan with the same conversion please drop me a message.

Gards
---------- ADS -----------

ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Super Otter - Texas Turbine Conversion

#2 Post by ragbagflyer » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:22 pm

PM sent
"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)

esp803

Re: Super Otter - Texas Turbine Conversion

#3 Post by esp803 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:13 pm

SuperVan 900, spanks every other itteration of caravan, including the Blackhawk and the EX. The big difference I think comes from the amount of torque being generated by the engine.

208B: 1865ft/lbs (675hp)
Blackhawk: 2230ft/lbs (850hp)
EX: 2490ft/lbs (872hp)
Supervan: 2900ft/lbs (900hp)

On floats:

The supervan cruises at an honest 165kts at about 350lbs an hour, the EX does about 160kts at 420lbs an hour, granted it's 4 feet longer with bigger floats and is heavier. It spends about the same amount of time on the water as the Garret Otter but uses a little more realestate as it is going faster when it gets off the water. Once off the water, and I suspect RBF will attest to this, it pretty beats the otter hands down in cruise speed and climb rate. If you have big things to move and are going into short places, or big water I'd go with the otter.... or.... A Grand Caravan with a 331-12JR on wip 8750's. The new floats are a huge improvement over the old ones, in that the back of the floats stay out of the water when at gross, they have easy access inspection panes down the length, the float compartments are substantially bigger, and a big one is that there is no fairing round the spreader bars. They had a tendency to rattle loose with both the pratt and garret caravans, and need to be tightened every night. The 8750s have gone to more of an Edo design of spreader bar. On the Wip 8000's, the caravan is a bit of brute when it comes to steering, it does have a nice characteristic of always spinning to the left in "neutral" which means you can bring it into some pretty tight places offside. Also, once you are at full power on the slide, you will need full left rudder until you are pretty much on the step, plan accordingly because you cannot turn left until you have some speed. Also with the Supervan, you can't force it onto the step, it will just go HARD right if you try. It's the easiest float plane I've ever flow, just add the power, wait 10 seconds and you will be in the air and climbing fast.

Once I get a little more time with the EX on floats I'll let you know how it handles compared to the supervan.

Enough Rambling, PM if you need more info, I suspect RBF has probably sent you everything that I am able to tell you.

Cheers,

E

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”